Booking specialty restaurants?

chrismch

You may not get the first choice because of not being in a suite, but non-suite passengers can nonetheless make reservations in specialty restaurants well in advance of departure.

Per Oceania's website:

"Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms can make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

"Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation."

As LHT28 noted above, most people don't book specialties for dining the first night…which is exactly why we do! Easy peasy.

Edited by DrHemlock

Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.

Just be aware that some insist upon scheduling roll call meetings or "small group tour "meetings that night for a get together. One needs to consider the tour they are on, and if attendance to those is something they want/need to do.

More often than not we've been able to get into a specialty restaurant on departure night. Sometimes we've had reservations already, sometimes not.

My favorite story is with our first cruise on Marina in Oct '11. I asked our butler to book a table for 6, but I didn't have all the room numbers (or booking numbers, I forget which) so he couldn't do so. As a result we just went down to the MDR and when we asked for a table for 6 WE were asked if we wanted to go to Jacques. Since that was the restaurant I'd tried to book to begin with, we agreed.

Jacques was not at all crowded that night.

For the record, we had a 10pm departure that night from Athens.

Mura

For the record, we had a 10pm departure that night from Athens

For the record, we've always found that ships' restaurants are usually fairly deserted on those nights when Sailing Time is after dinner.

On every Cruise Line which we have ever sailed with, there seems to be a huge contingent who relish stepping on board at the last possible minute.

Take into account the false economy of arriving in the Departure Port on the same day that the Cruise begins; and you'll find out why Embarkation night is usually a good choice to squeeze into a Specialty......particularly after 8 PM, -and if you offer to share a table-. :D