Celebrity is going downhill

Jeannine1026

So if I am remembering right the OP wanted to upgrade their cabin after final payment, and add additional perks? If this was allowed, then why would everyone not try to do this after the prices dropped?? (which does not always happen after final payment, but often does). An unrealistic expectation IMHO.

Wallie and wpgcycler, thank you for making my day. I laughed at your posts till the tears ran down my cheeks. Very clever.

We upgraded once (paid more) after final pmt and we lost our perks. I have never heard of upgrading after final to gain perks not previously included.

On a serious note,

Inside cabins have not been eligible for the perks that I remember. So there has to be more to the story if the OP was willing to pay the difference to change cabins. Even tho it was after final.

On my cruise sailing in less than two weeks the rock bottom prices that they are now offering do not include the beverage package because they are Tuesday Specials, and Senior Rates.

the OP wants an OV, which is probably going for maybe 100 more than they paid for the inside cabin....and they want the beverage package which is worth over 300 per person on a seven night cruise.

Did they tell you that you could not upgrade your cabin at all or just that the perk was not available?

If you couldn't change at all then I'd be surprised. As far a I've always understood things you can always upgrade your cabin by paying the current going rate less what you've already paid on your cabin. But whether you get to keep or obtain promotional perks depends on what the current offer is and not what offers had been in the past.

This is my question, what was the reason given for not upgrading? Because sometimes they are reasonable within known rules and sometimes they are doozeys. We checked in our cruise behind a couple who asked their TA for a suite on Equinox. The TA called them back excited to say she got an amazing deal on an AQ and for some reason thought it was suite. I wondered if their TA got it confused wih the reflection. The guests were in their late eighties and were furious their TA's kept them from spending their savings. Lol I have also heard of TA's just saying no you can't upgrade, assuming no one wants to give up packages. I do not know when all this took place either, what promo was in place.

Although it probably should never be done, since the rule changes, I was on a roll call that a few passengers called celebrity and did get some Obc after a very big decrease after final in 2012.

Could it be that the OP wanted to upgrade so they could take advantage of the Perk Your Perk Promotion and aren't these promotions usually for new bookings?

The answer should be, yes, but no on your package. That would be the most usual answer.

It has nothing to do with having the best of both worlds. As a matter of fact what i paid for my inside cabin was a steal i just wanted to go to oceanview and get one of the perks. I am not a drinker so i dont care about the bev package i just wanted to go outside for $150 more PP

It has nothing to do with having the best of both worlds. As a matter of fact what i paid for my inside cabin was a steal i just wanted to go to oceanview and get one of the perks. I am not a drinker so i dont care about the bev package i just wanted to go outside for $150 more PP

Ok, I think we've covered the Perks part... AFTER Final Payment you cannot take advantage of a Sale or Perk.

But now I am curious about the $ 150 that you speak of

Is that $ 150 more than you paid per person for your Inside Cabin (ie You Paid $ 1000 for the Inside and the OV is now listed at $ 1150)

OR

Is it now that prices have changed and there is a spread of $ 150 between the Inside Cabin Category you have now and the Oceanview you want ??? (ie You paid $ 800 at the time of booking, but now your cabin is listed at $ 1000, and the OV at $ 1150 ?)

Cause that scenario would make a difference too

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Just for clarity: Irrespective of when you try to upgrade, any upgrade is based on the difference between the price you paid and the cabin you want. It is NOT based on the difference between the current cabin price and the new cabin price.

OK, there must be OV's still open, so You need to call back and ask again. Based on the title of your topic, one would think you are a previous cruiser, hence a member of the Capt Club, right? Call the loyality desk. But bear in mind you may have a cancellation penality to pay for doing so based on the number of days till sailing, the formula is on every booking sheet.

If it was a steal, the spread will be as mentioned above, alot more than the $150.

It is worth a try.

Edited by wallie5446

The answer should be, yes, but no on your package. That would be the most usual answer.
But possibly the OP didn't want the upgrade without the Pick Your Perk Promotion, especially since the OP keeps saying "i just wanted to go to oceanview and get one of the perks". Maybe if the OP would call Celebrity back and see if she can get the upgrade, without the perk, she might be successful. Edited by NLH Arizona

Just for clarity: Irrespective of when you try to upgrade, any upgrade is based on the difference between the price you paid and the cabin you want. It is NOT based on the difference between the current cabin price and the new cabin price.

Good point. I was bummed years ago when I found that one out. I thought because they could sell your existing cabin for the new price then I could pay the difference for my upgraded cabin. NOT.

Vancouver cruiser I also have caught myself a couple of times thinking my rate increase is one way when it wasn't. GHstudio, good call bringing it up.

All I know is celebrity has my number. Upgrade choices are not so clear cut as of a couple of years ago.

Edited by hulamoon

It is a Holiday cruise,Inside i paid $629 gpt a OBC from future cruise got another OBC for Loyality and got a hundred for holiday sailing. I just wanted to go oceanview the price is $799 then its reads PYP but when you call Celebrity they tell you that you cant have it

It is a Holiday cruise,Inside i paid $629 gpt a OBC from future cruise got another OBC for Loyality and got a hundred for holiday sailing. I just wanted to go oceanview the price is $799 then its reads PYP but when you call Celebrity they tell you that you cant have it
Does the fine print on the PYP say for new bookings?

Just went and looked at the offer after I posted and here is what it says: Offer is applicable to new individual bookings and to staterooms in non-contracted affinity and promotional groups bookings, which must be named and deposited during the Offer Period. If you want the oceanview cabin, I would call again, but you would not be able to get the PYP, because you already had the booking and the change would not be considered a new booking, at least that is how I read the rules.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Does the fine print on the PYP say for new bookings?

Just went and looked at the offer after I posted and here is what it says: Offer is applicable to new individual bookings and to staterooms in non-contracted affinity and promotional groups bookings, which must be named and deposited during the Offer Period. If you want the oceanview cabin, I would call again, but you would not be able to get the PYP, because you already had the booking and the change would not be considered a new booking, at least that is how I read the rules.

They would clearly be creating a new booking to gain the PYP promotion. In doing that they would lose the OCB from Future cruise booking since they are no longer booking while onboard. They would lose the other OBCS since they don't apply to the new offer. This happens all the time. Frustrating, but that's the way it's been done for a very long time. Celebrity wouldn't be in business very long if they gave all that OBC and a PYP for a cabin priced at $799 pp.

They would clearly be creating a new booking to gain the PYP promotion. In doing that they would lose the OCB from Future cruise booking since they are no longer booking while onboard. They would lose the other OBCS since they don't apply to the new offer. This happens all the time. Frustrating, but that's the way it's been done for a very long time. Celebrity wouldn't be in business very long if they gave all that OBC and a PYP for a cabin priced at $799 pp.
Hey, I remember when you could call up every time there was a price drop up to cruise date and get the difference refunded to your credit card. I think on one cruise, I got over a thousand dollars back before the cruise sailed, but I certainly understand why Celebrity changed it to the policy they have today, but it was fun while it lasted.

Hey, I remember when you could call up every time there was a price drop up to cruise date and get the difference refunded to your credit card. I think on one cruise, I got over a thousand dollars back before the cruise sailed, but I certainly understand why Celebrity changed it to the policy they have today, but it was fun while it lasted.

It sure was fun to get all the benefits including combining stock holder credit. Heck, as a passenger I'd like to pay $500 and get $1000 in OBC, but that wouldn't be a good business strategy for Celebrity. The profit margin targets have changed and now the stock holders are having fun. Not in the last few days however.

Edited by Orator

Ya but that was when the economy was a hot mess.

At the time...

Celebrity figured out it was better to sail with 2000 pax who paid $ 500 vs half full with just 1000 who paid $ 1000

As they still had to pay their static costs (Fuel, Crew, Suppliers etc)

Besides they were counting on some of the extra 1000 folks being NEW Cruisers and getting them hooked into being repeat Customers

And guess what

It worked :D

--- --- ---

Economy is a lot different now. My first Caribbean Cruise on The Solstice in January 2012 in Concierge cost $ 1000 each. Today same dates on another S-Class Ship $ 1500+ (and rising).

RCCL stock January 2012 around $ 25... Today close to $ 70.

Ya I should have bought stock too !! :(

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Before the economy downturn Celebrity had a policy of refunding passengers whose fair went down after final payment. Then I think it was only obc and as late as 2012 some did get Obc at least partially back sometimes, sporadically, without rules that were consistent. It was a good will gesture.

:)