What was the Worst Royal Caribbean cruise?

collinH45

The only bad cruise I've been on was the Jewell in 2006. It was a 25th anniversary cruise with my now deceased wife. The food was awful, and for the 1st time in 8 cruises, we actually walked out of 2 shows. I'm a senior, and the music in the 1st show was old when I was born, and the 2nd show had a comedian who's only laughter was his own. I discount that cruise as an annomaly.

The very first time I ever cruised on Royal. It was a 5 day cruise on the Sovereign of the Seas, out of Miami in 1996. I still to this day call it the cruise from hell. If it could go wrong, it did go wrong:

Cruise canceled by Royal by mistake, then assigned a different cabin far, far away from the elevators, with a husband who had trouble walking.

Constantly locked out of our cabin for almost two days.

Room never made up, no towels no nothing!

Lost luggage

Cabin next to anchor

Cabin right under constant jogging on promenade deck

Cruise itinerary completely changed

delayed getting on by almost three hours

Husband got food poising, just when toilets down for almost an entire day.

No table assignment in dinning room

wake up call every morning at 5:15AM and we never ordered a wake up call

Horrible food delivered only to me in main dinning room, it became a joke to all our table mates when we were finally assigned a table.

Hotel Manager told us that all these things can and do happen on a ship holding over two thousand passengers, however he had never heard of them all happening to the same two passengers. He gave us 75% off our next cruise.

We went home and booked the Royal Suite on the brand new Enchantment of the Seas and have been cruising on Royal Caribbean ever since.

This is a thread that you write down what was your worst cruise. My worst cruise was the Vision. It disappointed my parents because the entertainment was the worst. They went on September 25-29, 2014. I heard the news from my parents today and they wanted to rate it 2 stars.
Have never had a "worst" cruise.

• 2 months later...

There was one part on the Grandeur August 2013 that I didn't like. The issue was that my sister got sick after the cruise. She was nine at the time. She is now 11 years old. She had a fever approximately 102°. She said that she accidentally swallowed saltwater or ate beef that wasn't good. The rest of the cruise was perfect.

Nordic Prince to Bermuda and back! Inside cabin and we were in good North Atlantic seas and it was horrible trip. Climbing up and down the ladder to its VCL/crows nest. Not so easy in not such great weather in fact I think they closed it just before late seating.

Bermuda was great as always, the ship not so much.

No bad cruises yet on RCI or Princess. We have sailed through the edge of a hurricane two times, a rouge wave and missed multiple ports on different sailings due to weather. We have also had ports changed in order, but that's all part of cruising in our eyes.

Edited by A&L_Ont

First let me preface this by saying that I've had NO bad cruises. However, the least awesome of my RC cruises would be Voyager out of Galveston.

Why?

We experienced horrendous fog delays on BOTH ends of the cruise. The ship didn't finally pull away from Galveston until about 9:30 the morning AFTER our scheduled departure. Fortunately, we had a sea day up front and were able to cruise FAST and make up most of the lost time before hitting our first port. But it was still frustrating. On the return trip, we'd scheduled a late debarkation time, because we had an afternoon flight. But the fog delay threatened to make us miss our plane.

Also, the crowd out of Galveston (at least on that cruising) was - for the most part - much more sedate that I've experienced on other cruises. Not much participation in the 70s party event. Very little going on in the night club. It was a bit disappointing.

We still had a GREAT cruise and met some really nice people. But it ranks lowest among my RC cruise experiences.

Our worst cruise was still a good cruise, on Independence. The biggest problem was the parents who were trying to make sure they got their money's worth on the drink package while ignoring their little darlings who were running amok all over the ship.

It didn't completely spoil the cruise, but it was very chaotic, and we felt sorry for the crew who were left to deal with the issue. I'm sure some of them didn't see their kids for the duration of the trip.

Only one "bad" cruise- this past September on Celebrity Summit. Horribly filthy ship, mold in our shower ignored by housekeeping. I walked 2 miles to grocery store in Halifax to buy bleach and cleaned our shower so we could use it. The captain, hotel manager and cruise director all had major ego issues and were quite rude to older passengers. Docking in Quebec was 2 miles from main terminal, it was in the cargo port and taxi was $10-12/pp to go into Quebec City. Most taxis didn't even know how to find the ship on return from town! We have sailed Royal Caribbean many times and never had a bad cruise. We also sailed Celebrity Eclipse and could not have enjoyed ourselves more, but never again on any other ships by Celebrity!

Only one "bad" cruise- this past September on Celebrity Summit. Horribly filthy ship, mold in our shower ignored by housekeeping. I walked 2 miles to grocery store in Halifax to buy bleach and cleaned our shower so we could use it. The captain, hotel manager and cruise director all had major ego issues and were quite rude to older passengers. Docking in Quebec was 2 miles from main terminal, it was in the cargo port and taxi was $10-12/pp to go into Quebec City. Most taxis didn't even know how to find the ship on return from town! We have sailed Royal Caribbean many times and never had a bad cruise. We also sailed Celebrity Eclipse and could not have enjoyed ourselves more, but never again on any other ships by Celebrity!

This was supposed to be about RCI cruises. Just sailed Summit on 11/29 and our cruise was excellent - one of our best in years. Just felt I needed to add that different opinion.

As to the original question, never had a totally bad cruise, but one has to be 'worst'. Ours was on Radiance, back when she was having plumbing problems. At times the water coming from our bathroom faucet was literally brown (not beige, not tan - brown!). The toilet flushed 2/3 of the time and was sometimes unusable for several hours. Sewer smell was prevalent in the bathroom most of the time. Our traveling partners had their toilet back up into their room and all over their floor. Ugh!! The worst part was the complete lack of caring by the staff. They were probably so sick of hearing complaints (there were a lot of plumbing issues before they finally fixed the problem) that every complaint was just one more pain in the neck. To add to the misery, we had booked a larger balcony but could rarely enjoy it as we had chain smokers next to us who were 'cabin rats' and always seemed to be out there. We made the best of it, and there were many enjoyable parts, but it was honestly a long time before we were willing to try RCI again.

We've had two RCCL less than stellar cruises, neither of which was Royal's fault.

The worst was on the Rhapsody's very first cruise out of Galveston in 2001. The first night i had a scratchy throat and the next day i had a raging cold that lasted 5 days. On top of that, it was rather rainy and stormy all week.

The second worst on on the Grandeur out of New Orleans in 2003. We originally booked with some close friends who in turn invited some other people who were mutual acquaintances. Our friends later had a massive falling out with the other couple and cancelled but the other people came anyway. We were supposed to all be at the same dinner table and we didn't want to be with just them but also didn't want to rudely ditch them, so we asked the Matr d to put us all at a large table. The other couple found out and switched us back to a table for just us because "we don't want to be with strangers". What an awkward week with little to talk about. The rest of the cruise was fine, but dinner company wasn't the greatest.

Our worst cruise ever was on the NCL Norwegian Crown to Bermuda. One of our friends lost his very expensive commitment ring on the island and then on the way back we hit a major storm with 30 foot waves. It was cold and all the passengers were irritable. The food wasn't the greatest either, but the other issues really weren't NCL's fault.

Dave

Edited by Tenderpaw

I have always said that you really have to work hard to have a bad time on a ship....however....the maiden of quantum came VERY close...

I definitely don't have to go into detail but most of the issues were based on disappointments. We all anticipated issues such as slower service etc but the problems seemed to be endless that have been over hashed out now. The ship WILL BE AMAZING when everything gets fixed but the ship had no business having passengers on board when it was handed over.

I still loved the IFly though!

I've never had a bad cruise. (I came home with Influenza A last September from Alaska, but gee had a great time anyway). Like so many others, I am happiest on a ship, anytime, going anywhere. We are really easy going people.

Myra

(Embarkation in 5 days, last minute hop to Cozumel for our 35th Anniversary)

I can't say I had a "worst" cruise, but my most disappointing one was the last on 12-8-14 on the Majesty. It was cold and windy enough to where you couldn't really enjoy the pool areas, and the limitations of an older ship really showed up. Not as much to do inside as on the larger class ships, so it was least favorite of all.

Navigator of the Seas in the Med- because of the smoky atmosphere every where you went. They allowed smoking in 11 of the 13 bars so it was bad! :mad:

We went to a lounge to watch Karaoke and the right half of the lounge was smoking, the left side 'smoke free'....!

Even the Promenade smelled of smoke from the PUb...