Which cruise to do for first timers?

ApoJacks

Gonna disagree, 6-7 hours more flight time going to Hawaii vs the Caribbean, and at least 4 times more expensive in Hawaii ! Our opinion, just not worth it! But each their own!

OP is from San Diego. Hawaii is less flight time for them and lower airfares than to the Caribbean are possible. With the right itinerary and TA, cruise price could be comparable. As for destination experiences (in terms of culture, weather, geography, demographics, etc.): IMO, Hawaii is far more interesting and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is the criterion we used to pick our first cruise... which is in just a little over a week.

1. What port is closest to us, easiest to get to from our home? We can fly direct to Galveston and arrive early in am, making no need for overnighting in town before cruise. Ditto on way home, direct flight. Least amount of hassle.

2. Ports... where have we not been that we are dying to visit for some reason in particular? We have been to Roatan and Cozumel several times on land-based trips, but we have never been to Belize. We both love love love Mayan ruins and history, so we picked the itinerary that would give us Belize this time.

3. After that, it was just matching up dates.

For this FIRST trip, I think it is important to make it EASY and less stressful. That is why #1 was our #1 need.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did Celebrity Summit out of San Juan for our first cruise. Guess what our second cruise was? You guessed it, Celebrity Summit out of San Juan!! (Opposite itinerary). Many ports to see, enough time on the ship to keep us busy, great snorkeling, and many different VARIED excursions on the different Islands. My vote is the Carnival Cruise. As a matter of fact we may do the Valor out of San Juan in March. (This time, WITH Kids). San Juan itself is a beautiful destination.

Before you discount balcony rooms altogether, check out the balconies thread under choosing cabins. You might think you are only going to spend a small amount of time in your cabin, but for romance with you spouse or spouse to be, a balcony offers all sorts of opportunities. Just think how she will fel about a nice room service breakfast on the balcony. Or maybe a nice bottle of wine as the two of you watch the sun go down. Surprise her.

Here is the criterion we used to pick our first cruise... which is in just a little over a week.

1. What port is closest to us, easiest to get to from our home? We can fly direct to Galveston and arrive early in am, making no need for overnighting in town before cruise. Ditto on way home, direct flight. Least amount of hassle.

2. Ports... where have we not been that we are dying to visit for some reason in particular? We have been to Roatan and Cozumel several times on land-based trips, but we have never been to Belize. We both love love love Mayan ruins and history, so we picked the itinerary that would give us Belize this time.

3. After that, it was just matching up dates.

For this FIRST trip, I think it is important to make it EASY and less stressful. That is why #1 was our #1 need.

THIS is exactly how we planned our first cruise. We sailed out of Baltimore because we could drive to port (in late September, and we were in shorts the entire trip for those who think Baltimore is located north of the Arctic Circle :) ). We picked Bermuda because it was the most appealing port (and it was beautiful). After that, it was just a matter of picking the dates.

If you are looking for a cruise in August, I would not discount Bermuda as a destination. Of course, it means sailing out of Boston, New York, New Jersey, or Baltimore.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app