Last time I book early with Celebrity

mickey89

Because we start planning more than a year in advance I tend to watch what the more or less identical cruise is doing the year before. I know the cruise we are going on next November and I know from looking at this years it's not going to sell out early. Even taking away any possible 123 perks a guarantee cabin is £600 cheaper for the two of us next to the same cruise next year. We actually don't care what cabin we have, indeed the guaranteed inside 12 class cabins on deck 3 offered now are the ones we would have probably booked anyway. Looking at prices many of these " perks" seem to be built into the price anyway.

Edited by yorky

PLENTY - especially on a cruise like this. Departure port that's easily accessible by car for all those retired people. And not many would want an inside cabin for what is primarily a scenery cruise.

Celebrity is in business to make a profit for their stockholders. THAT is their single goal. Enticing NEW customers pays off bigger than keeping loyal customers happy. NEW customers spend more on the ship than loyal customers. Like it or not, the cruise industry is an anomaly to standard business practice. When you take all monies apent, The cost of getting new customers is not higher than keeping current customers.

I think Celebrity has simply figured that out quicker than sone other cruise lines. PS - I don't like it either.

I certainly understand the profitablity logic. But I do wonder if Celebrity is calculating the high residual costs of disillusioned/upset customers every time they play the pricing game? Airlines get away with it because people have to fly. No one "has" to cruise.

Every happy passenger has countless family members, friends and work colleagues that have never cruised before. Recommending a particular cruise line to others or bringing first timers aboard on future sailings can be a huge ROI lift - especially in the cutthroat Caribbean market where competition is rampant and there are many choices.

Celebrity certainly doesn't owe us anything - it's their right to play price roulette. But how much would it really cost the line to give some token OBC, a free excursion or a few specialty meals just as a little goodwill compensation when disappointed customers see fire sale price drops of 25% or more after final payment? The goal is not to make them "whole" as attorneys would say, but to just make them feel a little more valued. I know I would be much more inclined to recommend them to others in that scenario. And how many times could that single inexpensive gesture inspire positive word of mouth that nets the line a brand new friend or family cruiser- the exact target audience they seek?

In contrast, the stats on unhappy customers is well known. Especially when most can now vent virally to hundreds of thousands on social media in a matter of seconds.

I'm a first time cruiser...and yes I'll proably spend more $$$ aboard ship when I sail in Feb than the average experienced cruiser. So I'm supposedly one of the profitable passengers they seek. But I booked early because I needed a midship cabin and if I accidentally find out that rates plummeted, I will feel bad, despite understanding the rationale. I can't help it: I will hate knowing I'm paying a lot more for the exact same vacation experience others are getting. If the price drop is really severe, it may discourage me from booking early ever again and will taint the cruise a bit. Not logical. But emotions (and buying behavior) are rarely logical - advertising 101.

Celebrity is actually bucking today's trends...more hotels and vacation destinations will honor their lower promotional price, even after customers pay in full. Most major retailers will refund you the difference or give you a store credit if mdse goes on sale within 30-90 days after you purchase. You just have to ask. Firms are not doing this to be "nice". They've crunched the numbers and know it's more profitable when customers feel greater buying confidence and that positive word of mouth generates far more sales than advertising ever can.

I have to book early to get an accessible cabin with a balcony, midships. Just one of those things about being disabled. As long as I am happy with the price I've paid, I make a point of not looking at prices after final payment.

Naive and overly cheerful I may be, but I simply don't see the point of opening yourself up to possible resentment should the price have dropped. As others have said, all kinds of products go on sale at some point, but should you need or want a specific cabin (or car colour, or dress size etc.) then why would you look at the price of something after final payment, if there's nothing you can do?

I'm not saying it's right, but it's life. :)

Some will say that booking early you get choice, but at what price!

My cruise 3 weeks after final payment has dropped by $1000 and I feel pig-sick.

Is there anything one can do ?

Same story on other cruise lines . I got lucky this time my cruise went up for $1000.00 . I prefer to book early and be in cabin I love .

It depends what you mean by "booking early."

When we say that, it means booking, generally, within a week or so of itineraries being announced. We have 9 booked, the soonest next month (which we booked 19 months ago) through September 2016 (which we booked 2 weeks ago, 23 months out). We've been doing this for years and rarely have seen the last minute prices be lower than the price at which we booked. Many times (like now) we see prices go up to insane levels (we have cruises booked that it you booked them today would cost double+ what we are paying--of course you would get a "free" ;) booze package). So if the prices after final fall like a rock, they will still be more than we are paying.

MY DH always says, don't even check the prices once final payment has been made. He is right....no sense in making yourself sick about it. If you were happy enough with the price and choice made when paying that final payment, then you won't be disappointed as long as you don't check on pricing. Ignorance is bliss. ;)

I couldn't agree more. what's the point (unless you think there might be an upgrade available)? I tell my wife the same thing about airline ticket prices:D

Edited by bouhunter

I'm always surprised when people are upset because the cruise price went done and the cruiseline won't refund the difference. I buy want I want, hope for a price drop and live with it if the price doesn't drop by final payment date.

I bought a car earlier this year and the price drop the minute I drove it off the lot. I didn't go back and try to renegotiate the price. It's the same thing

I'm always surprised when people are upset because the cruise price went done and the cruiseline won't refund the difference. I buy want I want, hope for a price drop and live with it if the price doesn't drop by final payment date.

I bought a car earlier this year and the price drop the minute I drove it off the lot. I didn't go back and try to renegotiate the price. It's the same thing

You should have. I spent 20 years running car dealerships and if the factory reduced the price the same day or day after I would make a way to get the customer the lower price. Simply is good business and cost us nothing since the price was reduced nationally.

The line doesn't like to see the prices go down so dramatically either -- it means that they will be losing money.

In order to operate a business, you have to take risks and deal with reality.

Risks - trying new itineraries, building ever larger ships with ever changing combination of cabin classes, sailing during bad weather seasons.

Reality - some of your target market is not able to easily travel at certain times of the year, you need to get your ships from one area to another, etc.

They take their experience and make educated guesses as to target prices to charge -- sometimes they guess well and prices are pretty stable, sometimes they guess poorly and prices fluctuate.

As a pax - I've seen my prices go up, go down and stay pretty much the same. If they go up, I'm happy and I keep my mouth shut. If they go down, I'll make a call and try to work something out -- sometimes you might get full satisfaction, sometimes they might be able to toss you a bone, sometimes there is nothing that they are willing or able to do.

Call, be pleasant, and give it a try -- if you cannot upgrade without substantial penalty, try to get something instead, and if they flat out refuse let it roll off your back and if it makes you feel better mention it in your comment card and look elsewhere for your next vacation.

You should have. I spent 20 years running car dealerships and if the factory reduced the price the same day or day after I would make a way to get the customer the lower price. Simply is good business and cost us nothing since the price was reduced nationally.

Actually, we bought a 2013 (previous year model) and got a killer price, no down and an excellent rate.

This is a gamble we all choose to make. Just like in my first post. I thought it might go through, it diddn't so I try again.

Price ensitivty and when you're willing to book is impacted by the proximity of the port (impacted by the need for airfare), the popularity of the sailing, how far in advance you need to confirm time off from work, willingness to cancel if you have an emergency, etc.

We're on two cruises, same ship, B2B. The first cruise is mostly sold out. Cabin prices rose as much as $2000 per person for a Sky Suite, I actually think they nearly doubled in price to $6000/person, and were as high as $5799 for an A1 (opened at $3499) and currently at $4199. Some cabins completely sold out at the opening price so have no change:

On the next cruise, same length, prices were almost identical at opening, but went down as it didn't fill, and still hasn't, so now prices are at or below opening prices for many categories.

Two cruises, same part of the world, slightly different dates, very different pricing. If you bought the first one early and watched prices rise, give yourself a pat on the back. If you bought the second, and saw them fall, you might be upset.

I've mostly been happy with the gamble, booked early, received price drops, but a few times I've paid more than I could have if I waited. So be it, as there are times I need and want to have _some_ security that my vacation and plans are booked. Other times I can take advantage of a last minute deal or guaranteed cabin.

Do you go an look at what happened after you booked your non-refundable airfare? Probably not, so if you won't be happy after final payment (non-refundable) if the prices drop, don't bother looking.

It's your decision whether you roll the dice, just don't come back here telling us you'll never sail Celebrity again because that cruise you really wanted to sail on sold out or has really expensive cabins, even last minute. I've seen posts like this too!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Actually, we bought a 2013 (previous year model) and got a killer price, no down and an excellent rate.

???

Then why would you talk about going back and renegotiating?

I think you are confusing depreciation when you drive off the lot and price drops. Not anything similar.

These price reductions come at a cost. Airfare and pre-cruise hotel prices are likely higher, preferred dining times and/or cabins might be full, and new bookings likely do not include a pick-your-perk/123 Go promotion. The cruise fare might be cheaper, but the ultimate cost of the trip might be more (and the ultimate benefit might be less).

If you're still feeling pig-sick, I can recommend a good veterinarian.

My experience with Celebrity has been that if I spend more money, I can keep the perks. Of course this can be bad news since, as many others have said, once you cruise in a suite it's hard to go back to a balcony.

The flip side is that suites on the cruises I'm watching went up over 1000$ yesterday to compensate for the free companion air fare.

I have a friend who helped write the original yield management code they use to calculate fares. Google it, it's a fascinating methodology.

Have a great cruise!

I would sure like to speak to the yield management friend!!! This is why. I suspect the fluctuation are far more extreme than they once were. Making this sort of thing more annoying. Yes of course they are adding perks but I would rather just have a rate and purchase ala carte. Guess those days are over though.

Also, this teaches customers, it pays to wait. A lot of times anyway. Lol

Since the last YM change, each time final payment or cruise date approaches we consider upgrading. Now the better categories often go Into the suite guarantee category.

This means rather than lower a rate for someone on the cruise willing to pay more, but unwilling to go back to a guarantee status, or rack rate, it can no longer be done. The suite guarantee person gets an CS at half the going rate but someone already in an aft SS or S1 can't pay up by a grand or so and know for sure they will get better than they already paid.

Also as someone mentioned earlier, why not let those on the ship pay a little more to get more and let the new bookings guarantee also be possible.

I think with a little bit of adjustment, more customers would be happier.

The other annoying thing is, when booking in advance, we have no choice but to keep checking for drops!! So of course everyone is aware of pricing. It used to be hearing a fare went down was rare, but we hear it before final payment a lot. It's a lot of work actually. (Yes I know there are choices always, but not if one wants to have the best fare they can manage)

Celebrity, a few times now could have made more money from us if the upgrades weren't so calculated.

[quote name='hulamoon']
SNIP

It used to be hearing a fare went down was rare, but we hear it before final payment a lot. It's a lot of work actually. (Yes I know there are choices always, but not if one wants to have the best fare they can manage)
Celebrity, a few times now could have made more money from us if the upgrades weren't so calculated.[/QUOTE]

Come on, price used to be what was in the brochure. No fishy site, not 100,000 people sharing info on Cruise Critic, not 300 places to book a cruise on the internet. There were also WAY less berths to fill and cruising was relatively, MUCH more expensive. Now, if you want to know a rate, it's easy to find out from 20 sources.

Happy sailing,
jenna

[quote name='bighairtexan']I'm enjoying the pig-sick and sheep-sick terms if nothing else. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Lol, yes it is a Farm Animal Fiesta... :D

Personally, I think this whole post is Horse**** :eek:

Cause let's face it, the OP is crying over spilled milk. :confused:

(Another case of someone not reading / liking the Terms & Conditions of their Cruise Contract :rolleyes: )

*Squeal* ..... Baaaaaa-humbug

Cheers! Edited by Sloop-JohnB

[quote name='rockdoctor']My experience with Celebrity has been that if I spend more money, I can keep the perks. Of course this can be bad news since, as many others have said, once you cruise in a suite it's hard to go back to a balcony.

The flip side is that suites on the cruises I'm watching went up over 1000$ yesterday to compensate for the free companion air fare.

I have a friend who helped write the original yield management code they use to calculate fares. Google it, it's a fascinating methodology.

Have a great cruise![/QUOTE]

When the prices went up, have cabins been selling?

I am on a cruise in about 45 days, there are suites available, prices have come down. I think it's more supply and demand, but that's just me.

Happy sailing,
Jenna

We always use a travel agent for booking cruises. Our standing instructions to the agent include establishing, when booking, whether we will get any later price reductions and or other booking incentives, such as extra OBC, specialty dining, upgrades, etc.

If the answer is no, and if the agent cannot get a concession from the cruise line, we know going in what the deal is and what our opportunities are.

On rare occasions we will be pleasantly surprised, but normally we have no beef with how things transpire.

One last thing. We always check a few days before the 100% refund date just to see what, if any, additional opportunities exist.

[quote name='CruisingChick']It was Summit New England/Canada September 21 - October 5th.

Prices for Inside Guaranteed Cabins were holding around $1,399 - that's where we booked about 7 weeks before sailing. Exactly 2 weeks after that they dropped to $1,099 but only for 2 days, went back up, went back down, went back up, showed sold out, went back on, etc. I was getting a headache trying to follow it.

The Thursday evening before we left (we left Sunday morning), prices for insides, outsides and verandas all dropped. Now how many people can book a 2 week cruise that close to sailing?

I called my TA and she tried to upgrade us. We weren't asking for money back. They said no, this was for new bookings only. She said she saw availability and to ask when we boarded. We asked twice (pier agent and guest services). [B]They said they were sailing full. [/B]

You figure it out because I can't.[/QUOTE]

Here is my lesson - they always say that the ship is sailing full. I ask for a guest relations mgr. I say that as of yesterday there is still availability, I offer to pay for an upgrade and you will see how empty cabins will become available. Then , either make an argument about the price or pay for an upgrade. Usually it is only few hundred $$.

[quote name='CruisingChick']It was Summit New England/Canada September 21 - October 5th.

Prices for Inside Guaranteed Cabins were holding around $1,399 - that's where we booked about 7 weeks before sailing. Exactly 2 weeks after that they dropped to $1,099 but only for 2 days, went back up, went back down, went back up, showed sold out, went back on, etc. I was getting a headache trying to follow it.

The Thursday evening before we left (we left Sunday morning), prices for insides, outsides and verandas all dropped. Now how many [B]people can book a 2 week cruise that close to sailing? [/B]

I called my TA and she tried to upgrade us. We weren't asking for money back. They said no, this was for new bookings only. She said she saw availability and to ask when we boarded. We asked twice (pier agent and guest services). They said they were sailing full.

You figure it out because I can't.[/QUOTE]

You would be surprised.

[quote name='need2bespoiled']Come on, price used to be what was in the brochure. No fishy site, not 100,000 people sharing info on Cruise Critic, not 300 places to book a cruise on the internet. There were also WAY less berths to fill and cruising was relatively, MUCH more expensive. Now, if you want to know a rate, it's easy to find out from 20 sources.

Happy sailing,
jenna[/QUOTE]

Some fishy sites do not tell you what is standard or residential rate. Mine never seem to get back to me! Sure the info is easy but for me to check five booking rates daily for year is a nuisance. Maybe not the checking but the mulling it all over. Lol

In the olden days the TA upgraded us when there was a price drop!! Wow that really did happen. Edited by hulamoon

[quote name='bighairtexan']I'm enjoying the pig-sick and sheep-sick terms if nothing else. Just sayin'.[/quote]

I had the very same reaction - I laughed out loud at those, then immediately sent a text to my husband letting him know we have two new phrases we MUST add to our vocabulary, because they are awesome.