M Class stern AQ vs. S2 next to elevators

hulamoon

Recently, a very experienced cruiser advised me that stern cabins on M class were often better than SS on M class.

Before he left, I was unsure if I clarified I was looking at AQ the first one wih less privacy 1130 and SS, only ones left are handicapped by elevator.

I am also eyeing Royal but although tempting haven't convinced myself 2600pp for seven days is an amazing offer.

Are SS less, besides older, than they are on S class?

Is this something that you would or would not consider switching?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Recently, a very experienced cruiser advised me that stern cabins on M class were often better than SS on M class.

Before he left, I was unsure if I clarified I was looking at AQ the first one wih less privacy 1130 and SS, only ones left are handicapped by elevator.

I am also eyeing Royal but although tempting haven't convinced myself 2600pp for seven days is an amazing offer.

Are SS less, besides older, than they are on S class?

Is this something that you would or would not consider switching?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Both have pros and cons.

Unless you need the features of an accessible cabin, it comes down to personal preference, deciding which features matter most to you, once the accessible SS cabins are released to the general public.

The SS has a larger cabin, wider balcony, the additional suite amenities, the services of a butler, and location closer to the elevators. The view is to the port side. You can dine in Blu on a space available basis. The gratuities are a little higher as you pay gratuities for the butler.

Next year a big additional advantage will be the new suite dining room.

The stern AQ cabins give you a view of the wake looking outward, but obstructed view looking down, guaranteed dining in Blu, access to the persian gardens and the other AQ amenities. The location is very convenient to the aft bar below, while further away from the elevators.

I guess whether or not it is worth 2600pp for seven days would depend on the itinerary. IMHO that would be extremely expensive for a Caribbean cruise.

Thank you Varoo. We do not need accessible but I think at this point they just want them filled. Are the SS's the same size as in the S class? I have heard yes and no but when I look it up it seems similar.

Are there negatives to being by the elevator I am not aware of?

Thank you.

Edited by hulamoon

We were just in an M class AQ stern (1138, one of the big ones).

One thing I noticed about the ones on each end (the smaller ones) (actually 2 things) - one was that you did not have as much privacy as our 3 in the middle - the canvas over the bar area (beneath you) seemed to be less on the ends. We did not feel our view was compromised in any way by the bar below. You are always looking down at SOMETHING in the aft - we have had many M-afts on decks 8 & 7 and the PH is always the thing you see below. We actually liked being up on 11. Yes, when we stood at our railing, we could see the people in the bar and they could see us - no big deal. When we were sitting in our chairs all you saw was blue. And that beautiful wake.

The second thing was, I at first thought the person in that cabin next to us was keeping their verandah light on all night. But we soon realized that it was not them, it was a light that was permanently on at the top of the stairs leading up from the Sunset bar. With the opaque dividers, it shined through to our deck, and it must have seemed VERY bright for them being right next to it.

Edited by warmwinds

Thanks warmwinds..

I knew it had less privacy I wasn't sure if it would be an issue. The second week we move to a S1. I keep checking, but whoever has the three middle ones still has them!

I guess the light would allow evening reading. Haha

We mostly do book the stern, but on S class we really appreciated oversize balconies on the hump...part sun part shade lots of room and private. We would often drink coffee in our robes on the balcony, not sure that works in this cabin.

Watching this topic with interest...

Mr Sloop & I find ourselves in a similar situation, trying to decide if we should upgrade from an A1 to an S2 or a SS GTY

HULAMOON you & I think very much the same... On M-Class Ships we go Sunset Aft (Concierge has been our booking preference... This will be our first time in Aqua). On S-Class we take a Midship Concierge C2 on the angle of the hump

We have most definitely fallen in love with Bigger Balconies combined with great views / Locations

My "fear" of the Sky Suite at this point in time (besides the eventual Visa Bill :eek: ) is the unknown as to where we would end up (like your cruise ours is showing mostly the Accessible Rooms left). Honestly I am used to doing the picking...

Now if Celebrity wants to GIVE ME a Sky Suite, lol... Whole other story

I won't look a Gift Horse in the mouth... And be thankful no matter which Suite I get

Honest, i'd be just tickled pink :D

Which is why this is the first cruise where we HAVE NOT put a "Do Not Upgrade" Request on our Booking

The Upgrade Fairy is most definitely welcome to kick start our cruise off with a bang (the sound of us popping champagne corks :D )

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Watching this topic with interest...

Mr Sloop & I find ourselves in a similar situation, trying to decide if we should upgrade from an A1 to an S2 or a SS GTY

HULAMOON you & I think very much the same... On M-Class Ships we go Sunset Aft (Concierge has been our booking preference... This will be our first time in Aqua). On S-Class we take a Midship Concierge C2 on the angle of the hump

We have most definitely fallen in love with Bigger Balconies combined with great views / Locations

My "fear" of the Sky Suite at this point in time (besides the eventual Visa Bill :eek: ) is the unknown as to where we would end up (like your cruise ours is showing mostly the Accessible Rooms left). Honestly I am used to doing the picking...

Now if Celebrity wants to GIVE ME a Sky Suite, lol... Whole other story

I won't look a Gift Horse in the mouth... And be thankful no matter which Suite I get

Honest, i'd be just tickled pink :D

Which is why this is the first cruise where we HAVE NOT put a "Do Not Upgrade" Request on our Booking

The Upgrade Fairy is most definitely welcome to kick start our cruise off with a bang (the sound of us popping champagne corks :D )

Cheers!

You are thinking of SS guarantee? Hoping for an upgrade? I think my cruise is a few weeks away from the most frustrating pricing that makes me want to tear my hair out. By tear my hear out pricing I mean offering suite guarantees very low and a few folks will get one of the four royals left.

Now why does this make me crazy? Mostly because I am price sensitive, I want to have a little extra space and usually I am mulling over losing drink package and an extra 25 points.

I think I would be standing firm if we had 138 or the middle one. But no privacy and light all night, I don't know. The mistake I made was not just booking the s1 for both sailings. Prices were good I just had read a thread about how great all those balconies are for Aq1. So I am torn.

i had an SS guarantee once and I loved it. The accessible are likely a little larger, or they are on S class. No bath though, but none in AQ either.

A couple of other differences between regular M afts (CC on 7,8or9) and these AQ up on 11 is that the dividers are completely private. Down below, there was a crack between panels where your next door neighbors could see you and vice versa. Up on 11, there is sort of black gasket (because I don't know what it's actually called) blocking out those gaps. And the floor of the deck is much nicer on 11 - it's that sort of wood-looking all weather stuff, not that rough stuff.

But I have to admit, after being in CC afts, when we first saw our verandah I said "oh no it's so TINY" - lol. It's not. But you know the afts below (at least in the old days) had 4 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, a big table and a small table...this just had 2 adjustable chairs with foot rests and one table.

The ones on the end are smaller...I think 1138 and it's equivalent are the best (even more so that the middle, because you do not get that aft "tunnel vision" feeling on the deck, the angled glass was really wonderful for a panoramic view.

The end ones still are big - just not AS big, since we had that point formed by the angled glass.

Oh, and about that light (just saw your last post) - the drapes do a good job of blacking it out, it's only if you like to sleep with the drapes open will it be a big issue. And you do have privacy when you are sitting back - it's only closer to the front that privacy becomes an issue.

Edited by warmwinds

You are thinking of SS guarantee? Hoping for an upgrade? I think my cruise is a few weeks away from the most frustrating pricing that makes me want to tear my hair out. By tear my hear out pricing I mean offering suite guarantees very low and a few folks will get one of the four royals left.

Now why does this make me crazy? Mostly because I am price sensitive, I want to have a little extra space and usually I am mulling over losing drink package and an extra 25 points.

I think I would be standing firm if we had 138 or the middle one. But no privacy and light all night, I don't know. The mistake I made was not just booking the s1 for both sailings. Prices were good I just had read a thread about how great all those balconies are for Aq1. So I am torn.

i had an SS guarantee once and I loved it. The accessible are likely a little larger, or they are on S class. No bath though, but none in AQ either.

We are debating:

1- Staying put, and trying out Aqua Class for the first time

2- Upgrading to an S2 (several still available)

3- Or taking the S2 GTY and seeing what happens

Option # 1 costs us nothing more we get to enjoy our Promo Perks & knowing that we already got a good deal from Celebrity when they dropped the price 2 weeks after our original booking (saved over $ 200 each then)

Options # 2 & # 3 cost us money... And giving up some Promo Perks (Bevvy Pkg & $ 100 OBC). But I could justify to my conscience the fact that I originally had booked and was paying more before the Price Drop on the AQs... Still not as much as moving to a SS, but it would appease me somewhat (or so I keep telling myself)

Add the fact that I might just end up with something even better than a Sky Suite if I go with the S2 GTY (that one is really really tempting !!)

Lol, then cause I am a crazy optimist... And we are sailing in December

I also think that perhaps the Celebrity Upgrade Fairy Godmother (who I assume knows my best bud Santa) might just decide to grant me a COMPLIMENTARY Upgrade

Lol, afterall I have been a really good girl this year. :rolleyes:

Get to sail in a Suite without the expense... How SUITE would that be ?

A couple of other differences between regular M afts (CC on 7,8or9) and these AQ up on 11 is that the dividers are completely private. Down below, there was a crack between panels where your next door neighbors could see you and vice versa. Up on 11, there is sort of black gasket (because I don't know what it's actually called) blocking out those gaps. And the floor of the deck is much nicer on 11 - it's that sort of wood-looking all weather stuff, not that rough stuff.

But I have to admit, after being in CC afts, when we first saw our verandah I said "oh no it's so TINY" - lol. It's not. But you know the afts below (at least in the old days) had 4 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, a big table and a small table...this just had 2 adjustable chairs with foot rests and one table.

The ones on the end are smaller...I think 1138 and it's equivalent are the best (even more so that the middle, because you do not get that aft "tunnel vision" feeling on the deck, the angled glass was really wonderful for a panoramic view.

The end ones still are big - just not AS big, since we had that point formed by the angled glass.

Oh, and about that light (just saw your last post) - the drapes do a good job of blacking it out, it's only if you like to sleep with the drapes open will it be a big issue. And you do have privacy when you are sitting back - it's only closer to the front that privacy becomes an issue.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Anytime.

And Hulamoon, I would not hesitate to book the end AQ...after all, those 5 are so much better than any other AQ on 11 or 9. They're like First Class on a plane - maybe you don't want to sit in the first row or the last row of F, but you're still in F. :)

Anytime.

And Hulamoon, I would not hesitate to book the end AQ...after all, those 5 are so much better than any other AQ on 11 or 9. They're like First Class on a plane - maybe you don't want to sit in the first row or the last row of F, but you're still in F. :)

Lol, So you are essentially saying it is eFFing great ? :eek::D

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Do you have the very end, middle or next to middle aft? The thing is if you get a suite you can eat in blu, no free water, and a free special ties resturant. Sorry had some fun with that. We always subtract and add to this. Also you can eat in blu. Since it is M not S that would be the most telling feature.

We go between them and on S, my philosophy is upgrade when it is within budget and never mind location. The question is, is that the same for M?

Sloop - yep, ***** Fabulous.

Hula - huh? I've never stayed in a suite, I'm very happy with all the regular afts we've been in, and now these afts in AQ, so not sure what you said (lol), but I can't compare it to a suite. I've also never been on an S-class, so can't compare that, either.

We had 1138, which was in between the end one and the middle one, non-smoking side. Perfect.

Edited by warmwinds

Sorry..posting from a ferry in the bay and I was not clear. I was asking sloop which one she has booked but i didn't want her to have to say the exact cabin as some do not like to say.

Plus I saw the last concert of aerosmith's tour last night, and wow recovering.

Edited by hulamoon

Sorry..posting from a ferry in the bay and I was not clear. I was asking sloop which one she has booked but i didn't want her to have to say the exact cabin as some do not like to say.

Plus I saw the last concert of aerosmith's tour last night, and wow recovering.

Lol... Non Smoking Side... Without the Night Light ;)

Cheers!

I'd probably spring for th RS, definitely if it was after Aprilbut you know that's me.

If not, I might stay put in the AQ your obviously not overly fond of and keep my beverage package and benefits. Gamble, wait until after final payment and then "upgrade" to a garuntee. Often with the upgrade after final payment, instead of the cabin change to a ggaruntee before, we've kept our benefits. You may end up in the SS accessible, or you get a royal suite, but it is a gamble Id take.

My opinion is Sky Suites on M-class are not as nice as S-class except for 6145/6146.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Good info SS not as good. Royal is currently 2600 with benefits 2000 without on the summit. Seven day. We are beyond final payment with current suite benefits.

Benefits more than the drink package? You'd get drinks in Michael's but not elsewhere. Would you loose OBC? I think 2600 is a lot, but that's what we paid in August (different SS to RS).

Why not what what happens as the RSs book and see?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hulamoon, we have been in #1130 on Millennium. We loved it. It and #1133 are the smallest decks (but still huge) of the 5 cabins back there. #1140 is the biggest and the two either side of it are next biggest. We were not bothered by the lack of privacy reported by some (people looking up at your balcony from the Oceanview bar below). I would steer clear of #1133 if it is available because of the smoking below. I have no experience with suites so can't comment of that end of it.

YVR, were you bothered by that light over the stairs next to you? How about the people using the stairs/door? I thought I would use that short-cut more than I did, but it was hard to open that heavy door when you had a cup of coffee or something in your hand. Still convenient to have it there.

My personal opinion on hoping for a really nice upgrade on a GTY - the cabin assignments are supposed to be random. I believe they really are not. Whenever I read about someone getting a fantastic upgrade, they almost always (maybe always??) are cruisers new to Celebrity. They want to WOW them, and perhaps give them the impression those type of upgrades are common, which we all know they are not. For it to happen to a regular X cruiser is rarest of the rare. Just giving this opinion because OP was mentioning hoping for a big upgrade (but not necessarily expecting one). A category or two upgrade? More common and a possibility, but these are usually more related to what floor you are on than anything else. Always a chance, but........

Sorry, this isn't answering the OP question but do Sky Suites on S class get to eat in blu now?!

We had a SS2 for our honeymoon and it really annoyed me that Aqua Class got some additional (and better) perks than we got for less money.

Personally, I wouldn't have a SS again unless it was an amazing deal.