Can well behaved preteens go to dinner at O'Sheehan's by themselves?

vllygrrl

My son wants to go to dinner one night with his cousin. I can understand they want to feel independent and more adult. I can't, however, find if this is allowed or not. I'd be happy to sit at a table nearby if necessary, but he says that isn't the point, lol.

My son wants to go to dinner one night with his cousin. I can understand they want to feel independent and more adult. I can't, however, find if this is allowed or not. I'd be happy to sit at a table nearby if necessary, but he says that isn't the point, lol.

Yes

Yes, your teens can eat at O'Sheehans without you. My grandson, who was probably 15 at the time ate at O'Sheehans with kids that he had met on the cruise.

They also went to the MDR and ate together. My grandson is a really good kid, so I was confident he would act appropriate.

My granddaughter was about 11 at the time. She met kids onboard, mainly when swimming in the pool. They were really cute, and the girls would set up times to meet for breakfast in the buffet so they could eat together. Just like young women meeting out for a day on the town!!!!!! I sat at a table a bit away from them. They had so much fun together doing that.

Sure they can !! And I am sure they will be just fine !:D

Really depends, some people on this board think it is acceptable for under 18 to drink wine with meals, I do not want to sit with children drinking in a bar area without there parents SissasMomE. Your thoughts please ?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Of course. You do not need to sit at a table nearby lol it's perfectly acceptable for them to eat.

Edited by SissasMomE

Thank you all...well, all but one....for the thoughtful and entertaining responses! My DS is very excited at the prospect of going to a restaurant on his own. Restaurant, not bar!

Just an FYI - if it is the same on GA as BA, the menu has more stuff on the full restaurant side of O'Sheehans vs the section that is more in the middle by the bar.

It will be fine, my daughter was 13 last year, and many an afternoon and some evenings her and her friends, that she met in the kids club went and ate together in O'Sheehans and in Taste. One day she said that there was that many of them the waiters put some tables together so that they had their own space altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

of course it is allowed and what a fun thing for him to do.. I think kids should be given independence when you are certain they can be trusted to behave. By pre teen, I assume you are talking 11 or 12, right? Kids will be kids, we all know, but those who have been taught respect are amazing creatures. I love seeing young people enjoying themselves.

If I had children that were able to be trusted to eat on their own I would allow it. I would make sure they understood about tipping and being polite at the table. :)

Tipping is not required. Politeness is.

My granddaughter and grandson have both done this. They were up earlier than grandma and grandpa. They were hungry and we weren't ready for breakfast. My grandson loved the corned beef hash and eggs and asked if they could go to the "Sheehan" place. I told them yes, but come back to the cabin when they had finished breakfast. At lunch, Nona the server, commented on well behaved our grandchildren were. Always good for a parent or grandparent to hear. They were 9 and 11 at the time.

They will have a good time.

Take care,

Mike

Take care,

Mike

Come to think of it, not only have I seen kids eating together without parents in O'Sheehan's/Blue Lagoon, but also in the MDR and the buffet. That's the great thing about freestyle. Eat when you are hungry, not on a set schedule. And as anyone with pre-teen/teens know, when are they not hungry? :eek:

OP, enjoy your cruise.

My son was 11 on our cruise. One day when he left Splash Academy at lunch time, he informed us that he had lunch plans to go to the buffet with a couple buddies from the club. He looked so proud and excited, so we let him go, and he had no idea that we wandered past a few times in order to spy.