Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

The bottom line is Celebrity is a business. If they alienate their clientele then they will suffer business unless others replace them in a larger scale.

If you as a customer don't like what Celebrity is doing, you have the option to vote with your feet

In another thread, Summit was testing pre-plated buffet items. I understand from posts that they changed that after analysis.

So maybe if they get enough complaints on the loud music, they'll change this as well. But it's up to whether the bottom line increases or decreases. That's business.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Flair Bartending is enterntainment; I'd hope that would not stop or end for the one or two who get annoyed by it.

And I think that is what we are discussion, the differences of opinion of aspects of the Martini Bar and how the cruise line may need to temper overall enjoyment.

While I can't speak with authority about others, I can suggest that in the past there was not a complaint that the Martini Bars on Celebrity, and even on the older ships were dull and boring. They were no complaints.

What changed was the addition of loud music, not flair bartenders, not martinis, not guests.

If anyone desires a good martini, the Martini Bar is the place to go. It's is not subject to age or demographics or muscal preference, its a venue for the enjoyment of Martini. A basic Martini, a creative Martini, a Martini Flight. Those are the things that this venue has been well known for. And without question, the Flair Bartenders bring a level of entertainment which is generally enjoyed.

That an emphasis on loud music has become bigger than the venue itself is where Celebrity has diverted and seems to have left behind the basic platform that suited nearly all of its participating guests. The venues are lovely, the cocktails are wonderful, the energy in the venue is exciting; people are enjoying themselves and are sharing that enjoyment with one another in a pleasing social environment.

There is no need to overwhelm guests or to drown them out.

I agree completely. We have been on many Celebrity cruises and the martini bar has always been very busy even back when conversation was possible.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

So all they need to do is serve the Martini's in Quasar and the problem is solved. They can have all the really loud music there where it's contained the way it was planned to be. Sounds like a great compromise to me.

Sounds like a great compromise and a brilliant idea!!! A time and a place for everything.:)

Celebrity, if you're listening. Please don't mess up the Martini Bar - it's one of the major reasons I would cruise Celebrity again. Keep it loud. Keep it lively. Thanks

Do you also utilize Quasar and find it to your liking with the DJ and the upbeat atmosphere?

I have enjoyed dancing there, but it's not where I go to have a Martini and socialize. It seems Celebrity is bringing DJ's to the Martini Bar because Quasar is so lightly used. Or because they have DJ's on the RCCL ships and someone in authority is confused about what to do with them.

It's not your fault that so many want the Martini Bar to remain a sophisticated, and upscale Martini Bar and not an impersonal [loud music] Club because Celebrity is trying to over reach its appeal to anyone.

The base cruise segment that can be relied upon for repeat revenue is not dead and gone.

Yet.

Edited by MizDemeanor

Yes, we stopped going to the martini bar after the first night. Two couples and we could not have a conversation without yelling. Terrible. The music is way too repetative and gave us all vibrations through out dinner. We never went back to sit there.

I think Celebrity is confused about their core customer base. They don't quite know what direction they want to go. When I started sailing this line it was classy and upscale. Now it has morphed into a "be all to everyone line". On one hand they are trying to attract a more affluent customer base with suite only amenities, and then they act more like Carnival type customers with vulgarity and poor taste in entertainment. I can't wait for the "hairy chest" contest. I am elite with this line and am now trying others. So sad😪

I would have asked to speak to a supervisor since the bartender complied with your request and a wait person took it upon themselves to turn it back up.....sounds like the wait person is more concerned with "their" interests than the guests.....I would have made at least one attempt to speak to management about it before giving in and vacating the area....

Agree, I had a similar problem in the gym on a ship.... early morning, folks enjoyed being on the tread mills watching the sea in peace and quiet, til staff came to work... then they pipped in some god awful music. Complained, it was clear it was more about them then what the passengers wanted. Spoke to the supervisor, the supervisors superior... did the trick.

That is funny I remember some rockin gym music floating into the spa waiting area before a treatment in April on the equinox. Roxanne by the Police as I recall. It also required shouting to the front desk to check in for massage appointments. This was the last week of the former spa management company.

As far the Martini Bar...are we even sure a change has been made? Aren't we still talking about ten to twenty percent Martini Bar experiences being deafening to those in Al Bacio and the library? And other musicians playing in nearby venues being drowned out? Didn't Celebrity Post saying they would take care of overly loud music?

I remember my first eclipse cruise I loved the sweet do beep modern music being piped through the atrium. Have not heard it in a lot of cruises. It almost seems whoever used to oversee the clever musical atmosphere is gone.

I would also like to clarify an earlier statement. I mentioned the drink package being a factor at the Martini Bar. This I believe to be a fact and I have noticed a rather high percentage of guests on these packages. How that effects service is up to each person and their experience. I found my last cruise the only mixed experience with drink service I have ever had on Celebrity. It was our forth drink package cruise, all 14 to 10 days. Some staff were good, some great, some reluctant.

I do not believe anyone has yet to present any facts that celebrity is trying to change the music, it's just that many of us have noticed it about ten to twenty percent of the time. I am thinking rogue employees, untrained ones, a softening of criteria. I also think to assume extra loud makes more money or extra soft makes more money, being mindful that each of us defines this differently, is premature on this thread. Somehow I doubt Celebrity would like to give us their bar income numbers complete with volumn reports so we can debate it.

So all they need to do is serve the Martini's in Quasar and the problem is solved. They can have all the really loud music there where it's contained the way it was planned to be. Sounds like a great compromise to me.

The Martini bar is the only modern W " esque " venue on Celebrity.

Given that there are so many other bars that serve martinis for older folks that don't like modern music, why should they kill the one venue that younger people may like?

Actually Kevin, I think if you read my posts you would see that I really don't object to the Martini Bar the way it usually is. It's only when the music gets to unbearable levels of loudness, like not even being able to hear the person right next to you, that I have a problem. Most of the time it's fine. As most of us have acknowledged, it just seems to be an occasional problem, but when it happens, it's ridiculous. That kind of level belongs in a disco setting where the people come to dance, not to have a drink and visit with friends.

I was just responding to someone who seems to not understand that.

AWESOME! I hope they have loud and modern music on the summit cruise in March. So glad celebrity is doing things to attract the young, professional, and hip crowd!
lol I wouldn't hold your breath, when I was on the Silhouette last May in the Martini bar the music was along the lines of Saturday Night Fever with a DJ playing along with electric bongo type things, very cheesy but a good laugh. Edited by dwhe

Given that there are so many other bars that serve martinis for older folks that don't like modern music, why should they kill the one venue that younger people may like?

The Martini Bar is not aged based. It never has been.

I totally agree with all except that older people like the "w" type experience as well. The location is great, the drinks are great and you put the new modern music with it and it is the only venue that is really modern, it mirrors land based Martini Bars. I believe if the music is turned to a level that some seem to want, it will just turn into another "quiet" place where folks will come and sit for hours sipping one drink and it will drain all the fun/excitement and revenue out of the venue....in other words it will drain the life out of the bar and it will end up just like every other bar on the ships, nothing different, nothing new and exciting. Edited by NLH Arizona

Kevin are you proposing the extra loud volumn that occasionaly happens be the new standard for the martini bar? That volumn that competes with other musicians on board.

Or are you saying how it is most of the time you would like to keep?

But you have to agree, the supervisor is on a slippery slope. If they turn it down, there will be folks that are upset and if they turn it up, there will be folks that are upset.

Sorry but I have never read any complaints on any CC boards that the music is too low. Perhaps I missed something and you can direct me to the thread. It doesn't even have to be Celebrity. Personally unless it's a dance venue the music should just be background music for atmosphere. I don't care what genres they choose as long as you can still hold a conversation.

Sorry but I have never read any complaints on any CC boards that the music is too low. Perhaps I missed something and you can direct me to the thread. It doesn't even have to be Celebrity. Personally unless it's a dance venue the music should just be background music for atmosphere. I don't care what genres they choose as long as you can still hold a conversation.

Oh well soon we won't talk at all we'll just text back and forth while sitting next to each other and then the music can be so deafening it won't matter........:eek::D

Oh well soon we won't talk at all we'll just text back and forth while sitting next to each other and then the music can be so deafening it won't matter........:eek::D

I don't know about you but I've sat at restaurants where a couple or four people come in, sit down and every one of them takes out their phone and is either reading or texting...and it's worldwide...I actually saw this first in Hong Kong a few years ago.

It's not soon...it's already happened.

I don't know about you but I've sat at restaurants where a couple or four people come in, sit down and every one of them takes out their phone and is either reading or texting...and it's worldwide...I actually saw this first in Hong Kong a few years ago.

It's not soon...it's already happened.

yup....I liked a cartoon I saw not long ago where 4 cell phones are piled on top of each other facing down, 4 people at the table.....with the tag line "first one to pick up a phone pays everyone's tab..." great idea!!!!!:D

Funny you say that because Princess is rolling out some complementary service where you can use your phone to text other passengers who you are traveling with you while on the ship.

It seems the true modern Martini Bar experience should be each person with his personal headphones blasting whatever kind of music he likes into his own ears. Since they don't want to hear anything anyway, the rest of us who might actually like to have a conversation could do so.;)

Where did I say that anyone complained on Cruise Critic that the music was too low? You have your opinion that music should be background music for atmosphere and I have mine opinion on how the music should be played, are opinions just differ.

Kevin are you proposing the extra loud volumn that occasionaly happens be the new standard for the martini bar? That volumn that competes with other musicians on board.

Or are you saying how it is most of the time you would like to keep?

The programmed music volume varies. I don't enjoy it loud, and have rarely experienced it too loud. The band on S class ships that play at the end of the bar vary in talent and volume level, but they start relatively late.

I enjoy the atrium band in the evening, the music fills the common areas and makes the ship lively. To be honest, the Martini bar, and the evening atrium band are what I like most about sailing on Celebrity! ( the food, the biggest minus )

The point I was trying to make....

There are 6-7 distinct bar areas, all with a different style and vibe.

The martini bar is the ONLY one that has a big city, boutique high end hotel, evening vibe. Yes, that appeals to a younger demographic.

It would be a mistake if Celebrity homogenized their bar environments so not to offend anyone while at the same time losing differentiation .

People, there are other bars. I don't complain about the schmaltzy music at the larger inside bar, I can't remember the name. Or the jazz at the rendezvous, or the loud horrendous disco music in the Observation lounge etc. I just go drink somewhere else....

Edited by Kevnzworld

Where did I say that anyone complained on Cruise Critic that the music was too low? You have your opinion that music should be background music for atmosphere and I have mine opinion on how the music should be played, are opinions just differ.

Just to keep the record straight, I did in a couple of posts....because the music was at that very annoying level where you could hear every few notes. I'd be fine with background level up to about 85db (I'd like to hear for a few more years). Most complaints here are for noise levels that far exceed 85db.

Just for reference, 85db is the industry standard calibration level for movies around the world.