when's last time the Fantasy had a refurb/drydock?

David148

The Carnival Fantasy was last refurbished in 2013, with the next scheduled for 12/10/15-12/23/15.

The upgrades you are thinking of for the Carnival Fantasy were referred to as "Evolutions of Fun." They were completed during a 35 day dry dock in Fall 2008.

http://carnival-news.com/2008/01/28/carnival-fantasy-to-undergo-full-%E2%80%98evolutions-of-fun%E2%80%99-upgrades-this-fall/

Edited by Disconnections

Ok thanks. So what was done in 2013? What's the current condition of the ship from recent cruisers?

Goccl.com shows all of Fantasy's past refurbishments and what was accomplished during each one. The next drydock for Fantasy is scheduled for December 2015.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/the_fleet/FA_FactSheet.htm

I wonder if the issues go back to the fact that these ships were designed in the late 1980's when ships were smaller (btw, 70000gt was a large ship for that era). They were designed at a time when balconies were simply a luxury for suites, and passengers weren't used to all of the bells, whistles, and gimmicks that are so common today. Carnival likely built so many Fantasy class ships to keep their per-unit cost a bit lower, as much of the engineering of the later Fantasy class ships were likely simply modified from the original plans, again, keeping engineering costs down somewhat. Unfortunately, the Fantasy class ships were still being built as newer, larger ships were in the development stages, and were outclassed soon after the final ship was sailing. That being said, as other major players have sold off their older and smaller ships, Carnival's most abundant workhorses keep steaming on, with likely no plans for replacement in the near future.

Just because Carnival's older ships don't have all of the bells and whistles of the newer competitors, doesn't mean that they aren't viable players today. I can see three scenarios that might push Carnival to replace them, though. One, maintenance and repair costs that make the ship unprofitable. Two, changing SOLAS, USCG, and other regulatory agency standards that may not be economical to implement. Third, if Carnival begins losing too much market share due to their ships being outdated, they may be forced to retire them from the fleet. As for the third scenario here, this is one reason why the Fantasy class ships have been having balconies added, water slides, etc.--basically to remain a bit more competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wonder if the issues go back to the fact that these ships were designed in the late 1980's when ships were smaller (btw, 70000gt was a large ship for that era). They were designed at a time when balconies were simply a luxury for suites, and passengers weren't used to all of the bells, whistles, and gimmicks that are so common today. Carnival likely built so many Fantasy class ships to keep their per-unit cost a bit lower, as much of the engineering of the later Fantasy class ships were likely simply modified from the original plans, again, keeping engineering costs down somewhat. Unfortunately, the Fantasy class ships were still being built as newer, larger ships were in the development stages, and were outclassed soon after the final ship was sailing. That being said, as other major players have sold off their older and smaller ships, Carnival's most abundant workhorses keep steaming on, with likely no plans for replacement in the near future.

Just because Carnival's older ships don't have all of the bells and whistles of the newer competitors, doesn't mean that they aren't viable players today. I can see three scenarios that might push Carnival to replace them, though. One, maintenance and repair costs that make the ship unprofitable. Two, changing SOLAS, USCG, and other regulatory agency standards that may not be economical to implement. Third, if Carnival begins losing too much market share due to their ships being outdated, they may be forced to retire them from the fleet. As for the third scenario here, this is one reason why the Fantasy class ships have been having balconies added, water slides, etc.--basically to remain a bit more competitive.

The maintenance and repair costs for the ship's equipment are an ongoing and continual cost, with equipment being essentially renewed every 5 years (complete overhauls). Since the Fantasy was built in '90, she is approaching her 5th "special survey" period (25 years), and the classification societies look in much more depth at things like hull and structure corrosion after the 3rd special, and this is why many lines sell their older ships to lines with different cruising demographics and profit margins.

Please note that the USCG has no regulatory jurisdiction over Carnival ships. The USCG can inspect to see whether the ship meets SOLAS requirements, but cannot enforce any more stringent USCG requirements on a foreign vessel, nor can it make any requirements for foreign ships to follow.

Edited by chengkp75

Don't forget that the Fantasy class ships are able to sail from ports that can't handle the larger ships.

Ok thanks. So what was done in 2013? What's the current condition of the ship from recent cruisers?

We will be doing our third cruise on the Fantasy in February; our eighth on a Fantasy Class ship. We love that class. They are more intimate and appear to be less crowded. The Fantasy has been kept in great condition for her age. Wish I could say the same for me :p

The Fantasy Class ships can sail from ports that are in the mouth of rivers. That being said, if you look at the bookings for the sailing on the Fantasy, you will see she books faster than some of the other ships. I think this is because so many people prefer to drive to port for embarkation and Charleston is a port within a reasonable driving distance for most mid-Atlantic states.

Edited by scooterpopsnana

Fantasy class ships offer great vacation value. I can see how some people prefer the bigger newer ships but for a quick getaway at a great price, Fantasy class ships are perfect.

I agree. We did the bigger ships and came back to the Fantasy Class. We like the intimacy of the smaller ships.

The Fantasy Class ships can sail from ports that are in the mouth of rivers. That being said, if you look at the bookings for the sailing on the Fantasy, you will see she books faster than some of the other ships. I think this is because so many people prefer to drive to port for embarkation and Charleston is a port within a reasonable driving distance for most mid-Atlantic states.

This is why I booked this cruise. It's close to home. As far as the ship? I dunno .. I did the Fascination and it was fine but we ad a large group with us. Honestly the Fantasy class ships are the ugliest ships from the outside that I've ever seen. I do prefer larger ships but again this cruise is close to home and the Fascination was in no way a turn off to me. Would love for carnival to put a bigger newer ship in charleston.

That's right... don't discount the many of us that prefer the Fantasy class ships for all the reasons mentioned. Hell, I even like the Holiday class ships and would sail them again in a heartbeat if they were still here in the states. There's something to be said for smaller, intimate ships without all the whiz-bang gimmicks the new ships carry.

As much as I like the size of fantasy class ships, our 11/13 cruise on Fantasy left me a bit sad. Really dirty windows, broken latches on ladies restroom stalls, etc.

I loved the Paradise and liked Fascination a lot.

I may sail eventually Fantasy again in the future but mainly because it's so close to my home.

The maintenance and repair costs for the ship's equipment are an ongoing and continual cost, with equipment being essentially renewed every 5 years (complete overhauls). Since the Fantasy was built in '90, she is approaching her 5th "special survey" period (25 years), and the classification societies look in much more depth at things like hull and structure corrosion after the 3rd special, and this is why many lines sell their older ships to lines with different cruising demographics and profit margins.

Please note that the USCG has no regulatory jurisdiction over Carnival ships. The USCG can inspect to see whether the ship meets SOLAS requirements, but cannot enforce any more stringent USCG requirements on a foreign vessel, nor can it make any requirements for foreign ships to follow.

Thanks for the clarification on the USCG. I wasn't sure quite how much authority they had over foreign flagged vessels, though I thought that the vessels still had to meet various USCG requirements, which may or may not correlate to SOLAS requirements. It's great having you around, as you have so much detailed knowledge to share!

Thanks for the clarification on the USCG. I wasn't sure quite how much authority they had over foreign flagged vessels, though I thought that the vessels still had to meet various USCG requirements, which may or may not correlate to SOLAS requirements. It's great having you around, as you have so much detailed knowledge to share!

USCG regulations tend to be more stringent than SOLAS, which is why the US was one of the last countries to sign on to SOLAS. Every piece of safety or lifesaving equipment on a US flag vessel has to have a USCG approval (with the appropriate testing) in addition to SOLAS approval, which means that every fire axe and hose nozzle costs more than the equivalent item on a foreign ship. The USCG inspections of cruise ships are "port state" inspections, meaning that the country where a foreign ship is making a port call can inspect to ensure the ship is meeting SOLAS and MARPOL requirements. The only country that can make regulatory requirements on a ship that exceed SOLAS is the "flag state" or country of registry (Panama or Bahamas for most cruise ships). Even when the Panamanian Maritime Authority called on the USCG to be the lead investigative agency for the Carnival Splendor fire, the USCG could only make "recommendations" to Panama and the IMO about improving inspections, testing, and training.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Fantasy. We have been on her ,in 28 days, 3 times. We love her so much that we have booked already for November 2015. We were on the Sunshine in June and much prefer the Fantasy.

November 5th? Were on the same one if so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app