Vanilla

cjnix29

I've read on CC about the fantastic vanilla people buy. Is this in Cozumel? where is the best place to get it? And how do people transport it home? My mom is house sitting, and this would be a great gift for her when we return!

They have it everywhere -- but some of it is the cheaper variety that has Coumadin in it.

Be sure to look for the slightly more expensive variety without Coumadin -- we always get ours at Los Cinco Soles, which is at the end of the main street in town, Ave. Rafael Melgar.

Because the Mexican vanilla is stronger in flavor and far less expensive than the little bottles at the US stores. I love it for baking and the bottle lasts me for quite some time. It is just better in my personal opinion, but I only buy it for myself and don't tote several bottles back.

To the OP I always buy mine in Cozumel. The further away from the port area the least expensive it will be most likely.

My friend bought many bottles for friends back home, but she said never again. Why tote that weight back to the ship, off the ship and then home. Just buy the pure vanilla at a store or health food store locally.

I am a baker and it is "THE BEST" vanilla I have ever used. Also the cheapest. I buy quarts of it for myself and much smaller bottles as souvenirs. Los Cinco Soles is what I buy. There is a Los Cinco Soles store right at the port in Cozumel so wait til you are returning to the ship to purchase it so you don't have to carry it around. They have lots of other souvenirs there too. DO NOT go home without some.

Edited by Boozebabe

My friend bought many bottles for friends back home, but she said never again. Why tote that weight back to the ship, off the ship and then home. Just buy the pure vanilla at a store or health food store locally.

^^ agree 100%. I am convinced that this board has a big part in perpetuating this silly myth of "you got to buy vanilla in Mexico."

^^ agree 100%. I am convinced that this board has a big part in perpetuating this silly myth of "you got to buy vanilla in Mexico."

I guess the only answer is to buy some vanilla in Mexico and some at the local health store and compare. Taste for yourself and decide. I personally like the Mexican vanilla - I buy at Los Cinco Soles too - and enjoy the money I save. When you do a lot of baking it adds up.

I've read on CC about the fantastic vanilla people buy. Is this in Cozumel? where is the best place to get it? And how do people transport it home? My mom is house sitting, and this would be a great gift for her when we return!

We bought ours at one of the stores at the port. They wrapped it in a expandable plastic sleeve to protect it. When we boarded the ship, the security guard told me I had to check in my "liquor". I told him it was vanilla and he waved me through.

As for a silly myth, it's not a myth. It's better and it's a lot less expensive. You can buy a quart there for less than what you pay for three ounces here in the states. I have heard that you should look for a rooster on the label. That's the safest brand.

I have always purchased it in Cozumel, right at the duty free shop at port.

Last year in 2013 it was 4 bottles for $10 US

This July it was 3 bottles for $10.

It was in a three pak and each bottle had a brown print with a red rubber band over the sealed safety lid.

I would not buy the vanilla from an outdoor vendor, even when those bottles have expiration date on them, they have been out in the hot sun for who knows how long.

I can definetely tell the difference in taste....I use it for my Nut Kolachi.

Usually go thru a half bottle at the holidays, and give one as a gift and keep the other ............goes in chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Sea Ya

• 2 weeks later...
Even if you bake, you only need 1-2 teaspoon for a cake, so really, are you going through liters of this stuff?

Take a minute and read this so at least you are making a more educated decision.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm048613.htm

While it is true there are those selling vanilla that is actually Coumarin, you can also find pure Mexican vanilla.

There have been incidents of vanilla bottles being adulterated with impure liquids. There is really no quality control. You will probably be OK if you buy from a main store, but I personally would rather not take the chance. Certain alcohol additives, if you get the wrong bottle, could lead to severe medical problems.

While it is true there are those selling vanilla that is actually Coumarin, you can also find pure Mexican vanilla.

We get articles showing many occasions where bottles bought in tourist areas, regardless of all the labeling, have been re-filled with the dangerous Tonka Bean extract (smells just like vanilla), just as there are counterfeit perfumes, watches, etc.

They know you will only be there for one day, and if you get sick, you probably won't know the reason. The big myth about Mexican vanilla being better is simply that - a myth. Is it really worth risking your health when so many raids have found counterfeit labels on this stuff?

My family used to buy Mexican vanilla a lot, especially when we lived in Arizona and would take trips to border towns. We always bought the Molina brand, and it was supposedly so special, family members always bought it when they visited.

In the past many years, though, I've been buying Kirkland brand vanilla from Costco and it's so much better, in my opinion. It's madagascar bourbon vanilla, and the price is right.

But... if you're looking for a gift to take home for someone while you're visiting Mexico, the Mexican vanilla could be a good option. Try the Molina brand with the red, white, and green label!

This is just a side note to Mexican Vanilla. Yes, you may have 100% vanilla in the bottle, but in Mexico, they extract the vanilla oil from the beans using a process that uses Formaldehyde.

To my knowledge, it's only Mexico that uses that process.

Sorry.

AC