Heathrow coach station

LHT28

Thinking of going to Heathrow the night before out flight home

Looking at the National Express bus from Southampton to T 5 & the Sofitel Hotel

Cannot figure out where the coach drops you at T5 anyone know how far to walk from coach station to the Sofitel?

I did look at the terminal map :eek:

TIA

Lyn

Thinking of going to Heathrow the night before out flight home

Looking at the National Express bus from Southampton to T 5 & the Sofitel Hotel

Cannot figure out where the coach drops you at T5 anyone know how far to walk from coach station to the Sofitel?

I did look at the terminal map :eek:

TIA

Lyn

The Central Bus Station is in the midst of the main Terminal 1-2-3 cluster. Both terminals 4 & 5 are a fair bit away from this - far enough to have their own tube/train stations, respectively.

ETA: just noticed you're looking at going Southampton-LHR T5, and that T5 has its own coach stops. I think I read somewhere that the Sofitel actually has a shuttle bus (only LHR hotel to do so), so maybe checking the hotel website will give you the info you seek.

However, I still stand by the other half of my post:

How early is your flight? Unless you're flying extremely early (like 6 am), I would stay in London and take the Heathrow Express or Connect in in the morning - it's really very efficient. Heck, I once had an overnight connection at LHR, and I still stayed in town!

Book the National Express coach from Southampton to T5. It drops you at the terminal entrance, & Sofitel is integral to that terminal. Simples :)

As Twicker's post, central bus station is in the middle of the T1,2,3 cluster in the middle of the airfield. No need for stops at each of them (though cruise transfer coaches serve each separately).

But T4 is on the southern perimeter & T5 on the western perimeter, remote from that cluster, and both have their own Nat Express coach stops.

Whether to follow Twicker's advice & spend a chunk of your day & evening in central London before heading for Heathrow depends how much you want to spend a limited amount of time in the city & your next-day flight time. Transport & hotel will be more expensive

JB :)

The hotel site (as far I could tell) only says you can walk to T 5 via the tunnel & underground train from other terminals

National express site says the bus stops in T5 arrivals level ...where is the question ;)

Book the National Express coach from Southampton to T5. It drops you at the terminal entrance, & Sofitel is integral to that terminal. Simples :)

Thanks JB that helps a lot

We will take the late afternoon bus to T5 then an early mid day flight home the next day

I am NOT a morning person so getting the 8am bus from Southampton was a non starter :D

Lyn

The hotel site (as far I could tell) only says you can walk to T 5 via the tunnel & underground train from other terminals

National express site says the bus stops in T5 arrivals level ...where is the question ;)

T5 is about 3 miles from the 1/2/3/central bus station cluster, by using the tunnel under the runway.

Shorter if you walk up one of the main runways, but some wimps reckon that route as dangerous :D

A selection of inter-terminal transport methods if you need for any reason.

Edited by John Bull

T5 is about 3 miles from the 1/2/3/central bus station cluster, by using the tunnel under the runway.

Shorter if you walk up one of the main runways, but some wimps reckon that route as dangerous :D

A selection of inter-terminal transport methods if you need for any reason.

You are confusing me ...it does not take much these days :D

I just need to go to T5 then to Sofitel then in the morning to BA check in at T5

I like the K.I.S.S. method ;)

We will take the late afternoon bus to T5 then an early mid day flight home the next day

I am NOT a morning person so getting the 8am bus from Southampton was a non starter :D

Lyn

If you stay at the Hilton at Paddington station, you're 15 minutes from LHR. Just sayin'.

I just need to go to T5 then to Sofitel then in the morning to BA check in at T5
The simple story is this: The Sofitel is part of Terminal 5. That's why you can walk there.

The arrivals level of T5 is basically the ground floor. That's the level of the coach and bus stops. Go inside the building, take a lift (elevator) up to departures/check-in level, and follow the signs to the entrance to the Sofitel.

The simple story is this: The Sofitel is part of Terminal 5. That's why you can walk there.

The arrivals level of T5 is basically the ground floor. That's the level of the coach and bus stops. Go inside the building, take a lift (elevator) up to departures/check-in level, and follow the signs to the entrance to the Sofitel.

Me confusing someone?

Surely not. :D

As G's post:

Nat Express Southampton to T5 entrance.

Elevator in T5 & short well-signed walk to Sofitel effectively the same building.

Ignore my references to the other Ts, central bus station, tunnel & runways. they don't affect you :rolleyes:

In the morning, short walk to T5 check-in.

Fly to Canadian airport.

Ignore my references to the other Ts, central bus station & tunnel, they don't affect you.:rolleyes:

Pilot will take care of the runway bit. ;)

Edited by John Bull

Me confusing someone?

Surely not. :D

As G's post:

Nat Express Southampton to T5 entrance.

Elevator in T5 & short well-signed walk to Sofitel effectively the same building.

Ignore my references to the other Ts, central bus station, tunnel & runways. they don't affect you :rolleyes:

In the morning, short walk to T5 check-in.

Fly to Canadian airport.

Ignore my references to the other Ts, central bus station & tunnel, they don't affect you.:rolleyes:

Pilot will take care of the runway bit. ;)

I DID get it ..I am not really as thick as I appear :D

How much is ure coach and how long is the journey

We are not going to be there until June so the prices are not published yet but looking at the site for other dates the prices range from 30 to 38 GBP for 2 people

Time 1-2 hrs depending on the time of the bus you choose ;)

Lyn

For a midday flight, you need to be checking your bags by around 10am. Check in online from the hotel the night before.

For a midday flight, you need to be checking your bags by around 10am. Check in online from the hotel the night before.

I am aware of that

thanks

Edited by LHT28

For a midday flight, you need to be checking your bags by around 10am.
But doing this removes much of the advantage of staying at the Sofitel.

At Terminal 5, you do not need to drop your bag until 45 minutes before the departure time of your flight, in any cabin. For a flight at exactly 12 noon, you need to have dropped your bags no later than 11.15 am. (This is a hard deadline.)

There really isn't any need to be much earlier than that, particularly if you have no lounge access post-security, and you are able to spend the time more comfortably in the hotel.

In addition, those who are flying in first or business class or who are entitled to use first or business class check-in desks can drop their bags at any time from 5 am on the morning of travel. This facility can be used like this, for example: pack and go over to check-in to drop bag before breakfast, return to hotel to have long leisurely breakfast, check out of hotel nearer departure time, return to check-in area and immediately enter security before going to gate.

Even those who can't do this may be able to get most of this benefit by dropping bags from 3½ hours before departure (which is when bag drop reportedly actually opens, despite the fact that the screens say 3 hours), and then going back to the hotel to enjoy the facilities for a while longer.

Packing up and checking out of the hotel 2½ hours before departure, going to check-in to drop bags at 2 hours, and then immediately going through security at that time is probably the worst of all worlds, unless the aim is to use the lounges after security (for those who are entitled to access). I would otherwise only recommend it for those who like to be told to hurry up and wait.

Does anyone know if you have World Traveller plus seat (premium Economy) on BA if you have access to the lounges for international flights??

We do not usually fly BA

Are there any "pay per use" lounges in T5 that do not require a specific airline affiliation ?

Thanks

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Does anyone know if you have World Traveller plus seat (premium Economy) on BA if you have access to the lounges for international flights??

We do not usually fly BA

Thanks

Lyn

No, only business or first class, or holders of certain other oneworld affiliates cards.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Does anyone know if you have World Traveller plus seat (premium Economy) on BA if you have access to the lounges for international flights?
No, WT+ does not include lounge access.
Are there any "pay per use" lounges in T5 that do not require a specific airline affiliation ?
No, not at T5. Edited by Globaliser

I guess will look for a plan "B" :D
That's one of the reasons why I suggested the "plan B" of waiting in the hotel until it's time to clear security and go to the gate.

Another possibility, if you feel like possibly treating yourselves, is to ask at check-in whether there are any special offer upgrades for cash. Sometimes these are sold at something like £500 per person each way (for WT+ to Club World). If you were to accept an offer, then you'd be entitled to use any of the Galleries Club lounges, as well as flying in Club of course.

If you do end up having to wait in the main departures area and you feel like getting something to eat, the best choices are probably (IMHO) Plane Food and Giraffe, both on the same level as security.