Steakhouse questions

Bluemoon319

I understand food in the steakhouse is supposed to be fabulous, but I've always been quite satisfied with the food in the MDR so I didn't see the sense in going to the steakhouse. However, I have some OBC for an upcoming cruise on the Pride & have been thinking this might be the time to check it out. Any input on the following would be appreciated.

Does it sell out quickly? What about the 1st night? Can I make a reservation ahead of time? If so, where? I don't see it on my booking.

I understand you get a free bottle of wine if you book it for the 1st night. Is this per person or per cabin? What kind of wine is it? Does it have to be opened at dinner or can it be taken back to the cabin?

I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that there is a 1/2 price deal on wine when it's ordered at the steakhouse. Is this true?

If you don't like something you ordered, can you order something else?

How long should I allow for dinner?

Is the dress code the same as cruise elegant nights?

I'll probably have more questions, but that's about it for now. Pictures and recommendations for what to order would be very welcomed.

Thanks bunches :)

If you go into your booking on Carnival under "manage" and then plan activities, there will be a blue column on the left hand side that says "Activities and Excursions" and the steak house is the third one down. You can make a reservation there.

Jeans are allowed on non-elegant nights.

*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining.

https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Controls/SteakhouseRequest

I understand food in the steakhouse is supposed to be fabulous, but I've always been quite satisfied with the food in the MDR so I didn't see the sense in going to the steakhouse. However, I have some OBC for an upcoming cruise on the Pride & have been thinking this might be the time to check it out. Any input on the following would be appreciated.

Does it sell out quickly? What about the 1st night? Can I make a reservation ahead of time? If so, where? I don't see it on my booking.

I understand you get a free bottle of wine if you book it for the 1st night. Is this per person or per cabin? What kind of wine is it? Does it have to be opened at dinner or can it be taken back to the cabin?

I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that there is a 1/2 price deal on wine when it's ordered at the steakhouse. Is this true?

I'll probably have more questions, but that's about it for now. Pictures and recommendations for what to order would be very welcomed.

We love the steakhouse for the food and the experience. I have attempted to provide answers:

Certain times and days can sell out. As the above poster mentions, you can schedule in advance.

The free wine on the first night (and the first elegant night) are by table. It is an inexpensive wine but still very nice. I am not sure if you could take it back to your cabin without consuming any.

There is no discount on wine ordered thru the steakhouse.

I have seen people return things they don't like but it takes time to get it replaced.

The minimum time we have done in the steakhouse was about 1:45, but usually it takes about 2 1/2 hours. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Dress code is the same as the MDR, but, last three time sailings they have said no shorts when we have made a reservation.

Hmmmm....I dunno if I'd call the food in the steakhouse "fabulous"..I guess some on here would...but it's very very good, well worth the charge, and better than anything served in the MDR..IMHO.

I can't speak to the wine..we've never gone the first night, and when we do, we bring our own, or just order a glass or 2.

As for it "selling out"...I can't say 100% for sure, but..not even close.from what I've seen on the Pride. We've sailed the Pride 3 times...most recently last month...been to Davids(Pride Steakhouse) each cruise...couple times on one. Even during the summer, it's not close to sold out when we've gone...Last month there may have been 4 other tables being served along with us. David's seems to be one of the larger steakhouse's on Carnival ships...has 2 levels....on the upstairs level, all the tables are along the window..depending on time of day and month, and ship heading, nice sunset views can be had. On our first Pride cruise, we booked onboard, got reservations same day for early evening.....had a great sunset view during dinner. You can 'view" Davids from the outside decks around it. I've walked around outside, and without being too obnoxious, peered into Davids at dinner times, very open, but I know reservations bring "peace of mind". Figure about 2 hours for dinner.

Last month one of the folks at our table ordered something not to their liking and returned it for something else.

I've only eaten in a Steakhouse once and it was David's on the Carnival Pride. It was good food and an excellent experience and I'm glad I went. Like bar said, there were maybe 4 or 5 tables with people in the entire restaurant.

The steakhouses can and do sometimes sell out, especially on the newer ships where there are fewer tables in the steakhouse.

Since there aren't multiple seating or rush to get you out, you might see empty tables but that doesn't mean they weren't occupied or will not be occupied.

That they offer a free bottle of wine the first two nights tells you something about occupancy on those nights.

You can take the wine with you. When I did the steakhouse on the Dream and received my bottle of wine, I didn't come close to finishing it (I was the only one of the two who could drink). They corked it and I took the remainder of the bottle with me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can email the Steakhouse Manager directly to get a confirmation @

* prsteakhouse@carnival.com

Subject: Attn: Steakhouse Manager Re: Steakhouse Reservation

Include your name, sailing date, confirmation #, # of people dining & date

This is exactly what I did when I made reservation for my Splendor cruise in May

On our last cruise aboard the Carnival Breeze, our luggage was very late getting to our cabin. We had reservations for 6:30 in the steakhouse. They would not allow my husband to come in jeans. They said they would change to another night if needed. Luckily, his luggage showed up in time for us to make our reservation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our last cruise aboard the Carnival Breeze' date=' our luggage was very late getting to our cabin. We had reservations for 6:30 in the steakhouse. They would not allow my husband to come in jeans. They said they would change to another night if needed. Luckily, his luggage showed up in time for us to make our reservation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']

I have a hard time believing that, if the jeans were in any kind of decent shape. Jeans are expressly allowed on cruise casual nights and I have always worn jeans in the steakhouse and before that, the supper club.

We rarely have had problems making steakhouse reservations, even once on board - but there are days when certain times will book quickly. We found that out the first time we sailed Carnival Pride - we tried to book the second sea day, but all that was available was very early or very late.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can email the Steakhouse Manager directly to get a confirmation @

* prsteakhouse@carnival.com

Subject: Attn: Steakhouse Manager Re: Steakhouse Reservation

Include your name, sailing date, confirmation #, # of people dining & date

This is exactly what I did when I made reservation for my Splendor cruise in May

I doubt you will have a problem on the first night. It is a slow night, that is why they are offering the free wine. We did the Steakhouse on the first night on our cruise aboard the Splendor in August. It was about half full. Night 5 we went back again (with a reservation) and it was full and no openings for the entire night.

I think it depends on the ship. The steakhouse on the Miracle reminded us that jeans weren't allowed.

I can't believe you accused the writer of that post that she was lying. Sheesh.

Per the Carnival website and my personal experiences, jeans are allowed on cruise casual nights. It doesn't say anything about ship specific and FYI, we were just on the Miracle.

I didn't accuse anyone of lying, I said I had a hard time believing it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to the story.

I can't believe you tried to put words in my mouth. Well, I guess I can. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input. You have all been very helpful. :)

I thought this page might be very helpful to you, it answers a lot of your questions. http://www.shipcruise.org/carnival-steakhouse-menu/

Thanks for the link. It says on this page that buying a bottle of wine from the wine shop comes with a free steak. I don't recall seeing a wine shop on board. Hmmm.... Has anyone done this? Are you supposed to get this free steak during your steakhouse dinner? I can't imagine being able to eat that much at one sitting! :eek: Or do you get it at the MDR? Hmmm...