Cancel Sept. Bermuda cruise due to hurricane risk?

We booked the 5 night Bermuda cruise on Liberty out of Cape Liberty on 9/5/15. The more I read about Bermuda weather in September, the more concerned I get. I definitely do not want to end up in Canada due to a storm. I understand this is a risk you take with cruising, but September looks particularly risky. Would you cancel or take the chance of being rerouted due to a hurricane?

I cruised to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty in late August b/w two hurricanes in 2010...a little bumpy...but a fantastic cruise!!! Bad weather is always a risk no matter when you cruise....but a cruise is a cruise no matter where it takes you :)

If you've got a cabin you like at a price you're happy with from an easily accessible port, I wouldn't cancel.

Edited by karen s

Hurricane season is June through November, 6 months. They can hit anytime, anywhere. We sailed on Explorer out of Cape Liberty 10/28/12, and sailed directly into the outerbands of Hurricane Sandy. It was a really wild ride there, with 45+ ft waves, and winds over 100 MPH, with gusts up to 180!! :D We had a wonderful time in Bermuda, nice warm weather the 2.5 days we were there. I would not cancel in September, but I would get Travel Insurance, just in case there are problems.

I stopped cruising during hurricane season..Even two days after a hurrican passes seas are rough.Lots of rockin.Islands also have beaches torn up.Erosion,seaweed etc.So we started going after hurricane season.But as others said,ya never know.I just got sick of worrying about it.

We sailed this year to Bermuda on Sept 6. Seas were extremely calm on the way to Bermuda and a little rough on the return. We have had rougher seas in the past sailing in May. I guess the decision depends on your risk tolerance and flexibility (in case they have to 're-route. Enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

For everyone who has suggested trip insurance, does anyone know what happens if a hurricane would hit and we cannot make it to Bermuda, but are rerouted? Would an insurance policy view this as still taking a trip, even though we don't make it to our intended destination. I would appreciate any recommendations for trip insurance that would cover us if we aren't able to make it to Bermuda due to a hurricane.

We booked the 5 night Bermuda cruise on Liberty out of Cape Liberty on 9/5/15. The more I read about Bermuda weather in September, the more concerned I get. I definitely do not want to end up in Canada due to a storm. I understand this is a risk you take with cruising, but September looks particularly risky. Would you cancel or take the chance of being rerouted due to a hurricane?

HEY! whats wrong with canada? :P we canadians are friendly!

Hello -

I've cruised to Bermuda 4 times in the month of September. I've never had an issue with Hurricanes or weather. Actually the worst weather we've had was leaving Bermuda heading to San Juan in April! - 30 ft seas.

Yes the risk is higher, but I would never cancel a cruise based on this. risk. Late Aug and Sept are the best months to visit Bermuda - low cost, warm and kids are back in school.

We cruised Eastern in Sept this year and I have another cruise booked for next Sept.

Regardless - I hope you have a great vacation

First, Canada has really, really good beer. Go there if you get a chance.

Second, the cruise line has booked all of the shore excursions and such, they will only re-route the cruise if they have to. Hence if they re-route you it isn't on a whim. Imagine the nightmare of canceling shore excursions while underway and refunding all that money.

Third the cruise contract is pages of mice type that says they can take you where and when they want. Insurance won't cover if you miss a port.

We booked a Western Carib Disney cruise because we had JUST been on an Eastern Carib. The night before we boarded I got a text and an email that our Western had become an Eastern due to a storm. We had one sea day or cloudy weather, the rest of the cruise was perfect.

Hurricane season is long and it's the chance you take. That said, if it is a choice between taking this cruise or not cruising until it is "safer", life is too short. Go for it:D

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jstraw20

Hurricane season is June through November, 6 months. They can hit anytime, anywhere. We sailed on Explorer out of Cape Liberty 10/28/12, and sailed directly into the outerbands of Hurricane Sandy. It was a really wild ride there, with 45+ ft waves, and winds over 100 MPH, with gusts up to 180!! :D We had a wonderful time in Bermuda, nice warm weather the 2.5 days we were there. I would not cancel in September, but I would get Travel Insurance, just in case there are problems.

We were on the same cruise. It was a wild ride and we had a great time.... The two things I remember that impressed me most was looking out the 4th deck dining room windows and having to LOOK UP to see the tops of the waves and the tables (and people) sliding across the tile floor of the WindJammer at the height of the storm.

Just bring along the Bonine seasick pills in case you run into rough seas.

Edited by edjny

Personally, I wouldn't cancel.

I have cruised during hurricane season and had the best weather out of the 4 of my cruises! The previous year, similar week, there was a hurricane... You just never know.

Also, I'm not sure what the issue with being re-routed is. I know you won't be going where you booked but regardless, you are on a cruise!

If you cancel and the weather is perfect, you would be gutted.

Edited by jo24

FYI: If your captain is trying to avoid a hurricane coming up the eastern seaboard, Canada is the last place you'll end up. :D