Wearing denim skirts

I'll be curious to see what others have to say about this. I have never done so for myself, but have been tempted to allow my daughter (who was 12 on our last cruise) to wear a denim skirt that was nice (no pre-sale rips or lack-of-hemming fringes)for casual nights.

Next up: Diamond Princess 11/20/04!

Many people show up the first night in very casual wear. You don't always have your luggage by the time dinner is served. I have seen people show up in jeans on that first night.

Anyway, I would allow my daughter to wear the denim skirt.

On my last cruise I wore a short, sleeveless denim dress to the pier. I kept it on for dinner since my luggage had not arrived. I did not feel out of place with it on and did not receive any odd "looks."

IMHO, denim is never appropriate for the dining room in the evening, but that is a personal choice.

Check on the website of the cruiselines and see what they "suggest" or "require" for evening attire. Some will outright say no denim/jean material, others will hedge a bit and, while they don't specifically exclude denim, they also don't include it.

In the end, most people are going to wear what they want and will be seated along with everyone else until the cruiselines enforce their own dress codes.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I have 2 denim skirts and they can be dressed up fairly easily. I'm planning on taking them along with the appropriate acoutrements. Besides, I'm really cute in them and they're comfy. I would never wear them on formal nights or informal nights. Only for he casual occasions.

Jessi

First Cruise - RCI's Legend thru Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I would generally vote no for denium in the dining room, but I guess for the first or last night, if you dress it up nice, that would be ok.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Majesty of the Seas 11/95

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99

Grandeur of the Seas 11/00

Grandeur of the Seas 06/01

Grandeur of the Seas 02/02

Navigator of the Seas 12/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

Grandeur of the Seas 05/04

Navigator of the Seas 11/04

I WORE JEAN SKIRTS THE WHOLE TIME I WAS ON A CRUISE A FEW YEARS AGO. NO ONE EVER STOPPED ME. I GUESS BECAUSE I ALWAYS HAD ON NICE SANDLES AND A NICE TOP. SO I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON WHAT U WEAR IT WITH

hiicon_smile.gif this topic is so controversial....I am one of those folks who doesn't even bring anything in denim with me.

There are so many other choices I have icon_biggrin.gif...knits, linen, cotton, silk....I leave my denim at home. Those are the natural fibers, and they make some wonderful blends too..might be a poly but its a good poly icon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

NYER,

People often don't have their luggage by dinner time? Huh?

Most ships board betwen about 1:00 - 4:00 and dinner is about 8:00. I would think that's plenty of time. No?

We're going on our first Princess cruise in June and it's a big ship.(I've only been on smaller ships) Is Princess one of the lines that might not have their act together in terms of luggage delivery? Think I should make sure we carry on at least one bag with clothes for the first night?

Jane

Hi Jane, I have always had my luggage in time BUT...I just got into the habit of putting my first night dinner clothing in my carry on.

Just "In Case"....

So far so good though icon_biggrin.gif. I end up unpacking the carry on right away, and then find lunch and a drink...and go exploring!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

While most lines seem to have their act together on the luggage, you can't count on it. The safe bet is to do as Lois suggested then you don't have to worry.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Also, some ships have early seating that is scheduled for about 5:45 or 6:00 pm. If you board late on a really big ship, your checked luggage might not arrive in time to change before early seating.

It's always a good idea to have a change of clothing in your carry-on, particularly if you are flying to your embarkation port on sailing day. Airlines have been known to lose or delay luggage and the contents of your carry-on (plus what you are wearing) could be your entire "wardrobe" until your suitcases catch up with the ship--usually at the first port of call.

Linda

CruiseDiva

Jane...on my last cruise my DIL didn't have her luggage until after dinner. The rest of us had our luggage right away, but hers went to the wrong floor so it took them a long time to get it to her. (We had early seating on that cruise, so it was probably about 9 when she got her bags.)

Gosh - I really don't want to dress in the same clothes that I wear to work. Then I'd feel like I was at work!! I think I look great in my jeans as well, but beside being hot, I just don't think they look "cruisy" to me. This probably sounds silly, but I just have this image in my head of people in crisp cool outfits, and that's how I want to dress. icon_smile.gif

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I think folks get too hung up on "what to wear" (wearers and wearees)...Just enjoy your cruise !!!!

Celebrity Galaxy Dec '04

RCI Rhapsody of the Seas Apr '04

RCI Navigator of the Seas Nov '03

Celebrity Summit Nov '02

Celebrity Zenith Nov '00

Jane we always opt for early seating dinner and this varies in time from 5:30p.m. to around 6:15p.m. Normally we have our luggage though-only once we did not but it is stated by most lines that they will accept jeans and shorts the first night. Now I always like to be dressed a little nicer then that but I am not going to blast anyone who doesn't-since this is allowed. I have seen though much worse then jeans or shorts the first night-my last cruise was a group of people who not only not bothered to change from their excursion that day for formal night but did not even bother to brush their hair and looked sweaty and dirty. I felt for sure the matr'd should have refused them admittance.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

Archived