Last time I book early with Celebrity

mickey89

I actually had a great travel agent. We kept an eye on price drops and we're able to upgrade our cabin a couple of times before sailing to Bermuda this past July. We went from balcony to concierge to aqua on deck 9 and eventually ended up with an aft cabin on deck 11!
No such luck for our next sailing. We are booked on the Infinity in March through South America and the Panama Canal and have not been able to do anything. Oh well....that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm just thrilled to be cruising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

I am fascinated by the number of people addressing how "sold out" ships suddenly have cabins available after final payment or even just prior to embarkation date. I understand some percentage of travelers might have a sudden problem which causes them to cancel, but how many people book early in hopes of a price drop somewhere along the line and then cancel just before final payment when the hoped for drop hasn't occurred? Edited by BosoxI

[quote name='need2bespoiled']

I wonder if the OP will come back and participate or if this was a whine and run post ?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not whining Luv, just seeking any positive advice from others more experienced. Some posters have given some good advice, others less so. My T/A has contacted Celebrity and awaiting their response which maybe confidential and conditional.

Anyway I would like to thank those who suggested that options are available albeit limited. Edited by mickey89

[quote name='BosoxI']I am fascinated by the number of people addressing how "sold out" ships suddenly have cabins available after final payment or even just prior to embarkation date. I understand some percentage of travelers might have a sudden problem which causes them to cancel, but how many people book early in hopes of a price drop somewhere along the line and then cancel just before final payment when the hoped for drop hasn't occurred?[/QUOTE]

It's possible that some of the big 'dis counters' had blocked rooms for their 'groups ' & released after final payment date came. I know that's exactly what happened on our SYD-AUK B2B Last year (which we booked very early for and saved a huge bundle on a Celeb Suite - best cabin we ever had! :)

[quote name='mickey89']I'm not whining Luv, just seeking any positive advice from others more experienced. Some posters have given some good advice, others less so. My T/A has contacted Celebrity and awaiting their response which maybe confidential and conditional.

Anyway I would like to thank those who suggested that options are available albeit limited.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean you expect Celebrity to possibly give you terms that would be confidential and conditional? A non disclosure agreement maybe?

I book when ever I find a price I like. Sometimes it's nine months out, sometimes it's three months out, and sometimes it's after final payment.

Our favorite cruises are the ones that include a Med cruise and the transatlantic that goes with it. Tuesday we are going on the 13 day Med cruise followed by the transatlantic, on the Equinox. This is the third time we've done a similar itenerary. Contrary to another poster, I've found European cruises have risen dramatically. I paid about $400 p.p. more for a 2D balcony than I did for a Conceiarge balcony two years ago. It was more than I wanted to pay, but my wife really wanted to do it. I checked this cruise at least three times a week, since January, and it never went down, only up. I would liked to have gotten a price reduction, or the chance to upgrade cabins, but it never happened. Alls good. The transatlantic went down after final payment and I was able to upgrade from a B2 balcony, to a conceiarge balcony for no extra payment.

My point is, there is no set times to book a cruise to get the best deals. There is some luck involved. You, and only you, can determine what is a good deal for you. When you find it, book it, and let the chips fall where they may.

Do you mean you expect Celebrity to possibly give you terms that would be confidential and conditional? A non disclosure agreement maybe?

I did say MAYBE and I never said that 'I expected it'.

Don't you believe that could happen - are they any different to RCL, and I can assure they have done exactly that !

We booked our Aug 2015 Alaska in May 2014 (16 months out). Since then the price has risen $600 per person - I probably would not have booked at this price.

On the flip side, booked December 2014 sailing in July 2014 (6 months out) and since then prices dropped enough BEFORE final payment that I was able to upgrade from C1 to S1 for only $50 each and keep all promos.

There is no crystal ball for cruise pricing...

I did say MAYBE and I never said that 'I expected it'.

Don't you believe that could happen - are they any different to RCL, and I can assure they have done exactly that !

I also used wiggle words of possibly maybe. No, I have never sailed in rci, nor has anyone ever offered me that. But good to know it's possible.

Bbeltmom Awesome! Your price checking paid off.

It's possible that some of the big 'dis counters' had blocked rooms for their 'groups ' & released after final payment date came. I know that's exactly what happened on our SYD-AUK B2B Last year (which we booked very early for and saved a huge bundle on a Celeb Suite - best cabin we ever had! :)

Good point which I had considered but didn't address. Thanks for the reminder. But I'm still curious if people book early and then drop the cruise if the price doesn't suit at final payment.

bosox1 I have not done that, and wish I had been more brazen to do so. Last year due to a family members illness I needed to sail less days and moved to a 10 rather than 14 day cruise. I did it at final payment and an added benefit of doing so was I picked up and angled AQ a balcony that was going for, without the extra balcony space 3000 on the 14 day.

The biggest issue is leaving the roll call. And somehow I am reluctant.

On another thread some while back, I read that people booked multiple ships and sailing and went with the one that looked the best. Shocked actually this is allowed, but it's a reasonable strategy if it is.

About the only things I like better about Princess, is that you can keep getting the cheapest price that is offered for the cabin until final payment. I rebooked the same cabin 5 times last year without any problems at all, and Princess was very nice about it. If you are going on a popular cruise, and are very picky with cabin choice (which I am) then if the price at booking is agreeable to you with Celebrity, book it and don't look back. But if you are not picky with cabin choice then it does not pay to book ahead with Celebrity. You can get excellent deals with Celebrity 2-3 months before the sailing you want. But you should check a few times a week to see how well the cruise is selling. Good luck.

About the only things I like better about Princess, is that you can keep getting the cheapest price that is offered for the cabin until final payment. I rebooked the same cabin 5 times last year without any problems at all, and Princess was very nice about it. If you are going on a popular cruise, and are very picky with cabin choice (which I am) then if the price at booking is agreeable to you with Celebrity, book it and don't look back. But if you are not picky with cabin choice then it does not pay to book ahead with Celebrity. You can get excellent deals with Celebrity 2-3 months before the sailing you want. But you should check a few times a week to see how well the cruise is selling. Good luck.

I have never had a problem getting a price drop with Celebrity when it was before final payment.

Some will say that booking early you get choice, but at what price!

My cruise 3 weeks after final payment has dropped by $1000 and I feel pig-sick.

Is there anything one can do ?

This stinks..:mad:

About the only things I like better about Princess, is that you can keep getting the cheapest price that is offered for the cabin until final payment. . Good luck.

I have never had a problem getting a price drop with Celebrity when it was before final payment.

The OP said, "My cruise 3 weeks after final payment"

Everyone knows you can get it handled before final.

The OP said, "My cruise 3 weeks after final payment"

Everyone knows you can get it handled before final.

I'm aware of what the OP wrote; however, my post that you quoted wasn't in response to the OP! It was in response to the person who suggested only Princess allows price drops before final payment!

Edited by lovemylab

Wow, I have really hit a nerve with this post. Affraid to make further comment as the Administrators don't like adverse critisism.

That's because you came across Whiney. We all book cruises early as a lot of us have to consider airline prices also. Prices frequently drop after final payment and sometimes they go up. Conversely, air fares almost always go up the closer you get.

Nothing to get "sick" over as it is a bit melodramatic.

Celebrity is very difficult to cancel and rebook the same cabin. I speak from experience, thank you. I had booked the Reflection. Two weeks later the price dropped around 200pp. I then asked to please rebook at the cheaper price. They refused and I was told, that my name is in the computer for that sailing, and that even if I cancel and then try to rebook, I won't get the new promotional rate. I hung up and called back three times.Was told the same thing each time.

Now I will concede that for my cruise, it said "for new bookings only"----

But I found that this is the case for many Celebrity cruises. So for those of you who contradicted me with your posts---I DO KNOW what I am talking about.

If you WERE able to get a refund without a hasstle, more power to you.

That's because you came across Whiney. We all book cruises early as a lot of us have to consider airline prices also. Prices frequently drop after final payment and sometimes they go up. Conversely, air fares almost always go up the closer you get.

Nothing to get "sick" over as it is a bit melodramatic.

............figure of speech ,darling ! now back to my low pitched whining................

About the only things I like better about Princess, is that you can keep getting the cheapest price that is offered for the cabin until final payment. I rebooked the same cabin 5 times last year without any problems at all, and Princess was very nice about it.

Celebrity is very difficult to cancel and rebook the same cabin. I speak from experience, thank you. I had booked the Reflection. Two weeks later the price dropped around 200pp. I then asked to please rebook at the cheaper price. They refused and I was told, that my name is in the computer for that sailing, and that even if I cancel and then try to rebook, I won't get the new promotional rate. I hung up and called back three times.Was told the same thing each time.

Now I will concede that for my cruise, it said "for new bookings only"----

But I found that this is the case for many Celebrity cruises. So for those of you who contradicted me with your posts---I DO KNOW what I am talking about.

If you WERE able to get a refund without a hasstle, more power to you.

On Celebrity I have never had problems being given a price drop if it happens BEFORE final payment. Absolutely nothing different than with Princess. I don't even have to play the rebooking games, either. When I see a price drop has occurred, all I need to do is contact my TA and she will arrange the lower price. If I am still booked directly with Celebrity, I ask them and the adjustment is made with no problems or hesitation on their part.

Our last few cruises have really increased in price. We have to book early to get the flights we require and luckily for us it was good to book early. I would never look at the price after I have made my final payment.

Our next cruise is in about three months - still one month away from final payment. We booked it just over a year ago. Prices for our cabin category have only gone UP from the $2,749 pp we booked. Remaining cabins in that same category now go for $4,199 pp. Anyone booking now - one month before final payment - will be paying almost $3,000 more than we are for the type of cabin, and without the ability to chose the specific location.

Good point which I had considered but didn't address. Thanks for the reminder. But I'm still curious if people book early and then drop the cruise if the price doesn't suit at final payment.

I suspect the answer is yes. One person on this thread mentioned they have 6 cruises booked early. They may book several and as the time nears cancel all but one. On another thread a few years ago one poster claimed that that was his strategy. He booked several cruises and watched the prices. He cancelled all but the one that dropped the most. All he lost was a few dollars interest on the deposit money he had to pay to reserve those unused cruises - all the deposit money he got refunded. When people do that cabins will become available even for "sold out" cruises that have seen prices go up.

Edited by boogs