Question for ruth c

solocanadian

Ruth, did you try the dessert "Chocolate Soup" on your last cruise? Couldn't help but think of you when I saw it on the menu.

How could something called "Chocolate Soup" be anything but wonderful? I'm hoping it will appear on the menu for our T/A!!!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Yes, I tried it on the Volendam, and had a bite of someone else' on the Amsterdam.

I thought it awful.

It tastes something like cooked pudding, before it's been cooked (but is thoroughly mixed). There's chunks of banana in it, with some sort of topping I don't recall (merengue, perhaps?), all served in a tulip champagne glass.

I didn't finish it.

On the Amsterdam it was worse. There was a grainy texture to it that should not have been there. Not smooth at all.

Yes, I tried it on the Volendam, and had a bite of someone else' on the Amsterdam.

I thought it awful.

It tastes something like cooked pudding, before it's been cooked (but is thoroughly mixed). There's chunks of banana in it, with some sort of topping I don't recall (merengue, perhaps?), all served in a tulip champagne glass.

I didn't finish it.

On the Amsterdam it was worse. There was a grainy texture to it that should not have been there. Not smooth at all.

I agree with Ruth. I tried it once and that was one time too many. :(

Oh yuck, it sounds awful. Thanks for letting us know - if it does show up on our menu, I need not bother with it.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Typically I go for the fruit desserts, but I'm not adverse to chocolate. Even though banana isn't my favorite fruit, I was intrigued by the chocolate 'soup'. One spoonful was enough for me. All I could taste was banana. The only thing that gave any indication of chocolate was the color.

IIRC this was a featured dessert from someone on HAL's Culinary Council, someone known for his/her chocolate desserts. That factored into my deciding to try the 'soup'. I'm not a fan of Chef Rudy and I'm pretty sure I haven't been impressed by any featured item from anyone on the Culinary Council.

Edited by Mary Ellen

I love chocolate soup and was intrigued by the title of this thread.

But now I know I won't order it on the ships.

Guess I will have to make a trip back to Hershey, PA to get the really good chocolate soup which doesn't have bananas in it.

Must try that next time through Hershey.

Chocolate soup doesn't sound too appealing the way several here have described it, and I have never had the one at Hershey Park .

But I suddenly have a craving for the frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity in NYC. *LOL*

Edited by babyher

Just because I didn't like the dessert doesn't mean no one else will, either.

I recommend you order it, along with another dessert you want, and try them both. After all, there's no extra charge for the second dessert, and with two desserts served you WILL get something you like. :D

I won't be ordering this one and I love chocolate. I hate wasting food so I don't want to try it as an experiment. Hal leaves a lot to be desired in the dessert department. Years ago the desserts were so good. Chef Rudi seemed to end that.

I won't be ordering this one and I love chocolate. I hate wasting food so I don't want to try it as an experiment. Hal leaves a lot to be desired in the dessert department. Years ago the desserts were so good. Chef Rudi seemed to end that.

You've got that right. Now they are giving away his cookbooks as a gift if you are in a Neptune Suite. I may re-gift it at Christmas as I don't care for his recipes.

We would have thought that Jaques Torres' dishes would have been amazing chocolate creations. He's on the culinary council and DW was really looking forward to his dishes on the ship. She was disappointed. We've been fortunate to have eaten in the restaurants of several of the culinary council members. The dishes on the ships don't quite live up to what you would expect if you have been to their establishments.

Chocolate soup doesn't sound too appealing the way several here have described it, and I have never had the one at Hershey Park .

But I suddenly have a craving for the frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity in NYC. *LOL*

We made hot chocolate last night with canned milk and Nutella, sat by our fire pit was wonderful.

Just because I didn't like the dessert doesn't mean no one else will, either.

I recommend you order it, along with another dessert you want, and try them both. After all, there's no extra charge for the second dessert, and with two desserts served you WILL get something you like. :D

I like it one for each hand.:)