IConcierge app

dizneydawn

@ctrlbrk, here.. Please let me know if link or APK does not work. Yeah, I had to take it from my phone to put on my tablet. Seems it only likes some phones????

Could you repost please? I changed phones yesterday, cruise starts Saturday, and the link isn't working

Sent from my phone

Could you repost please? I changed phones yesterday, cruise starts Saturday, and the link isn't working

Sent from my phone

The link works for me. Here it is again. It's in my Box storage. I placed a copy in Dropbox. Have a great trip!

Edited by Rhea98

My husband and I will be on the Gem and would like to be able to text each other while on the ship using our iPhones. So if we each pay a one time $ 8.00 fee we will be able to do that? Meanwhile we disable what? To make sure that we don't incur roaming or any other charges? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I will be on the Gem and would like to be able to text each other while on the ship using our iPhones. So if we each pay a one time $ 8.00 fee we will be able to do that? Meanwhile we disable what? To make sure that we don't incur roaming or any other charges? Thank you.

The fee is $7.95 per device for the duration of the cruise so each of you will need to pay. BTW, if you use the app without the calling and texting feature, there is no charge. Put you phone in airplane mode and enable wifi. You will use the ship's wifi for texting and calling other app users.

Here's a review I did a few months ago after I used the app on the Pearl.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2077068

Airplane mode will disable regular texting.m You dont need to be in Airplane mode to stop unwanted data charges. Just turn off your cellular data in settings.

If you have Airplane mode on and have a wifi package you can send data-based "texts" like imessage but not regular texts.

When I cruised in September I did not use the ships wifi. I turned off my data and used texting to keep in touch with home (and my family on the cruise). My provider doesnt charge anything extra for cruise ship texting (it was 75 cents per outgoing text).

But you absolutely want to have your data connections turned off. Most providers have local data charges (what is probably included in your plan), roaming data charges which are more expensive and then cruise ship data charges which are ridiculously expensive.

Attached pdf explains the iconcierge app

If I understand correctly, you only need to sign up for the one-time $8 account fee if you want to use it for texting and/or phoning other passengers on board. Other features can be used for free.

You understand correctly.

posted from my N7 FHD via Tapatalk

I think that I read that dinner and entertainment that you book prior to the cruise does not show up once you launch the app on the ship. Only reservations that you book after the app is launched will show? Any way to add your pre-cruise reservations?

Thanks!

k

We used this app (on androids) on the Breakaway. It was a very strange experience. We bought the plan where you can tall/text someone else with the app but it didn't work. The calls wouldn't go through.

However, not sure if this was because we bought the texting/calling or not, but I was able to receive notifications from the outside world (notifications that payments were coming in on PayPal). I couldn't actually go on PayPal or other internet things, but notifications were coming in. So that was super weird.

We called home with it, because it was cheaper than using the ship's phone. Other than that I don't know how you would text the outside world with it.

To text the "outside world", you do it through the ship's cell system without the app. If you set airplane mode, it should stay that way until you turn it off. We pit our phones back in normal mode when in port each day.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

We used this app (on androids)

We called home with it, because it was cheaper than using the ship's phone. Other than that I don't know how you would text the outside world with it.

I'm pretty sure I read texting from ship to shore (via the app) isn't possible, but would you mind sharing the cost of the calls?

We used the intraship communication on Epic two years ago. Texting was much more reliable. I never tried to call the room (that seems to be a feature), but calling my dh's phone didn't seem to work very well.

I not only received outside notifications (FB and GMail), I was able to email to son's gmail acct from my gmail via the app. I did not have a wifi plan--just the app. I had the sim card out of my phone.

posted from my N7 FHD via Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

I used the iConcierge app on the Jewel a couple of weeks ago. At first I had problems registering. I tried three or four times and kept getting a message saying no one with my name and birthdate was on board. I was about to give up and go to guest services to see if I was doing something wrong, then decided to put my phone down and try one more time later in the day. Tried a couple of hours later and it registered me right away.

I liked being able to check my account, make dinner reservations, and see the activities schedule.

For me it fell flat with the voice and text part. We originally got it for these features as the other half of our party were staying on a different deck. The voice part felt like we were talking to each other while standing miles away, yelling down a long tunnel. Very hard to hear each other. Text never worked at all. We tried sending a few texts to each other throughout the cruise and none went through.

I'd download it again, but only for the free part. I'd save the $7.95 and just make plans with others ahead of time, or leave a message on their cabin phone.

Airplane mode will disable regular texting.m You dont need to be in Airplane mode to stop unwanted data charges. Just turn off your cellular data in settings.

If you have Airplane mode on and have a wifi package you can send data-based "texts" like imessage but not regular texts.

When I cruised in September I did not use the ships wifi. I turned off my data and used texting to keep in touch with home (and my family on the cruise). My provider doesnt charge anything extra for cruise ship texting (it was 75 cents per outgoing text).

But you absolutely want to have your data connections turned off. Most providers have local data charges (what is probably included in your plan), roaming data charges which are more expensive and then cruise ship data charges which are ridiculously expensive.

Is this how it works with MTS? I thought we would get charged roaming for texting and/or receiving calls even if the data is turned off.

If you phone is one and NOT in airplane mode, you can make and receive calls with the outside world, at $2.49 a minute. No extra charges above that.

If you want to text with the outside world, you pay per text. $0.50 to send, either $.05 or free to receive.. I forget.

I was very disappointed to find out that as suggested here, the Gem does not have the IConcierge App. My husband wants to be able to keep in touch with each other on the ship. Do any walkie talkies work well? If so, which have you used? Thank you!

I was very disappointed to find out that as suggested here, the Gem does not have the IConcierge App. My husband wants to be able to keep in touch with each other on the ship. Do any walkie talkies work well? If so, which have you used? Thank you!

Is this how it works with MTS? I thought we would get charged roaming for texting and/or receiving calls even if the data is turned off.

I babysat the grandkids when my son went out of the country. He had me put 2 apps on my phone. One was Viper and the other the WhatsApp. We were able to text back and forth without any extra charges with the WhatsApp and call with the Viper app without any charges.

I still have the apps on my phone so I might try those. I also noticed that people are buying SIM cards in Italy for their phones. One lady that we are going on an excursion with said she is paying 20 Euros for her SIM card and it will last her a month.

Monica

I babysat the grandkids when my son went out of the country. He had me put 2 apps on my phone. One was Viper and the other the WhatsApp. We were able to text back and forth without any extra charges with the WhatsApp and call with the Viper app without any charges.

I still have the apps on my phone so I might try those. I also noticed that people are buying SIM cards in Italy for their phones. One lady that we are going on an excursion with said she is paying 20 Euros for her SIM card and it will last her a month.

Monica

The person on the ship would have to pay for wifi access in order to use WhatsApp or Viper. You absolutely cannot use those without an internet connection.

The person on the ship would have to pay for wifi access in order to use WhatsApp or Viper. You absolutely cannot use those without an internet connection.

i would agree with this 100%.

by the way, one of the ships seemed to have a "hole" in the system when it first had iconcierge and free texts were going out. They have fixed that.

Yes you get charged roaming for texting and voice calls.

When Data connections are turned off, you can access data through Wifi and still use Cellular voice calls and texting.

MTS charges $7/minute for voice calls on a cruise ship (they actually list "cruise ship"). Its much cheaper to call home from your stateroom if you have to.

MTS charges 75 cents for texting from a cruise ship (this is the standard international text charge).

So for me it made sense to just turn off Data and send text messages. MTS also has an international text package which I think was $35 for unlimited texting. I bought a wifi package in Bermuda for data which i was "sometimes" able to use from the ship.

You should receive a text warning when crossing a national or international line. MTS will send a text advising you of the charges. While I do work for MTS, I havent worked in wireless for a long time so I suggest calling them or checking the website (website has all the cruise ship charges).