NOS aft cabin 7688 - waste ordors

Just off the NOS and had the coveted aft cabin 7688. Well, it wasn't so coveted last week!! The smell coming from the Waste vent was so strong we could not use the balcony except for a few hours when the wind happened to blow the smell away.

Has anyone ever had the odor problem with this cabin? We have a dilemma - have this same cabin booked for a b2b in Nov/Dec this year and now we don't know if we should keep it or change to a regular balcony cabin. Just wondering if this is a problem with the Navigator that can be fixed. We never noticed the odor on the Voyager or the Mariner.

Please let me know if you have had this cabin or any other aft cabins on the Navigator that reeked of waste smells?

It's not a specific cabin problem...this sort of "odor" issue happens ALL THE TIME on ships! It can move around, and does! It comes from folks putting stuff down the toilets that they aren't supposed to flush....like tissues, tampons, diapers, wipes, etc... Only the ship's toilet paper should be flushed.

And, the design of the sewage plumbing isn't great on ships....

You are unlikely to have the same problem on your next voyage...it can happen anywhere, at any time.

Just off the NOS and had the coveted aft cabin 7688. Well, it wasn't so coveted last week!! The smell coming from the Waste vent was so strong we could not use the balcony except for a few hours when the wind happened to blow the smell away.

Has anyone ever had the odor problem with this cabin? We have a dilemma - have this same cabin booked for a b2b in Nov/Dec this year and now we don't know if we should keep it or change to a regular balcony cabin. Just wondering if this is a problem with the Navigator that can be fixed. We never noticed the odor on the Voyager or the Mariner.

Please let me know if you have had this cabin or any other aft cabins on the Navigator that reeked of waste smells?

We just got off the same cruise and had 7388 - the other aft corner. We could even smell it on our side when in port.

We were also on the week before and had a centre JS on deck 10 and the smell was worse that week - I guess because we were closer to the port side. Our muster point was was the last one back on the port side on deck 4 and during the muster drill there were many people, including me, who were a little green and about to vomit. Most people had their shirts pulled up over their noses. The smell was disgusting to say the least.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's not a specific cabin problem...this sort of "odor" issue happens ALL THE TIME on ships! It can move around, and does! It comes from folks putting stuff down the toilets that they aren't supposed to flush....like tissues, tampons, diapers, wipes, etc... Only the ship's toilet paper should be flushed.

And, the design of the sewage plumbing isn't great on ships....

You are unlikely to have the same problem on your next voyage...it can happen anywhere, at any time.

A "temporary" odor (one that only lasts for an hour or two in a specific location) may be due to the engineers having to open a vacuum line to clear a toilet clog, but a persistent odor over several days in the same location is not likely to be caused by this problem.

The design of the sewage system is actually pretty impressive, it is the use of it by the passengers that isn't so great.

A persistent odor is more likely from a couple of sources:

The "gray water" system (drains that are not toilets, like sinks, showers, and deck drains) have water traps in them just like the "S" or "P" traps under the sinks in your home, to prevent sewer smells from backing up. The A/C can dry out the water in a trap that does not see much water run into it (for instance, the floor drain in a cabin bathroom (not the shower, the one in the dry area), or a deck drain in a pantry), and the smells will back up. The crew pretty much know how to deal with this issue, and will deal with it by pouring a little water down the drain within a day.

The "pulper" system, which is an integrated, ship wide garbage disposal system, recirculates water to the various galleys to carry ground food waste to a central tank where it is stored until the ship is out to sea, and it is either pumped overboard or incinerated. Sometimes the vent from this tank can get pretty rank, and depending on the wind direction and strength, it will get drawn into the A/C intake vents and stink up a whole area.

Sometimes when incinerating food waste, the smell from the incinerator can also get drawn into the A/C vents.

All waste water; black water from toilets, gray water from sinks and showers, galley water, and laundry water is held in tanks until it can be treated by the waste water treatment plant. Again, the vents from these tanks can get drawn into the A/C.

The vents mentioned above tend to run up inside the funnel to the top of the ship, to try to mediate the smell, but sometimes a combination of wind speed and direction, and ship's speed and direction can cause downdrafts to cause these odors.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm not sure I would risk it on a back to back. Maybe you could monitor the roll calls for a little while and see if the problem persists before you make a decision.

I also think you need to contact corporate guest relations about the issue. I have found them to be very responsive when there was a legitimate, serious problem. To me, being unable to use your balcony all week falls into that category.:(

Thank you all for your responses. I don't think we are going to chance it on our next b2b, there only a couple of cabins available for both weeks, so must make a decision fast!!

There was no rhyme or reason to when the odor would exist. It was just off and on, mostly on, the majority of the time. My DH has a very sensitive nose and he couldn't stand it at all. I usually can't smell anything, so would try to use the balcony until it gave me a headache and/or upset stomach. Hated to see that balcony go to waste...LOL.

I love those balconies but don't think I'll ever book one again!! My DH did talk to a maintenance crew person and was told all the Voyager class ships were built this way - the intake vent for the waste vacuum system is located on deck 4 portside aft, in other words, 2 decks below this cabin.

They were replacing the water pipes on our deck the entire week, so don't know it that would have anything to do with the problem. If I knew it was a fixable problem that they are working on, I would keep my cabin, but what if it is a permanent problem?? Decisions, decisions!!

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm not sure I would risk it on a back to back. Maybe you could monitor the roll calls for a little while and see if the problem persists before you make a decision.

I also think you need to contact corporate guest relations about the issue. I have found them to be very responsive when there was a legitimate, serious problem. To me, being unable to use your balcony all week falls into that category.:(

Believe me Cindy, this problem was reported and of course all you get is "we are so sorry", tried to get an answer from anyone to see if it was being worked on or permanent. We did receive a certificate for a percentage off another cruise, but that doesn't help tell me the problem will be fixed.

In 50 cruises we have only had problems twice and both times it has been on the NOS since drydock!

Interesting to hear they were replacing pipes. We had some plumbing problems on the Navigator in April...two mornings with no flush at all, and many more times with a serious delay of 5-30 minutes. Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sitting on a vacuum system toilet when it finally decided to do its thing!:eek:

They blamed the problem on someone flushing something they shouldn't have, but it was so persistent that I wondered. Maintenance seemed to be living on our section of Deck 10.:rolleyes:

Cindy, just called Corp Guest relations as you suggested. They are looking into the problem to see if it is reoccurring or maybe something that was going on this cruise. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I did book the Liberty for 11/29/15 & 12/06/15.

Carla

Edited by golfpccc

Cindy, just called Corp Guest relations as you suggested. They are looking into the problem to see if it is reoccurring or maybe something that was going on this cruise. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I did book the Liberty for 11/29/15 & 12/06/15.

Carla

I'm sure they will get back to you. I found the person I spoke with in that office to be very competent and responsive!

Yay! I wonder if I could convince Jim to do a B2B?:D

Interesting to hear they were replacing pipes. We had some plumbing problems on the Navigator in April...two mornings with no flush at all, and many more times with a serious delay of 5-30 minutes. Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sitting on a vacuum system toilet when it finally decided to do its thing!:eek:

They blamed the problem on someone flushing something they shouldn't have, but it was so persistent that I wondered. Maintenance seemed to be living on our section of Deck 10.:rolleyes:

While it may be noisy, there really isn't any problem with sitting on the throne when the flush actuates. It also won't do it on its own, you have to have pushed the button. If there is no vacuum at the time you push the button to flush, nothing will happen, but the timing mechanism is triggered so that once vacuum is restored the flush mechanism will activate.

It sounds more like they were replacing the hot and cold water pipes, not the black water toilet lines. Depending on the material (some still use copper pipe, but most use plastic), this can deteriorate over time due to the chlorine in the water, so leaks happen, and after a while it just makes sense to renew whole sections than to just keep putting another fitting where the leak was.

I've had a time when a guest flushed her bikini bottom down the hopper, and it took 3 days to roto-root that bad boy out. About 10 guest cabins were affected (no toilets) for that time. Most times we can get a clog out quickly, but sometimes a towel (yes, a hand towel) will get stuck in a bend and it takes a while to chew through it enough to get it moving back down the pipe.

We've seen it all when it comes to the toilet system: underwear, dinner napkins, towels, face cloths, paper towels, crew uniforms (disgruntled about being fired), crack pipes, coke spoons, and even 9mm ammunition.

I've had a time when a guest flushed her bikini bottom down the hopper, and it took 3 days to roto-root that bad boy out. About 10 guest cabins were affected (no toilets) for that time. Most times we can get a clog out quickly, but sometimes a towel (yes, a hand towel) will get stuck in a bend and it takes a while to chew through it enough to get it moving back down the pipe.

We've seen it all when it comes to the toilet system: underwear, dinner napkins, towels, face cloths, paper towels, crew uniforms (disgruntled about being fired), crack pipes, coke spoons, and even 9mm ammunition.

Good grief! What part of "toilet paper only" do people not understand?

OH.....I hope this is only a "passing" problem..:p We'll be in this cabin in a few weeks and I was/am really looking forward to our first corner aft.

Please report back after your cruise. Very interested in knowing if you have the same problem. The balcony is really awesome if there is no odor, however, after dry dock all the lounge chairs and large table were removed. You only have 2 old straight back chairs and a small table. You have to ask your cabin steward for lounge chairs and he has to get them from the pool and return them at the end of the cruise. The cabin isn't the greatest, it is pretty small, the drawers in vanity kept coming off the runners, a shelf was missing in bathroom cabinet and the sink is chipped and new carpet has some bad stains. Oh, and beware of the lock on the sliding door - we got locked out on the balcony one night! Fortunately, my DH is a Mr. Fix It and he managed to use the leg on his eye glasses to slip between the doors and push the lock open. This is the little button lock, not the door handle, guess it was loose and locked on its own when we closed the door.

All this being said, I really hope you don't experience the waste odor because the corner aft is awesome. If you do experience the odor, report it to your cabin steward and most importantly, Guest Services.

I'm sure they will get back to you. I found the person I spoke with in that office to be very competent and responsive!

Yay! I wonder if I could convince Jim to do a B2B?:D

I spoke with Paula and she was very nice. She is going to check into the maintenance logs for the past 2 months and said she will get back to me In a couple of days. The big problem is there aren't any good cabins left that are available both weeks, we prefer not to have to move.

B2b's are great!!!

Think they replaced all the water pipes on deck 7 port side the 2 weeks we were on the ship. They would remove the ceiling panels in the hallway and drain the pipes. Saw them with large gray pvc pipes about 8" diameter.

We also had the delayed flushing in both cabins several times.

We have sailed in 7688 numerous times from 7 day cruises to 30 day and never had an odor problem (Voyager, Mariner & Navigator)

I would assume this was an unusual occurrence due to plumbing issues.

I'm with Cindy - what part of toilet paper only do you not understand!

This has always been our favorite cabin, especially on TA's as one can enjoy the balcony in any kind of weather.

Would not hesitate to book again though we are also spoiled with a JS on hump:D

We have sailed in 7688 numerous times from 7 day cruises to 30 day and never had an odor problem (Voyager, Mariner & Navigator)

I would assume this was an unusual occurrence due to plumbing issues.

I'm with Cindy - what part of toilet paper only do you not understand!

This has always been our favorite cabin, especially on TA's as one can enjoy the balcony in any kind of weather.

Would not hesitate to book again though we are also spoiled with a JS on hump:D

Thanks for your comments regarding 7688! Sure hope you are correct in that it is a plumbing problem and hopefully something that is being worked on.

Carla

We noticed this in late July from NOS 7688. As described, it would come and go from day to day. Sounds like it has worsened. I never thought it was sewage, it smelled more like garbage or incineration to me...but who knows.

It was not present Nov 2013 (pre refurb) in same cabin.

I would not take the word of anyone on the sales line or Miami customer service with regards to actual onboard maintenance activity. Those are worlds apart.

Thanks for your comments regarding 7688! Sure hope you are correct in that it is a plumbing problem and hopefully something that is being worked on.

Carla

Your posts caught my attention because my daughter and son-in-law are on the NOS right now, in cabin 6666, and because I am pet sitting for them in College Station, where I see you live too. I will let you know if they report any odors.

We had a bad odor on Legend during our 13 day Baltic cruise. The smell was not on the aft, but once you got towards the center of the ship, it would hit you. You really noticed it once you got back to the ship after an excursion. Everyone had a different excuse. It was still the best cruise we've ever taken!

:eek:

Oh, oh, I have this cabin in Adventure, I hope there's not a problem because I'm pretty excited about that balcony!

I just had a funny experience in Istanbul last week. You pay to get into the public toilets and there are squat toilets (a hole in the floor) and one regular toilet. The attendant always directs tourists to the toilet, figuring they will be horrified by the squat (I don't really care, but can't argue with an old woman who I don't share a language with.) You can't even leave TP in the toilets there, and I'm well aware of that due to traveling, camping and boating for many years. So when I got into the toilet, I noticed several tourists ahead of me obviously didn't understand that and the bowl was full of paper. After I finished the attendant saw it and started insisting I should tip her (since she was going have to scoop it all out). I tried pantomiming that I understood paper goes into the basket, not the toilet, but she wasn't buying it and I had to tip her another lira before I left to pay for some other rube tourists who didn't know better:rolleyes:

Hopefully, we won't have any smells or poor communication on Adventure! LOL!

Your posts caught my attention because my daughter and son-in-law are on the NOS right now, in cabin 6666, and because I am pet sitting for them in College Station, where I see you live too. I will let you know if they report any odors.

Would you be in touch with your daughter and SIL before the end of the cruise? If so, would they be willing to call cabin 7688 and ask the current occupants if there is an odor problem? Anyone in that cabin knows what a great cabin it is and I'm sure they'd be willing to share this information with future occupants.

We've been in that Deck 7 corner aft on the Navigator for two weeks running and our children were in the other corner, and none of us had any trouble whatsoever. I'm so sorry you've been smelling what you shouldn't, but (luckily) your experience is not indication of a chronic, ongoing problem. I wish people would be more mindful of what they flush down the toilets. It's so inconsiderate and inconveniences so many. :(