Is a tablet a good option for internet use onboard?

Kinkacruiser

was nice to have everything accessible on my fingertips, as I carry my iPhone with me at all times as a watch at least for time.

many times on the CB we we'd forget the patter, and on the phone it listed everything by event and time, afterwards we just left the patter in the room.

We bring our Kindle Fire and Skype the Grandkids and check the email. Connection is better very early in the am or late in pm. Also worked better while in port from our balcony, but still got connection while at sea. Minutes eat up quickly, so we usually check emails and only answer if needed. Be sure you log out, once we didn't do it right and all our minutes were gone. The ships internet officer straightened it out for us :)

We have only used our Kindle on the Royal, Emerald and Golden so far. Before that we used our cell phone to call from port.

Thanks, Brandee.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just don't sit on it:D. Have a great cruise.....:)

Bob

Not a problem. I have never put a device in my back pocket. Sorry you won't be on the cruise. Hope everything is going well and that Holly is recovering.

When we are using the ship's computers, there are a few of our favorite sites that cannot be opened. Is this the case for tablets, etc ?

Which sites, for example?

POGO games...when we get back we have to catch up on the ones we missed.

Can you use an iPad to FaceTime, or is that impractical based on ship's Internet speed or bandwidth.

Thanks for any info.

Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have used Facetime several times, on both the Ipad and iphone, without any problem.:D

Both devices have to connect to iCloud for the photo stream to be updated, either at the same time or one after the other. But if you take a lot of photos, this will take a long time.

You can also transfer photos directly from the iPhone to the iPad using AirDrop, if both devices and their software are recent enough.

The problem I'm anticipating with AirDrop is that I don't think I can log in on two devices at the same time to get photos from one iDevice to another.

The problem I'm anticipating with AirDrop is that I don't think I can log in on two devices at the same time to get photos from one iDevice to another.
You don't need to log in to anything to use AirDrop. You turn on AirDrop in the Control Center (swipe up at bottom of screen) to make the device discoverable, and that's it, nearby devices should be able to send files to it. Wifi and Bluetooth need to be turned on, but you don't need to be connected to a wifi network.

You don't need to log in to anything to use AirDrop. You turn on AirDrop in the Control Center (swipe up at bottom of screen) to make the device discoverable, and that's it, nearby devices should be able to send files to it. Wifi and Bluetooth need to be turned on, but you don't need to be connected to a wifi network.

That's very helpful, thank you. I thought both devices had to be logged in to wifi.

When we are using the ship's computers, there are a few of our favorite sites that cannot be opened. Is this the case for tablets, etc ?

Which sites, for example?

POGO games...when we get back we have to catch up on the ones we missed.

Using the ship's computers certain files and executable programs are blocked to prevent spread of computer viruses. I suspect your Pogo games fall into this category.

However, if you have a personal device this broadens the possibility of downloadable items such as email attachments.

I suspect (and hope) that streaming applications which consume an inordinate amount of uplink bandwidth are blocked. This might include programs with video content (Skype, etc.).