Freedom of Seas "suites come first?????"

If you were in the CL it was probably Rahul. But Berty does fill in when Rahul is on vacation. As much as us frequent cruisers may not like it suites do come first. They pay for the concierge service in their fare. C&A members get the service as a benefit. I have sailed on the Freedom seventeen times and Berty has never been anything but friendly, courteous and helpful. I find it hard to believe that Berty would be rude to any passenger, if it came across that way it was unintentional I'm sure.

I'm sorry but there is no way you can be sure as you weren't there.

I was on Freedom for the past two weeks and spent a considerable amount of time in the Diamond lounge and never sensed any negative attitude from Berty. I wasn't staying in a suite either. He was always friendly and helpful to me.
Berty is great and so is Rahul -- I will defend them on CC. Edited by SherriZ366

We met a couple who were new Pinnacles in the Diamond Lounge on Freedom. They were a lovely couple, and we didn't even know that they were Pinnacle until the second night.

On the other hand, we met a couple on the Enchantment who were sitting in the Centrum before sale away. The lady - and I use that term loosely - looked down her nose at me and said, and I quote - "And WHAT are you?" No, she did not mean who are you, she meant what level of C&A were we. Really?

There are nice people and obnoxious people at ALL levels of C&A. I would hope that ones overall temperament and attitude does not change just because they give you a special pin!

We noticed a few snooty Pinnacles on EN -- that always sat together and looked down their nose at D+s like us. So one night we sat in the "cool kids" area and we got into conversation about Kindles and Nooks. I talked about a former boss who has to have 2 Kindles because he reads so much. I used to have to order him 3 books on what ever topic he was into -- from the library we had access to -- twice a week as we did not have much internet in the mid-1980's. They acted like I was making it up but even these snobby folks behavior did not goad me into dropping his name.

We noticed a few snooty Pinnacles on EN -- that always sat together and looked down their nose at D+s like us. So one night we sat in the "cool kids" area and we got into conversation about Kindles and Nooks. I talked about a former boss who has to have 2 Kindles because he reads so much. I used to have to order him 3 books on what ever topic he was into -- from the library we had access to -- twice a week as we did not have much internet in the mid-1980's. They acted like I was making it up but even these snobby folks behavior did not goad me into dropping his name.

Internet and Kindles in the mid-1980's? Your post makes no sense.

Edited by BND

I believe the previous poster was stating that was BEFORE the Kindle came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what I meant. We did not have Kindles in the mid-1980's and the Internet was crude and hard to use. So I ordered 3 real books (with paper and binding) on whatever topic my former boss was into twice a week from a library that he had access to twice a week as he through them so quickly.

The "cool kid" Pinnacles could not believe that anyone would need more than one Kindle as it holds 1,000 books. But I did not make this up.

Well said Phoenix. We look towards experienced cruisers to provide education to beginners just beginning to float. On my first RCI cruise in August, we met a wonderful couple, not sure what level they were as they were happy to share the program with us and made us feel good to be part of the group even if it was our first cruise. There really are some great loyalty cruisers out there.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

If a number of concierges are saying that suites come first, then most likely this is something coming from corporate, and complaining will only result in corporate telling the concierges that suites come first, but don't announce it.

I was in a suite on the Freedom OTS in 2007 and quite frankly, the concierge was useless. As a result I did not leave him a tip. It wasn't a case of bad service, it was a complete lack of any service. He did not follow up on anything and I ended have to take care of everything on my own, when I would rather have been spending time with my family. I got treated better on the the Serenade OTS in an ocean view (I was platinum at the time).

It is quite a stretch to go from two concierges treating non-suite guests rudely to claiming that "a number of concierges" are behaving in a similar manner and an even greater stretch to then claim that this is the result of a corporate policy decision. We have experienced Willie's rude behavior in the past and had hoped that he had had an attitude adjustment but such was not the case on our most recent encounter with him on the Brilliance.

However, based on our experiences with numerous other concierges on various RCI ships, I am confident that rude behavior is definitely the exception and not the rule, and the vast majority of concierges treat all guests with excellent service, without exception.

Anyone who defends the "suites come first" attitude because the lounges were originally meant for suite guests, should realize that it was the company that decided to offer this perk to the highest tiers of C&A membership. It was not something that Diamond, Diamond Plus,(and eventually Pinnacle) demanded. Anyone granted access to the lounges has the right to be treated fairly and equally well as any other guest. As far as the fatalistic attitude expressed by some that non-suite guests will eventually lose access to the lounge, I refuse to adopt such a negative position and will continue to enjoy the perks as long as they are available.

As far as the fatalistic attitude expressed by some that non-suite guests will eventually lose access to the lounge, I refuse to adopt such a negative position and will continue to enjoy the perks as long as they are available.

On my July cruise a server told us that CL was now for suites only. He didn't realize we were D+ and that we were still allowed in. He was very surprised that our card worked in the door.

I agree with another poster that it is probably a corporate recommendation that concierges prioritize suite guests. Our concierge referred several times to 'my people' when he was talking about suite guests.

I don't think it's a negative position, I think it's a realistic position. People love the 3 vouchers. It will be much easier for Royal to make the change to suites only in CL once voucher use is well-established.

Edited by marci22

Do the concierges make a decent salary? I was on the freedom a few years ago and the lounge was always busy. I never saw Raoul treat anyone differently, he seemed a little cold but when we introduced ourselves to him he warmed up right away. It was my parents 57th anniversary and he sent them the most beautiful roses. I am just sorry that I never had an opportunity to properly thank him

Sorry, I am off subject. Just wanted to share our experience. We never encountered "snooty" guests only happy cruisers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have experienced Willie's rude behavior in the past and had hoped that he had had an attitude adjustment but such was not the case on our most recent encounter with him on the Brilliance.

Sorry to hear that he hasn't cleaned up his attitude since he was transferred from Freedom where we encountered his same attitude in December of 2012. We've known Willie since he was a Concierge on Radiance and he was always very pleasant and accommodating to all his guests. Don't know what caused the change in attitude.

Do the concierges make a decent salary? I was on the freedom a few years ago and the lounge was always busy. I never saw Raoul treat anyone differently, he seemed a little cold but when we introduced ourselves to him he warmed up right away. It was my parents 57th anniversary and he sent them the most beautiful roses. I am just sorry that I never had an opportunity to properly thank him

Sorry, I am off subject. Just wanted to share our experience. We never encountered "snooty" guests only happy cruisers

Their salaries were cut in half when they became part of Guest Relations.

Edited by cruisenfever

We have also never, ever worn our pins. Heck, I accidentally threw out our D ones and never asked for new ones. The others (the ones we actually received) are in a drawer somewhere. BTW, from what I've heard Pinnacles are asked to wear theirs.

Good morning! I feel it is time to come to the defense of people wearing their pins, again! Wearing the pin is something that is a personal preference, and I, for one, really don't care if you wear them or not. However, I certainly don't take offense if someone chooses to wear their pin.

Everyone is different and it almost seems like a bullying thing to chastise people for wearing them. For me, I wear mine sometimes and other times I don't. It is all about when the mood strikes me. Heck, we are proud of our relationship with RCCL. (My relationship with the cruise line is that I get a really great product and some nice benefits.)

I could care less about the status, since I never say anything unless I wear my pin and someone asks me. Obviously, there are some folks that find it interesting.

As for Concierge attendants making their Suite guests happy, I'm all for it. The truth is, they make me happy too. In all our years of cruising, I have only had one Concierge that really missed the mark. I consider that a win.:D

I never realized some passengers have a problem with people wearing their C&A pins. I usually only wear mine on formal nights and when attending C&A functions. Perhaps I should wear it more often. The main reason Royal has the pins is to enable crew members to readily identify frequent and loyal cruisers. If some passengers have a problem with me wearing mine my reaction is - go back on your meds, or read a book - because I could not care less.

How do we get the pins? We are D+ and have yet to see a pin or a luggage tag.

The pins and luggage tags were mailed to us. It took a few weeks after we turned D+. If it's been a while since you became D+, call C&A and they should be able to send you the D+ package.

The pins and luggage tags were mailed to us. It took a few weeks after we turned D+. If it's been a while since you became D+, call C&A and they should be able to send you the D+ package.

Thank you. I will call as we have been D+ for almost two years and never received anything.

It is quite a stretch to go from two concierges treating non-suite guests rudely to claiming that "a number of concierges" are behaving in a similar manner and an even greater stretch to then claim that this is the result of a corporate policy decision. We have experienced Willie's rude behavior in the past and had hoped that he had had an attitude adjustment but such was not the case on our most recent encounter with him on the Brilliance.

However, based on our experiences with numerous other concierges on various RCI ships, I am confident that rude behavior is definitely the exception and not the rule, and the vast majority of concierges treat all guests with excellent service, without exception.

Anyone who defends the "suites come first" attitude because the lounges were originally meant for suite guests, should realize that it was the company that decided to offer this perk to the highest tiers of C&A membership. It was not something that Diamond, Diamond Plus,(and eventually Pinnacle) demanded. Anyone granted access to the lounges has the right to be treated fairly and equally well as any other guest. As far as the fatalistic attitude expressed by some that non-suite guests will eventually lose access to the lounge, I refuse to adopt such a negative position and will continue to enjoy the perks as long as they are available.

Willie is now in BR's Diamond Lounge not the CL.

Rahul is totally professional and he has been our DL and CL concierge since 2010 and has always been warm and gracious.

When there is a diamond lounge on board why do C&A guests insist on using the concierge lounge staff to arrange things? I have said previously that the Diamond lounge is better set up to serve the needs of non suite guests. If you need ice show tickets they are there ready, the concierge lounge doesn't need them as your gold coloured suite room key allows access to the reserved seating area.

We last cruised as D+ suite guests and selected who we asked for help based on the request. There was a lot of doubling up when it came to perks and extras but there were elements reserved purely for suite guests.

The diamond lounge is a superb creation and in many ways I prefer it to the concierge lounge, the latter being handy for popping into for a quick coffee (assuming the machine works!).

On the subject of Pinnacle members I think Royal Caribbean has a difficult balancing act. On the one hand they publicly thank and praise members using them as examples of loyalty, on the other hand they probably think they are a bit of a pain. Generally speaking they are amongst the lowest revenue guests in terms of cabin choice and on board spend. They are also constantly looking backwards when the company needs to look forward.

No one likes change and many Pinnacle members have been cruising for 3 decades. RC needs to move forward and reflect society whilst reacting to their competitors. Formal nights are one of those areas. Generally Pinnacle guests will be amongst the older segment of a ships roll call, that will have a significant bearing on their views.

Of the pinnacle members I've met many think they own the ship. They feel they should be consulted at every turn no matter what the question. In reality Royal Caribbean and the ships staff make their decisions often based on facts unknown to even Pinnacle guests. I have listened to some very naive and factually incorrect statements from Pinnacle cruisers.

There comes a time when too long on board makes you stale and bitter. We've seen it on longer cruises (more than 2 weeks) where previously happy guests start picking away. You have to spend a very long time on board to attain Pinnacle status, in some cases too long.

I shall get my coat and retire to the safety of my flame proof bunker :)

Henry :)

On the subject of Pinnacle members I think Royal Caribbean has a difficult balancing act. On the one hand they publicly thank and praise members using them as examples of loyalty, on the other hand they probably think they are a bit of a pain. Generally speaking they are amongst the lowest revenue guests in terms of cabin choice and on board spend. They are also constantly looking backwards when the company needs to look forward.

Henry, I would like to know where you got this information and if you can provide us with actual revenue figures that would be great!

So pleased to hear that you have listened to so many factually incorrect statements from P Members, I assume that some of those statements may be as incorrect as your statement regarding them being amongst the lowest revenue guests. We certainly put more than our fair share across a bar counter, spend money in the shops, and use speciality restaurants.

Nor are we only looking backwards, I have 12 future cruises booked with 9 of those on ships yet to be launched. We have no problem with change and you might gather from my other posts that we actually embrace the recent changes being made.

We are also NOT amongst the older segment of roll calls, although being younger does have a bearing on our views, as I imagine your age does on yours.

I do accept that some guests in different age groups, very young or very old can have and effect on the vacation experience of others, in exactly the same way the those in their middle years can have an effect on others that may enjoy the cruise experience for different reasons. Although I am sure that most groups would find your generalisations as offensive, as I do :eek:

Royal have made it very clear in the way that they develop their ships that their target market is across the board for families of all ages to enjoy.

...........................On the subject of Pinnacle members I think Royal Caribbean has a difficult balancing act. On the one hand they publicly thank and praise members using them as examples of loyalty, on the other hand they probably think they are a bit of a pain. Generally speaking they are amongst the lowest revenue guests in terms of cabin choice and on board spend. They are also constantly looking backwards when the company needs to look forward.

No one likes change and many Pinnacle members have been cruising for 3 decades. RC needs to move forward and reflect society whilst reacting to their competitors. Formal nights are one of those areas. Generally Pinnacle guests will be amongst the older segment of a ships roll call, that will have a significant bearing on their views.

Of the pinnacle members I've met many think they own the ship. They feel they should be consulted at every turn no matter what the question. In reality Royal Caribbean and the ships staff make their decisions often based on facts unknown to even Pinnacle guests. I have listened to some very naive and factually incorrect statements from Pinnacle cruisers.

Edited by ChipLondon

Generally speaking they are amongst the lowest revenue guests in terms of cabin choice and on board spend. They are also constantly looking backwards when the company needs to look forward.

You're in your flame proof bunker, so I won't throw much fuel at you. ;) I don't know how true your comment is. The Pinnacles I am most acquainted with, some of who are the very top cruisers, are always in either a JS or full suites. And at night, I always see them at the public bars spending money on drinks...and not the cheap stuff.

Again, I don't know how true this is. Many of the Pinnacles I know don't even eat in the MDR, let alone partake in formal night anymore.

I judge as I find.

When talking to Pinnacle members I constantly hear words along the lines of, "we don't bother doing that any more" when it comes to potential revenue streams for RC. With all the free drinks thrown at you as a Pinnacle member you would physically struggle to be one of the best wet sales customers and I can't think any would see the drinks packages as beneficial.

I'm not saying suite Pinnacle guests don't exist but from my experience most choose from lower down the scale. Indeed this thread was prompted by someone in the C&A programme who clearly wasn't in a qualifying cabin for the Concierge benefit.

When someone uses any service regularly they feel they own part of that service. If you dine at the same restaurant every week, if you are a long standing member of a golf or other social club. The fact is Pinnacle members will make up less the 1% of RC's customers. Over 99% of their revenue comes from elsewhere.

In terms of age demographic, once again I judge as I find. To undertake the required 100 weeks aboard (assuming a standard cabin) would normally be done over a number of years. Even at 4 cruises a year you're talking 25 years. When you've retired obviously it becomes easier to find time, as a working person with a family it is unlikely you will rack up lots of weeks in a year so it is natural the the majority of Pinnacle members will be in the 60 plus age bracket, where as the average age on board will probably be late 20's, early 30's once you take into account children.

We have a few Pinnacles who frequent CC and they were great people. We had the "joy" of meeting one couple that were not, and I have no idea if they do CC. After the short period of time beside them I wanted nothing to do with them.

Just as with life, you meet nice and not so nice people anywhere.

Edited by A&L_Ont