are dedicated vacation planners new to RC?

Vitality08

I always heard/thought that RC didn't assign vacation planners and people just called and booked with whoever answered the toll free number.

I got an email today from someone saying they were my Certified Vacation Planner and gave me his direct extension.

Is this new with RC or was I just misinformed in the past?

I have always used the same vacation planner with RCI. And last week when I had enquired about a Celebrity cruise , I got a call the next morning from a cruise planner at Celebrity saying she would be my Vacation Planner if I needed anything. gave me direct phone number and email address. Just like the RCI one I use, she has been excellent. She even offered to monitor my cruise for a specific cabin I wanted in case one came open before the cruise.

have always future booked onboard or by calling C&A.....however last month i did a mock reservation online and put a 24hour hold on a cruise.....next day before the 24hour hold expired a Florida based RCL employed vacation cruise planner contacted me via phone to follow up.....after asking many questions and deciding on our originally held suite we did book & pay thru him.....a very quick and easy process we found it to be..:)

i did inquire about this cruise vacation planner service being a new option to us.....to which he responded that they follow-up on many 24hr held cruises in hopes of getting confirmed paid bookings instead of them expiring.......so yes basically they are RCL travel agents who are awarded for upselling 24hour held cabins and booking of excursions & specialty restaurants....:)

we sail next week and all cruise documents are correct and in hand so thus far we are happy with our assigned vacation cruise planner....:D

I always heard/thought that RC didn't assign vacation planners and people just called and booked with whoever answered the toll free number.

I got an email today from someone saying they were my Certified Vacation Planner and gave me his direct extension.

I have been sailing with RCI and booking my own cruises for many years...I too just received two e-mails from a certain vacation planner...I'll stick to getting whoever it is at the time answering the D+ reservation #.

I am wondering how RCI sets up there reservation's office....

Are there separate departments for 'regular' and 'dedicated' res agents?

Are res agents rewarded via commission's or some other bonus for making sales, like travel agents are? Or just straight salary?

If res agents, or dedicated vacation planner's, are given some kind of credit, then it is only polite to call them back specifically to make a purchase, if they have served you initially, just as you would when buying anything.

That said, are you limited on future modifications to your booking to only going thru your dedicated planner, much as you are when booking thru an outside travel agent?

That is one thing I dislike about booking thru a travel agent....if I find a better accommodation on the website, say on the weekend, or other time when my travel agent is unavailable, I cannot modify the booking directly thru the line...they will only deal with my TA.

Edited by bob brown

Are res agents rewarded via commission's or some other bonus for making sales, like travel agents are? Or just straight salary?

If res agents, or dedicated vacation planner's, are given some kind of credit, then it is only polite to call them back specifically to make a purchase, if they have served you initially, just as you would when buying anything.

That said, are you limited on future modifications to your booking to only going thru your dedicated planner, much as you are when booking thru an outside travel agent?

That is one thing I dislike about booking thru a travel agent....if I find a better accommodation on the website, say on the weekend, or other time when my travel agent is unavailable, I cannot modify the booking directly thru the line...they will only deal with my TA.

Same as a Carnival PVP (personal vacation planner) Many swear by them as they can authorise you price drops and cheap upgrades and they earn commission so just an in house TA. If you use the same PVP or DVP then its like talking to an "Interested" person when you call with an enquiry instead of a call centre person just going through the generic info.

What if you call them and they are not there? Usually when I call I want to book or my booking serviced now!;)

I've used a CVP for years. When our first planner left the company, they assigned me another. Been with her since. But, if she is not working the day I call, she leaves a message on her voicemail, to call one of her associates, along with their extension. But, her name is always on the paperwork. If she is busy and can't answer the phone, I just email her and she fulfills my request or will call me back. The other day, I wanted to ask a question about a cruise I was wanting to book, but my CVP was very busy with the WOW sale and left a message on her voicemail to call another planner, if it couldn't wait till another day. I decided to call C&A, D+ extension, and asked them my question, and ended up booking our cruise through them. But, noticed that our regular planner's name is not on our reservation.

So really, you can use any vacation planner you want. No problem.

Gwen :)

What if you call them and they are not there? Usually when I call I want to book or my booking serviced now!;)

I've used a CVP for years. When our first planner left the company, they assigned me another. Been with her since. But, if she is not working the day I call, she leaves a message on her voicemail, to call one of her associates, along with their extension. But, her name is always on the paperwork. If she is busy and can't answer the phone, I just email her and she fulfills my request or will call me back. The other day, I wanted to ask a question about a cruise I was wanting to book, but my CVP was very busy with the WOW sale and left a message on her voicemail to call another planner, if it couldn't wait till another day. I decided to call C&A, D+ extension, and asked them my question, and ended up booking our cruise through them. But, noticed that our regular planner's name is not on our reservation.

So really, you can use any vacation planner you want. No problem.

Gwen :)

That's what happened to me twice. I ended throwing my PVP card & letter away.

We've had a CVP since 2009. Back then, I booked a cruise via an airlines on line cruise thing- and he called and asked if we needed any help, info, etc. Since he was so nice, we've booked most of our cruises since then through him.

Never tries to up sell us.

Is ok that we use any other desk/person for immediate help if we need to.

Always (and I mean always) helps us get the best of the best rates.

helps us cancel trips, or re-book future cruise credits, never an issue to make a change.

really helpful in helping us change cabins (which we do a lot, as we try to get the ideal one for our trip).

And is a good person just to BS with.

If he gets a comissions based on our travels, I'm 100% fine with that.

I'm very thankful that we have a go to person, and take that flexibility over whatever a TA can give us.

We had one with Carnival. She would call us all the time. Ingrid was her name, I still remember it. Anyway we would tell her we have one booked but on Royal and she'd tell us she would call back later and see if she could get us to go back to Carnival. Seemed quite nice. Eventually we did call back and book a cruise with her. After that, good luck getting in touch with her for anything. Really turned me off. Long story short, I like it the way it is. Call in and get the first person to answer the phone.