Whispering Jack

whispering jack

Beware of cabin 7133 on Oceania ship the MARINA.. we were supposedly upgraded to a class 2 penthouse suite from class 3 and although it was a very expensive cruise by our standards ,we were blown away . Our first impressions of our suite were WOW!!! but this was short lived ,as on the second morning we were woken by what we can only describe as a mini earthquake with the whole cabin vibrating knocking and banging ,it was unbelievable .. this experience continued every time we either entered or left a port ,, My partner made many complaints to concierges and senior ships officers and was constantly brushed off by the saying these noises were expected on smaller ships HOGWASH!!!!! we have travelled on the Minerva which is only one third the size and never encountered any thing like on the MARINA..We showed some friends who were on the same deck but towards the front of the ship A VIDEO WE TOOK and they couldn't believe the noise ,saying it was like being in a coffee perculator.. Oceania have taken no responsibility and offered us a pittance off a future cruise ... When you pay £4600 for a 12 day cruise ,you expect the best ..SO BEWARE IF BEING ALLOTED PENTHOUSE SUITE 7133 ,AS IT IS HELL ON EARTH REGARDS WHISPERING JACK

I was in 7130 - the opposite side on the Riviera in August and never felt a thing.

The only time I noticed a shuddering noise on a frequent basis was on our first cruise with Oceania Riviera in Cabin 10031 nearer the front of the ship. That's why I always look for the cabins closer to the Aft.

I was in 7130 - the opposite side on the Riviera in August and never felt a thing.

The only time I noticed a shuddering noise on a frequent basis was on our first cruise with Oceania Riviera in Cabin 10031 nearer the front of the ship. That's why I always look for the cabins closer to the Aft.

If I could show you the 8 minute video I took [one of 5] I am sure you would be horrified .. we are very seasoned cruisers ,over 20 ,and we are not exaggerating

The vibration is felt all over the ship especially in the aft section

not unique to this cabin

honestly vibration is not the explanation ,,I wish you could see the video ,the TV on the wall actually finished up moving at least about a foot thanks for your reply

We sailed in the 10th deck Owner's Suite on the Marina in Nov 2012, and I can say without exagerration that anytime we docked the vibrations were terrible. It was so bad that once the vibrations woke us (dockings are generally an early morning affair) we would immediately jump out of bed and run to the bar to make sure we hadn't left any glasses or bottles on the countertop the night before, otherwise they would vibrate completely off the bar.

We had several conversations with ship's officers who told us that this was due to the ship's side thrusters and there was nothing to be done. It was just the way they were designed :confused:

Most of us love the extended balcony penthouses so much we'd covet them if even they turned upside down. Having said that, we've sailed in 7128 and never felt a thing. However, it's likely we didn't enter or leave any ports where the thrusters were required. Thrusters are at the front and back, and they are ALWAYS noisy and vibrate -- for a very short time in relation to the entire time the ship is operating.

Does the Minerva have thrusters?

Edited by hondorner

Most of us love the extended balcony penthouses so much we'd covet them if even they turned upside down. Having said that, we've sailed in 7128 and never felt a thing. However, it's likely we didn't enter or leave any ports where the thrusters were required. Thrusters are at the front and back, and they are ALWAYS noisy and vibrate -- for a very short time in relation to the entire time the ship is operating.

Does the Minerva have thrusters?

thanks for your reply everyone is entitled to their opinions haven't you or Oceania heard of podcasters and sleeping in is the best part of a holiday bye

We stayed in 7135 on Marina last year on a very port intensive cruise and the vibrations didn't bother us much, in fact it was better than an alarm clock to tell us we have arrived in port :rolleyes:

we prefer to sleep in when on holidays Ronnie and have always been able to on our past 23 cruises thanks

Well, Jack, I can understand your dislike of those vibrations. We were in one of the aft OCs last November and when we left port the first time we just about fell over at all the noise and vibration. It didn't bother us as much as it does you, I'll admit, but I can certainly understand your feelings. OTOH, we didn't notice the same problem in Vistas on Marina, at the opposite end of the ship.

I'll have to say that when we were in a Vista on Insignia once upon a time, there was similar early morning noise. It wasn't as bad on the smaller ship, but it was noticeable. We just turned over and went back to sleep there. It wasn't so easy on Marina.

Mura

We had a Seven Seas Aft suite on the Regent Mariner and noticed similar vibrations when either docking or leaving the dock. But they were very short lived and did not bother us at all - after all when you are on a ship you rather hope that someone will be manoeuvering it from time to time!

Next cruise we have the Owners Suite on Deck 8 on the Riviera. I will be happy to report on whatever noise/vibration we feel there but since it is a TA cruise we only have 3 ports plus of course the final one.

Is the vibration and noise midship on Riviera less? I'm considering the Oceania suite on deck 12.

We have been in an Oceania suite (deck12) three times on the Riveria and the thruster noise/vibrations were not intrusive. Not as bad as the reverse thrust of aircraft jet engines just after landing.