Special Diet Nerves

debdiva

I'm a vegetarian with a tomato allergy. Our TA always notifies the cruise line of the situation. On our first HAL cruise, everything pretty much went fine. On our second HAL cruise, the food situation was a nightmare. Despite ordering from the special menu the night before, I never received my entree until the rest of the table was on dessert or gone to the late show. Often, it was not what I requested. DH and I swore we would never cruise HAL again. Darn it all, HAL has a perfect itinerary that no one else offers. Now, I'm sweating the food situation. I was told I should do fixed seating, notify the ship of my food requirements, provide a list of typical meals and everything will be fine. It wasn't fine last time. Now, we're wait listed for fixed seating and I'm close to tears with fear of 22 days of what I experienced for seven days last time.

Does anyone have experience with special diets on HAL and suggestions of how to avoid a mess?

I'm a vegetarian with a tomato allergy. Our TA always notifies the cruise line of the situation. On our first HAL cruise, everything pretty much went fine. On our second HAL cruise, the food situation was a nightmare. Despite ordering from the special menu the night before, I never received my entree until the rest of the table was on dessert or gone to the late show. Often, it was not what I requested. DH and I swore we would never cruise HAL again. Darn it all, HAL has a perfect itinerary that no one else offers. Now, I'm sweating the food situation. I was told I should do fixed seating, notify the ship of my food requirements, provide a list of typical meals and everything will be fine. It wasn't fine last time. Now, we're wait listed for fixed seating and I'm close to tears with fear of 22 days of what I experienced for seven days last time.

Does anyone have experience with special diets on HAL and suggestions of how to avoid a mess?

Go to the dining room as soon as you board and explain the problem in person to the Maitre d'.

I agree that fixed seating would be a better choice than anytime with the dietary restrictions.

Or--ask your TA to call HAL and explain the problem you had on your last cruise and its suggestions.

I cruised with a friend on Carnival last year with similar issues (vegetarian, no garlic or onion), and they bent over backwards to accommodate her. But--we ate fixed dining and in the dining room for almost every meal.

If the maître d' can't move you to fixed dining, make a reservation for that night. If you like the waitstaff at that table and feel they will be able to get you the right food, talk to the maître d' on the way out and tell him you want that reservation for the rest of the week. They may not agree to reserve a whole week, they usually say it's only for a few days. But considering your need, they might go ahead and do it. If they don't, just remind them every night on the way out.

I did know someone who needed gluten-free food. She got open seating and was very worried that her meal wouldn't "find" her. But it did. So they can get it right.

I hope it works out for you. I'm a Jersey Girl through and through and I cannot imagine life without tomatoes!

Here is Hal's vegetarian menu.

VEGETARIAN/VEGAN MENU

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofo Kabob (vegan)

Now make sure you talk to the MDR Maitre d' and tell him about your needs and allergies. I personally see plenty of food on this menu that does not have tomatos it it. There really shouldn't be any problems. If you want you can go to the lido and pick out the food you want. There should be plenty there to your liking again without tomatos.

Well at least you're in the Zuiderdam. They have about the best food and food service on the HAL fleet.

There's other options for eating besides the main dining room if you absolutely won't accept anytime dining. I'm a vegetarian, no allergies, and the Zuiderdam has never been a problem for me getting enough to eat. I eat in the main dining room about half the time and always anytime dining. The rest of the time I just go to the Lido. After a day out on shore I don't usually feel like dressing up and sitting through a lengthy dinner.

We took a grand daughter with a list of food issues longer than what she CAN eat... and we had Open Dining... it worked great. Her pre-selected dinners found her very easily.

They really didn't prepare anything special for her, she just had to find what was safe for her and order it without sauce, gravy, stuffing, etc.

The grill would make her lunch in a fresh pan to avoid contamination.

Just to show just you how complex it was: no meat other than poultry; no fish, eggs, dairy, wheat, legumes, tropical fruits, no soy and absolutely no peanuts or peanut oils or derivatives.

Open dining went fine. Room service went fine. Lido chef helped answer all our questions and was always available to help us.

Have a great cruise and Bon Appetite! m--

PS We did order a refrigerator for the room ($2/day) and brought some of her special foods - she took what she needed to dinner in a tote bag.

Edited by RMLincoln

We travelled with an extended family group on the Oosterdam 18 months ago and one of the children could not tolerate gluten and had a number of other food allergies.

Unfortunately we didn't have fixed dining, but then once we boarded the HAL dining room staff stepped up and organised everything for us. They were wonderful.

I hope you have the same experience we did - and a tremendous cruise.

If the maître d' can't move you to fixed dining, make a reservation for that night. If you like the waitstaff at that table and feel they will be able to get you the right food, talk to the maître d' on the way out and tell him you want that reservation for the rest of the week. They may not agree to reserve a whole week, they usually say it's only for a few days. But considering your need, they might go ahead and do it. If they don't, just remind them every night on the way out.

I did know someone who needed gluten-free food. She got open seating and was very worried that her meal wouldn't "find" her. But it did. So they can get it right.

I hope it works out for you. I'm a Jersey Girl through and through and I cannot imagine life without tomatoes!

Last time we were on HAL (Zuiderdam and Westerdam) there were no reservations possible in the open seating from 18.30-20.00, only first come first serve with long lines. Not even for the Neptune suites guests.

Edited by jongbj

Last time we were on HAL (Zuiderdam and Westerdam) there were no reservations possible in the open seating from 18.30-20.00, only first come first serve with long lines. Not even for the Neptune suites guests.

That's true. But the OP wanted fixed dining, so that means she wouldn't be seated during those times, either.

We have sailed several times with a friend who has multiple food allergies. At the beginning of each cruise she met with the Lido Head Chef and worked out menus of what she could eat. He stopped by our table every night to confirm her meals for the next day. We were all treated so well by the Lido chefs and stewards. They have always been very caring and considerate.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It sounds like it should always work the way it did our first time, not our second time. The second time was a nightmare! Yes, we notified the ship, yes we notified the dining room manager, yes I picked my meals every evening for the next evening. I did everything I could think, but it didn't work. I was nearly in tears because DH missed the entertainment every night because he wouldn't go without me. I am not exaggerating when I say I was the last passenger served in the MDR every night!

I'm hoping that MS Amsterdam cruise was an aberration. I don't think I could handle 22 nights of that.

Thanks for assuring me that it can work right.

Call the "Special Needs" dept....all cruise lines have them. Tell them what you need, then confirm on the ship. They do a great job.

OP's post starting this thread began by stating they had contacted HAL of her dietary needs.

Our experience with special dietary needs on board has always been positive, also. But I do know that there are times when HAL has been known to drop the ball, as any business can.

I would suggest that if you do have another issue like your Amsterdam cruise, you immediatly relate your concerns to the Maitre D', and explain you are not willing to accept it this time. If he is unable to provide good service the next meal, I would then escalate it to the next level of management right away.

HAL prides themselves on good service. Occasionally they miss, but the management level is usually quick to rectify any problems or concerns.

I personally believe your Amsterdam experience was rare as opposed to the normal. I sincerely hope your upcoming cruise will be a wonderful and memorable trip for all the right reasons.

I hope you can relax and not worry too much before your cruise. You know from your first cruise that they do know how to do it well. Think positive thoughts that you will have the same experience this time! :)

That's true. But the OP wanted fixed dining, so that means she wouldn't be seated during those times, either.

yes, but what you want and what you get are 2 different things on HAL.

E.g. we have always booked 'open seating' for our cruises (all in neptune suites) only to find out when boarding that we were ALWAYS put in second seating fixed.

Which resulted in ALWAYS having to discuss this with the Maitre'D the first night when we would show up at open seating, and at first being refused since we had 'fixed seating'.

If the OP does not have a confirmation of the first seating it imho is unlikely she will get that while on board. No matter if you are in a Neptune or not.

yes, but what you want and what you get are 2 different things on HAL.

E.g. we have always booked 'open seating' for our cruises (all in neptune suites) only to find out when boarding that we were ALWAYS put in second seating fixed.

Which resulted in ALWAYS having to discuss this with the Maitre'D the first night when we would show up at open seating, and at first being refused since we had 'fixed seating'.

If the OP does not have a confirmation of the first seating it imho is unlikely she will get that while on board. No matter if you are in a Neptune or not.

I think you misunderstood me. My point was that the inability to get a reservation in the middle of the dining time shouldn't matter to the OP because her first choice was to have one of the fixed times. The times when she CAN make a reservation for open seating are similar to the times of the fixed dining. So if she is willing to accept the early or late timeframe for fixed, she should be able to find a reservable time that works for her.

The reason you were refused at open seating was that you had been assigned to the fixed dining time. If you have fixed dining you can't just show up at open dining and expect to be seated. Their system shows that you're in the wrong place, and staff will try to send you where you're supposed to be, especially on the first night when they have to deal with passengers who don't understand the system and show up in the wrong place or at the wrong time.

In the future, if you don't get open seating when you board, go to the maître d' to request the change that afternoon, not at dinner time. The location and time that the maître d' will be available is in the daily program. It's usually in the MDR or a nearby lounge. Or you can ask the concierge to help you if you're in a Neptune suite. From my experience and from what I've read here, it's easier to be moved from fixed to open than to be moved from open to fixed.

[quote name= cut other stuff

In the future' date=' if you don't get open seating when you board, go to the maître d' to request the change that afternoon, not at dinner time. The location and time that the maître d' will be available is in the daily program. It's usually in the MDR or a nearby lounge. Or you can ask the concierge to help you if you're in a Neptune suite. From my experience and from what I've read here, it's easier to be moved from fixed to open than to be moved from open to fixed.[/quote]

I most likely have misunderstood the OP, no worries there.

We did always go to the concierge in the Nepunes Lounge, imho the first point of contact of Neptune Suite guests, that's one of the reasons to pay extra. They always stated to just to diner when we wanted. When confronting them with previous experience, it was always explained that this would not happen this time.

At some point we just had them print new keycards with the correct information because the guy at the MDR would not understand that the information on the keycard was wrong.

Now we sail Regent and SilverSea and don't have the issue of being put into fixed seating as they have none.