Need Elegant Night Attire Help

Hello,

I will be on the Triumph Nov.17th

My girlfriend is a first time cruiser, so we want to do elegant night.

I want to Dress to impress, You know the wow factor.

Here is what I have in mind.

Black Velvet Sportcoat

Crisp white shirt, french cuffs with simple silver cufflinks

Open button on the shirt.

Either nice dark Jeans or charcoal slacks with Polished burgundy shoes.

If it matters I am 43 and fit.

Want to see what everyone thinks and maybe comment on the Jeans or slacks.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Why not consider renting a tux (it will be waiting for you in your cabin when you board), and bring along a coloured tuxedo shirt? I like the idea of the velvet blazer /shirt with French cuffs, etc., but you might find velvet a little warm for a Caribbean cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Wear the slacks. Jeans are technically not allowed on elegant night. While you could get in with them, it's also possible that they would follow the dress code and turn you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree...ditch the velvet and jeans....Jeans are in NO WAY "elegant" or "formal"...no matter what the color. And, no matter how "fit" you are!! You will want something without an "open collar"...that is NOT formal, either... Sounds like club wear...not formalwear.

If you want to have heat prostration wear the velvet blazer. Id concur with renting tux on board. Otherwise a black or charcoal suit. Definitely a tie as open collar with a jacket is really classified as smart casual not formal. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to do the velvet jacket, why not? The ships are all air conditioned so you should be fine. Do the slacks, not the jeans.

I agree totally with what Daisyoo says. I think the outfit you described would be different and really sharp!

My husband has a nice suede sports coat from Men's Warehouse that I love (I picked it out). He wears it with an button down with open collar and dark jeans. It looks fab on him. The outfit you described would look better with dark jeans.

You have to take people's comments here with a grain of salt. No insult to the members but over the years of coming here some feel a buying dress pants at a thrift store or on clearance at JcPenny's for $10 is more "formal" than a pair of $250 jeans. That is just their personal opinion. Jeans can be dressed up and is a stylish and sexy look. Wear what you are most comfortable in and what your lady likes to see you in.

Edited by angelndscz

I was about to get my knickers in a knot about the open collar, etc., when I realized there is a difference here. We are confusing "elegant night" with "formal night". Elegant night means dressing up so that you feel elegant, in something more special than your daily attire, while formal night means dressing in a rather traditional formal manner, which includes closed collar and a tie.

Rangersfan2014, I think you will look great in the outfit you describe for elegant night. Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thanks for the input.

Think I am going to stick it out with the velvet and jeans.

Its on Carnival so I dont think it will be a issue. They are very nice jeans, but will take my slacks just in case.

Looking online I think if the shirt is white and crisp with nice cufflinks and classy shoes, it looks very nice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

My husband has a nice suede sports coat from Men's Warehouse that I love (I picked it out). He wears it with an button down with open collar and dark jeans. It looks fab on him. The outfit you described would look better with dark jeans.

You have to take people's comments here with a grain of salt. No insult to the members but over the years of coming here some feel a buying dress pants at a thrift store or on clearance at JcPenny's for $10 is more "formal" than a pair of $250 jeans. That is just their personal opinion. Jeans can be dressed up and is a stylish and sexy look. Wear what you are most comfortable in and what your lady likes to see you in.

The problem is that jeans are not on the dress code for elegant night and you run the risk of getting turned away even if the outfit looks dressy. There have been reports of maître ds enforcing the dress code on elegant night lately so you never know. I do think that jeans can look dressy when paired with the right pieces, but it doesn't always come down to how much they cost. If you wear jeans on elegant night, you are taking that risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion rented clothing hardly ever fits well and if you desire to make an impression with your clothing it is vital that it should fit! Any man is improved I feel by a well tailored suit. Formal evening wear needs to be just that 'formal' so jeans really are a no no and a tie really must be worn however if your dress code requires you to be 'elegant' jeans may be acceptable (but good trousers would look better) as may an open neck, you would need to check your cruise lines guidelines in this respect. You sound to be inclined towards wanting something a bit different and I think a beautiful velvet jacket would be wonderful, I assume French cuffs are what are called double cuffs in the UK and I really wouldn't entertain any other type of shirt and by the way make sure that that is well fitted also, great clouds of billowing fabric overhanging your trousers will not add to an elegant silhouette.😉To give the impression of effortless elegance as apposed to 'tried desperately to impress' it would be preferable to stick with simple shiny black shoes. You may find this article helpful: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2012-08/30/black-tie-guide-suit-shirt-how-to

Whatever you choose to wear, wear it with confidence, confidence makes everyone more alluring, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Have you looked in the men's dept. in a good dept. store or a men's store? A nice, well tailored blazer or sports jacket would probably be better on the cruise. You can wear what you like but as many of us are saying, velvet is out of place in the Caribbean.

Fashion is so individualized today. I always wear a tux for formal nights. If my DW thought that I looked better in a suit, I would wear that. It seems to me that most women prefer the way their men in a tux. If she thinks that you look best in a tux, wear that. If she thinks you look good in a sport coat, wear that. She has to look at you all evening. Even you don't have to do that. Make her happy. You will be happy. Good luck.

Fashion is so individualized today. I always wear a tux for formal nights. If my DW thought that I looked better in a suit, I would wear that. It seems to me that most women prefer the way their men in a tux. If she thinks that you look best in a tux, wear that. If she thinks you look good in a sport coat, wear that. She has to look at you all evening. Even you don't have to do that. Make her happy. You will be happy. Good luck.

Words of wisdom. 😉

In my humble opinion rented clothing hardly ever fits well and if you desire to make an impression with your clothing it is vital that it should fit! /quote]

There is an online company www.cruiselineformal.com where people can rent tuxedos, etc. Prior to purchasing their own tuxedos, my husband and son rented a few times from cruiselineformal and were very satisfied with the fit and quality of the tuxedos. You have to send them your exact measurements - they were measured at a local tailor - and they adjust them to fit accordingly. The rental included 2 shirts, cummerbund, tie and studs, and they were waiting in our cabins when we boarded the ship.

Having said that, I have some rather ill-fitting tuxedos on fellows, and I wonder if they're not wanting to get just another few wearings out of them before they toss them. :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)