Using Fort Lauderdale Airport for Miami Port Cruises

CintiPam

The only direct flight our favorite airline (Delta) runs into the Miami area is to Fort Lauderdale, arriving at 12:06 PM, with the direct departure back to Cincinnati at 12:40 PM. These times appear adequate for our cruise from the Port of Miami.

Has anyone lately used Fort Lauderdale for cruises from the Port of Miami? If so, was your experience OK?

Also, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations of a good shuttle company for the trip each way.

Please note that I already have reviewed the port of call forum but really would like to hear from fellow Oceania cruisers.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Edited by CintiPam

The only direct flight our favorite airline (Delta) runs into the Miami area is to Fort Lauderdale, arriving at 12:06 PM, with the direct departure back to Cincinnati at 12:40 PM. These times appear adequate for our cruise from the Port of Miami.

Has anyone lately used Fort Lauderdale for cruises from the Port of Miami? If so, was your experience OK?

Also, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations of a good shuttle company for the trip each way.

Please note that I already have reviewed the port of call forum but really would like to hear from fellow Oceania cruisers.

We always fly into FLL as we do not like MIA. We have done this numerous times. We use SAS Transport to/from FLL to POM. $15 per person each way. We usually arrive a day earlier and stay in FLL. SAS will pick you up at airport or your hotel. Your time frame is perfect, I see no problem with getting to and from in plenty of time. SAS is clean, friendly and competent. You of course will be in a van with others. They have trailers for luggage. You must have reservations in advance. http://www.ridesas.com

This transportation information comes from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport website:

Travel Time to the Port of Miami

Travel time to the Port of Miami is about 45 minutes without traffic. We recommend allowing at least 90 minutes for travel, especially during morning and evening rush hour.

Transportation Options to the Port of Miami

There are four transportation options from FLL to the Port of Miami: shared ride, luxury sedan, taxi cab, and train.

Shared Ride - GO Airport Shuttle offers shared van rides (per person) for $21 to the Port of Miami. A van will hold a maximum of ten passengers. They accept cash and are equipped with a credit card acceptance machine.

Luxury Sedan - GO Airport Shuttle also offers luxury sedan rides (for up to four people) for $70.

For more information, visit GO Airport Shuttle or call 800-244-8252/ 954-561-8888.

Taxi Cab - Taxi cabs are also available from FLL. The fee will be about $67. Cabs accept up to five people for the fare stated on the taxi’s meter. They also accept credit cards.

Last February we took the Rivièra out of Miami. We were meeting family members who live in Davey (Fort Lauderdale area). We flew into Miami the day before and stayed at a hotel near the airport. We left for the cruise at the same time as the Fort Lauderdale people. With traffic on our route very heavy due to a marathon just completed, both groups arrived at exactly the some time! What I'm trying to say is there is no real way to determine the time it could take. You will make your flight going home easily. As an aside, we flew home from Fort Lauderdale because that pairing cost less. We shared a car service with our Davey family and were still at the airport several hours before our early afternoon flight departed.

We also avoid the Miami airport. DOJO466's recommendation is a good one. It is especially important to have arranged transport back to the airport after the cruise. The taxi line is always a long mess.

We hate MIA and will always fly into FLL. Nice and easy transfer process ... traffic has never been a problem. We used SAS ... made reservations ... call upon arrival and they were there with 5 minutes. Trip back to FLL they have always had a van or two at the dock waiting for passengers (with reservations). As mentioned above - you do share the van with others.

Thanks to all who posted their experiences. We have gone ahead and purchased our direct flight tickets from Cincinnati to Fort Lauderdale on Delta for our January Mayan Mystique cruise.

We requested deviation for the same flights from Oceania but for the $350 more they would charge us they still would not fly us directly home but would make us wait in Miami until mid-afternoon and then stop in Detroit for a 3-1/2 hour layover.

Thanks to all who posted their experiences. We have gone ahead and purchased our direct flight tickets from Cincinnati to Fort Lauderdale on Delta for our January Mayan Mystique cruise.

We requested deviation for the same flights from Oceania but for the $350 more they would charge us they still would not fly us directly home but would make us wait in Miami until mid-afternoon and then stop in Detroit for a 3-1/2 hour layover.

Pam, something is wrong with this picture.

If you request a deviation, then YOU get to pick the flights, not Oceania.

The only possible hiccup would be that there might be an upcharge for the flights that you request, but under no circumstances would you not choose the route.

What IS going on?? :eek:

All things being fairly equal, Ft. Lauderdale airport is so much easier to use. Miami much larger and takes 2 or 3 times as long to go from the gate to baggage. Also seems like a third world country, crowded and dirty. I would never use it if I have a choice.

Pam, something is wrong with this picture.

If you request a deviation, then YOU get to pick the flights, not Oceania.

The only possible hiccup would be that there might be an upcharge for the flights that you request, but under no circumstances would you not choose the route.

What IS going on?? :eek:

I wish I knew, Jim. I picked the flights, the only non-stop to and from Cincinnati. Oceania came back with the flight I requested going to Fort Lauderdale, but not the flight I requested coming back, which had a long layover in Detroit and did not leave until mid-afternoon.

And wanted $350 deviation fee for the privilege! With the air credit for not using Oceania Air, I still saved money booking my own flights.

All things being fairly equal, Ft. Lauderdale airport is so much easier to use. Miami much larger and takes 2 or 3 times as long to go from the gate to baggage. Also seems like a third world country, crowded and dirty. I would never use it if I have a choice.

Thanks, RJB. I have TSA pre-check, but when we departed Miami last January, the security people there said they do not have a TSA pre-check line! :confused: