Last time I book early with Celebrity

mickey89

Some will say that booking early you get choice, but at what price!

My cruise 3 weeks after final payment has dropped by $1000 and I feel pig-sick.

Is there anything one can do ?

Never book at ANY price unless you are happy with THAT price, OR...

...never book before final payment. ;)

Just got off the 23 night Century transpacific from San Francisco to Sydney.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for a guy who paid 8,000 POUNDS for the same trip I paid 800 DOLLARS. :rolleyes:

I couldn't help but feel sorry for a guy who paid 8,000 POUNDS for the same trip I paid 800 DOLLARS. :rolleyes:

If you're happy in steerage, that's what can happen. Some folks like living large and can afford it. Wish I were one of them

Never book at ANY price unless you are happy with THAT price, OR...

...never book before final payment. ;)

Just got off the 23 night Century transpacific from San Francisco to Sydney.

It really does depend on which sailing you're taking and the time of year. Our Indy sailing later this month has been sold out for weeks, so if you'd left it too late you'd never have got a cabin. Main reason for this, I believe, is it's sailing from the UK during the school holidays - supply and demand.

Usually always better pricing if you can avoid the main holiday periods - if only we could :(.

• 3 weeks later...

This was wierd--there was a 2 day promotion Bermuda ALL in- and it did say "New Bookings only"--- well, even though when I tried for price drop on the Reflection a couple of years ago, and WAS refused and it was only 2 weeks after I paid deposit-GRR. This time, I fully expected to be turned down. But I figured what the heck as some people insisted that they had no trouble before final payment getting cheaper rates. So ok, I called up customer service and I said, "gee, I just figured out that if you rebook to this promotion, I would save some money. To my surprise, no hastle, it was changed in 2 minutes. I then went on Celebrity site and saw that this promotion saved dh and myself $600--- Also, I checked to see what the cheapest rate for this cabin was a year earlier and promotion matched that same rate.

I just don't get the inconsistency with price drops on Celebrity. So here is my conclusion with them: If you aren't picky with cabin choice and can book last minute-- then you probobly do get the best "deals"-- If you are picky, and I am-- put down deposit of what you are willing to pay to hold the cabin that you want, keep watching for price drops, and if you are lucky you will get it. I was prepared for the price I origionally paid for the cabin I wanted and was happily surprised that I ended up getting the cheapest rate for it, after all.

Edited by Jetswdo

If you have sailed with Celebrity before call, call them and ask about the price going down. I know on Princess if you have sailed with them before they will refund the difference. We have done this several times. One time they offered the discount to our first time cruising friends, and I asked for an upgrade instead. They gave them an upgrade. It never hurts to ask. I don't know Celebrity's policy as we have our first cruise with them in early February.

Some will say that booking early you get choice, but at what price!

My cruise 3 weeks after final payment has dropped by $1000 and I feel pig-sick.

Is there anything one can do ?

In all the cruises I have booked since they don't give you money back, it is rare that the price goes down after I book. I already have Silhouette booked for Dec 15 and the price has not moved a bit. If it does, I will take advantage of upgrading it possible

I always book our week cruises early to get the cabins I want. Typically the price only goes up, not down. Sorry your did not work that way

In all the cruises I have booked since they don't give you money back, it is rare that the price goes down after I book. I already have Silhouette booked for Dec 15 and the price has not moved a bit. If it does, I will take advantage of upgrading it possible

I always book our week cruises early to get the cabins I want. Typically the price only goes up, not down. Sorry your did not work that way

I booked a Sky Suite on the Solstice repositioning cruise in Sept 15 in August this year and in that relatively short time the price (not including air fares) has risen by about £1,200 depending which TA you go to to do a ghost booking. The higher grade cabin you go for the more likely you need to book early in order to get the lowest price. ;)

Pricing can vary week to week.

The Dec 7 Silhouette cruise has had some very nice price drops.

I was just checking out the A1 category, which was over $1300 at one time, and is now priced at $899.

Those who are flexible and not locked into any one specific cruise or date often pick up some very good deals if they are patient and willing to wait.

Our neighbor just booked 2 Caribbean cruises back-to-back for only a little more than what the same stateroom would have cost for only one cruise if he had booked it earlier.

But those who are locked into sailing during high demand holiday times, or only in a specific cabin, don't have that kind of flexibility.