Sugar-high: Allure of the Seas...am I out of touch?

styxfire

I am astounded at all the pay$$ shops selling sugar on Allure:

* "Candy Beach Sweets"

* "Cupcake Cupboard"

* "Ice Cream Parlor"

I have no interest in desserts, and I thought most people were "over that" as well. Obesity, fitness, overall health concerns, valuing what we put in our bodies, etc.etc.... I thought the era of sugars & refined carbs was well-behind us. I don't know anyone who eats in excess anymore.

Is my perception completely out-of-whack? Do people still line up to pay for cupcakes/icecream/candy? All of those things are free in the Windjammer. Why would anybody spend additional $$ for things that are FREE IN WINDJAMMER, & are known to harm them?

I guess I'm puzzled why Royal Caribbean would devote so many shops to selling sugar items that most people no longer consume regularly due to the known health risks. Is Royal able to turn a profit off of the few people who don't know better?

I guess I look at it the same as cigarettes. Imagine if Royal had at least 3 stores selling all sorts of tobacco & cigs. The tide has turned, nobody chooses smoking anymore unless they are already completely hooked. Consumption of sugar items is a dying trend, so I don't understand why Royal devoted so much space to that behavior... especially when they offer the same sugar for free in Windjammer. Who would pay for cupcakes?

Edited by styxfire

Maybe I'm the only one who reads the news, listens to tv, goes online, etc., but I am continually reading about all the obesity issues today.

Obviously most people are not over sugar and refined carbs. You might be, but look around at the rest of the world.

Royal Caribbean is a business and if they can sell something, they will.

The Cupcake shops on the Oasis class ships are extremely popular. I didn't like them, but I've heard from lots of cupcake lovers.

When the rest of the world starts thinking like you, maybe they will close all of these "Sugar Shacks".

It is all about making choices.

Some people won't cruise at all because they perceive cruise ships as being horrible for the environment.

Some people gorge themselves on vacation because.............they are on vacation.

Some people live their lives moderately all the time, at home and on vacation.

Choices

Choices

Choices

Bah, I go to the gym for 20 minutes each day of the cruise so I can eat ice cream at least 3 times a day, and some cookies. ;)

I eat well at home, on a cruise a do moderate work out most days and never take the elevators, but eat what ever I want when I want. I can burn it off when I get home (and do).

As for paying for the candy, ice cream and cupcakes? Not my thing. But kids seem to love the candy store.

I went on Liberty of the Seas a few years back, and never saw ANYONE in the cupcake shop. Day after day, no-one. I remember at the time feeling bad for the people who work there, assuming they have to report to their corporate office that expects to derive revenue from the 4000 Liberty passengers.

Recalling that shop being devoid of customers, and knowing how many folks are into fitness/diet/organic/gluten-free these days, I guess I'm just surprised that sweets shops can stay in business when the same items are free on a different deck.

To each his own, and if the shops generate revenue, more power to them.

But I do secretly pine for the day when all that square footage can be used for something more interesting to me. Like a Moe's or Qdoba :)

There is nothing "wrong" with sugary stuff in moderation!

Moderation apples to all things and activities.

Too much of any good thing is bad for you.

It is only a matter of time before science proves beyond all doubt, that "anything that feels good, smells good, or tastes good" is bad for us.

To answer your question in the OP, I do believe that you are out of touch.

It is all about making choices.

Some people won't cruise at all because they perceive cruise ships as being horrible for the environment.

Some people gorge themselves on vacation because.............they are on vacation.

Some people live their lives moderately all the time, at home and on vacation.

Choices

Choices

Choices

Sums things up quite well.

Actually, they may have reached saturation with sugary stores. The dedicated cupcake store is slowly being removed from ships. The cupcakes are still availale elsewhere, but I suspect the profit is not enough to warrant dedicated space.

Actually, they may have reached saturation with sugary stores. The dedicated cupcake store is slowly being removed from ships. The cupcakes are still availale elsewhere, but I suspect the profit is not enough to warrant dedicated space.

Yeah, but it's not because they are sugary. It's just a passing fad that has passed.

The Quantum is substituting La Patisserie, which will clearly have fat-filled, sugary treats.

hee hee hee

My daughter will be sad! She is super excited about an actual cupcake STORE! Lol.

Well, since on a cruise most people are on vacation, they tend to let go and binge a little. There is absolutely nothing wrong with indulging occasionally.

OP, everyone has a choice and if yours is not to eat there, then don't, but also don't think people are going to go on vacation and only eat salads and drink water.

It's no different than any other vacation that people go on to enjoy themselves. Eating cupcakes and ice cream for a week or two isn't the problem.

Cupcake Fad is so 2010. Surprised Royal hasn't gotten more onboard with Bacon fad. Next guess; they will have a toppings bar near the frozen yogurt machines; you serve yourself and pay based on weight of the cup of candy you dump on top.

Cupcake Fad is so 2010. Surprised Royal hasn't gotten more onboard with Bacon fad. Next guess; they will have a toppings bar near the frozen yogurt machines; you serve yourself and pay based on weight of the cup of candy you dump on top.

I swear there is one on every corner within a 5 mile radius of our home!!

Yes - I think these items will still be consumed by people no matter what......agree that the key is moderation and that indeed while on vacation, people tend to eat a bit differently! At least let them have their choice if they want it!! :rolleyes:

My daughter will be sad :( if the cupcake cupboard goes away as she liked to do the decorating class! Then he cupcake would last a few days - she would eat a bit and wrap it back up to save for later!

Don't forget kids (of all ages) may want to indulge in a favorite candy too! The sweet shop is there to satisfy that! Just limit how much you or your kids get! :p

I try not to eat sugar, work out and try to eat pretty healthy but unless there is a medical reason, see nothing wrong in a little bit of anything! Most of the time "a sliver of a slice" will satisfy you anyway! ;)

My daughter just had her 16th birthday and her request was white cupcakes with maple buttercream topped with candied bacon. There... I hit the cupcake AND the bacon fad in one fell swoop!!!

10703526_10204773678532884_126895463787814112_n.jpg?oh=04dd50160ccab9cc2a52b7b81965899d&oe=5487DB15&__gda__=1418438562_76806b66ac255021c6f15e5feb408231

Edited by Maybaybie10

My daughter just had her 16th birthday and her request was white cupcakes with maple buttercream topped with candied bacon. There... I hit the cupcake AND the bacon fad in one fell swoop!!!

10703526_10204773678532884_126895463787814112_n.jpg?oh=04dd50160ccab9cc2a52b7b81965899d&oe=5487DB15&__gda__=1418438562_76806b66ac255021c6f15e5feb408231

Ha! That is awesome. I do not eat sweet. Not because I'm healthy or whatever. I just don't. Did you try them? Was that a good combination?

Completely out of touch if you think Qdoba or Moes are good replacements for anything. Yuck

As for the rest of your diatribe - Did you actually sit around all day watching to see what was happening in those venues?

That cupcake is just plain gross - from my perspective. LOL I like certain deserts and sweets (can we have pralines on board?) and I love bacon, but never the two shall meet.

Edited by temple1

Ha! That is awesome. I do not eat sweet. Not because I'm healthy or whatever. I just don't. Did you try them? Was that a good combination?

They were pretty amazing I have to say! The maple buttercream and bacon reminded me of french toast...when the maple syrup and melted butter run into the bacon on your plate. Yeah...it was pretty yummy! :)

Several people at the party were very skeptical....but I made believers out of them! Sweet and salty...you can't go wrong!

Edited by Maybaybie10