Quantum to feature tribute bands

Just saw a tweet from another website that the Quantum will feature tribute bands in the music hall.

They had 5 bands listed so far, two playing Bon Jovi, two playing 80's rock classics and the other playing Journey.

Also at Music Hall will be performances by tribute bands that might include The Beatles, the Bee Gees, Journey and Bon Jovi. The space also will host other events include a late-night, adults-only show called Wink, featuring the cast of the Royal Theater.

Now for the bad part

For now, all the entertainment on Quantum is free, but Weir said charges might apply in the future, perhaps for a special midnight show. Competitor Carnival Cruise Lines recently began charging for marquee concerts.

"It's in discussion. All the cruise lines are discussing it," Weir said of fee-based entertainment.

from

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/06/12/quantum-of-the-seas-entertainment-shows/10365449/

It's not new at all. NCL have offered 'Legends in Concert' (tribute acts) shows for a few years on Epic, Breakaway and Getaway.

RCI seem to be turning into NCL!:rolleyes:

It's not really new, just a different take on the traditional tribute bands they've had as main shows. Instead of being in the theater and doing one show per seating, they are doing several shows in the Music Hall with a more casual club vibe. I believe that NCL's tribute show on Epic is actually a group of singers hired as crew onboard the ship. Royal Caribbean is not hiring tribute performers as part of there singers and dancers, they are continuing to hire different on land acts to single sailing contracts to perform. On our 11/23 sailing Glory Dayze will be on from the 23rd to the 27th. I don't know if that means a second group will board on the 27th for the second half, or there will only be the one. This is just like they have always done. It's similar to what they tried with the comedians on the Oasis, take an existing show and move it to a more intimate venue.

Edit: According to the band hired for the transatlantic (Wild Boys) they will have 4 performances during that sailing. That makes sense, Glory Daze could do 1 show per night for 4 nights on the 23rd sailing and another band join on the 27th for 1 show per night for 4 nights as well if they want (I'm doubtful since they have so many other things going on).

Edited by DEIx15x8

It's not new at all. NCL have offered 'Legends in Concert' (tribute acts) shows for a few years on Epic, Breakaway and Getaway.

RCI seem to be turning into NCL!:rolleyes:

Hardly. Rcl has been having tribute bands for years and years. Beetle mania, Abba mania, and others have played on Royal Caribbean ships for a long time before NCL bought the rights to show legends in concert.

Probably will be the same band , with maybe a couple of added musos that pay different themed music on featured nights. I cannot see them actually having 5 different bands for one venue on a standard 7 night cruise. Either way the venue looks like an interesting addition to the entertainment line up, although Royal have always had middle of the road bands that would play this style of music in the Sphinx ( Style ) or Viking Crown Lounges. It just looks like they are now giving the show its own name and presentation. :)

Just saw a tweet from another website that the Quantum will feature tribute bands in the music hall.

They had 5 bands listed so far, two playing Bon Jovi, two playing 80's rock classics and the other playing Journey.

Probably will be the same band , with maybe a couple of added musos that pay different themed music on featured nights. I cannot see them actually having 5 different bands for one venue on a standard 7 night cruise. Either way the venue looks like an interesting addition to the entertainment line up, although Royal have always had middle of the road bands that would play this style of music in the Sphinx ( Style ) or Viking Crown Lounges. It just looks like they are now giving the show its own name and presentation. :)

Sorry, I guess I worded it poorly. I never expected to have 5 bands on one cruise but just listed 5 bands that would alternate between cruises.

Guest maddycat
What happened to the 50's and early 60's music. Doo Wop, Motown, etc.

My guess is that RCI is targeting a younger crowd. It doesn't bother me. I like all music except for hip hop.

What happened to the 50's and early 60's music. Doo Wop, Motown, etc.

RCL has always seemed to target the 30-50 crowd. For them, Do-wop and big band are not nostalgia, 80's music is. I think you'd need to head toward Cunard or Holland America to find 50s music dependably.

RCL has always seemed to target the 30-50 crowd. For them, Do-wop and big band are not nostalgia, 80's music is. I think you'd need to head toward Cunard or Holland America to find 50s music dependably.

Looking at how upscale and Celebrity like the Quantum is I'm sure there also viewing the band choice as a reflection of the line. Having those older groups could lead many to view the class as simply another Solstice. These "younger" bands will help them ensure the market knows the demographic. I'm 25 and never knew any of the bands onboard, but I love Bon Jovi so I'm excited to see the cover band.

I have to say that while most things about Quantum do not excite me, I love this "announcement".

Entertainment like tribute bands is something I really enjoy on cruises (on our recent Celebrity cruise, the piano bar singer did 3 theme shows - Beatles, Billy Joel and Elton John - and they were the highlight of our cruise!).

Finally, something to really look forward to!

Any word regarding whether or not there will be a tribute band on the 3 day sampler cruise on Nov 18?

Edited by DonnaK

Ohhh, that is going to make anyone who considers themselves an 80's child happy. My husband and I were cringing at how out of date the music selection was on our last cruise.

The rock station that I listened to in the 80,s is still around and styill playing all those classics. The only difference is that in the 80,s the commercials were all for beer and liquor, now they are all for ****** and hair loss treatments.:eek:

I have to say that while most things about Quantum do not excite me, I love this "announcement".

Entertainment like tribute bands is something I really enjoy on cruises (on our recent Celebrity cruise, the piano bar singer did 3 theme shows - Beatles, Billy Joel and Elton John - and they were the highlight of our cruise!).

Finally, something to really look forward to!

Any word regarding whether or not there will be a tribute band on the 3 day sampler cruise on Nov 18?

That was Jordan Peterson on the a Summit and he is an amazing performer. Jut got off the Summit last week. Can't wait to see what's in store on Quantum.

Not necessarily so. We were on Breakaway in June and their entertainment was the best we have ever seen on any ship thus far. The key was variety -- Motown, R & B, Blues, Jazz, 70s/80s etc. etc. There may have been some 50s music, but I didn't listen for that. We've been on HAL several times and have experienced what they have to offer. Notice we are now sailing NCL and RCL (for a reason).

As for age, it's nothing but a number. There are some 30-50 year olds one would think are much, much older and there are some 60-70 year olds one would believe to be much, much younger. Just saying...