Group booking without my knowledge????

Luckycruising

Hello,

I did my final payment to my TA (yeah), and now i have access to my documents on Carnival.com. I can see on my booking summary that there is a "group ID- group name". So i'm assuming the TA created a group booking. This never happened to me before, i'm just wondering, will this change anything for me? Should i be concerned? If the TA simply makes more profit this way, i'm really happy for her, as long as it doesn't impact me! I booked ES and have already had several price drops so far on my Christmas cruise (i wasn't expecting that!!).

Thanks

We usually have this on our bookings with our TA. I think TAs make group bookings so they can get a bunch of cabins, and then they sell them off. I'm sure more knowledgeable people can tell us why this is. It doesn't mean that you are part of a particular group. They maybe get a group rate from the cruiseline or something so they can, in turn, offer good rates to their clients.

I asked my TA about a certain cabin for one of our cruises and she offered me a hump cabin instead that wasn't on the website. I guess it was one of the ones she had already reserved as part of her group booking.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. We usually cruise with a group anyway. With a group, you can get better pricing, OBC and some other perks. Even though you are in a "group", you don't have to participate in anything and you probably won't even meet anybody else in the group. Just go with it and enjoy your cruise.

Joe<-----Glad that you went with a TA! :)

Edited by MrCruzeaddict

Common practice . You won't notice anything different by being in a Group as you are booked ES .

ES in a Group counts toward the TC (1 for 16) that the TA may be using as extra comm. or giving to a guest who is the TC .

There is a downside to being ES as you will not receive any of the Amenities that those booked under other Rate Codes in that Group may receive.(OBC, wine, ect.)

Edited by MCC retired

Thanks everyone!! I'm relieved now. As for the amenities given to group booking, i don't really care, since my TA is already giving me a great OBC to start with! (it slightly went down because of the price drops which means lower commision for her, but it's still a great freebie! I would have paid the same amount if i had booked directly on Carnival, but without the extra OBC.

Shouldn't change anything for you - since you are booked into a group - Id ask the TA if there are any amenities associated with the group

I always book with a TA and it's always a group..... if he/she happens to book 5 or more cabins as part of that group, each cabin will be eligible for a $50.00 OBC. We currently have 5 cabins booked and $250.00 in OBC :)

Thanks everyone!! I'm relieved now. As for the amenities given to group booking, i don't really care, since my TA is already giving me a great OBC to start with! (it slightly went down because of the price drops which means lower commision for her, but it's still a great freebie! I would have paid the same amount if i had booked directly on Carnival, but without the extra OBC.

The OBC probably is part of the group booking package.

OBC was chosen instead of wine, photo coupons and/or logo stuff, etc.

Edited by SadieN

Luckycruising,

I see you're from Canada. If your TA booked through a tour operator such as Transat Holidays, the tour operator would be the one making the group. They book their cabins in bulk with the cruise lines, so that could be the case as well!

That's how TA's make their money, they book as groups and pocket the money they save as a group booking. Yes sometimes they pass some savings on to their customers but not all too often. Never did understand why people still use travel agents with today's age of computers. I would do all my own bookings directly through the travel provider,chances are I can book it faster and cheaper then dealing with a TA.

But to answer your original question no this affects your booking in no way just let them know that you are part of a group booking deal.

No worries about being in a group.That's how you got the initial OBC. Your TA should have shared this info with you ahead of time though.

That's how TA's make their money, they book as groups and pocket the money they save as a group booking. Yes sometimes they pass some savings on to their customers but not all too often. Never did understand why people still use travel agents with today's age of computers. I would do all my own bookings directly through the travel provider,chances are I can book it faster and cheaper then dealing with a TA.

But to answer your original question no this affects your booking in no way just let them know that you are part of a group booking deal.

I used a TA for my very 1st cruise & it was disastrous. After that, I switched to finding my own. I don't mind doing the research and after all, only I know which deal is best for me. Then I call Carnival to book it rather than booking it on line. I figure that way someone will be able to get a commission. I've recently switched to a TA that came highly recommended & I'm really glad I did. Her prices are never higher than what I can get on line or through someone at Carnival. On top of that I get OBC which I couldn't otherwise get through Carnival.

I do understand the convenience of handling the booking myself in case I want to makes changes, but my TA is terrific. She is very easily accessible, works hard, & takes care of any changes I need immediately. I'v heard a lot of stories about unscrupulous TA & would only advise someone to use a TA that came with great recommendations. A great TA can be well worth it.

The only thing I remember from reading the board is there were some people who unknowingly got (but paid for through the TA) the "free" room from the group.

They therefore did not get their VIFP points, since those are only awarded on paid bookings (of course, the person paid- but as far as Carnival is concerned, it was a comp.)

I don't remember what the resolution of the thread was, and whether those people ever got their points, I'd just verify with the TA that your room is fullly counting towards the rewards program.