Are you going to try the North Star?

dln929

This is one thing I've been wondering about. North Star extends over the edges of the ship so if you have a balcony you can probably watch it do its thing from the comfort of your own cabin. And watch the people inside? This might be seriously entertaining!

And the people in the capsule might be able to see into your cabin. :eek:

North Star meets Full "MOON." :eek:

Eric

I am terrified of heights but I think I will do it with my family....I think. My DD says she can wait to see me face :eek:....little bugger loves seeing mom freak out. :p

Should have seen her playing on the Getaway plank and me having a heart attack on the golf course below. :eek:

I might get slammed for this question but with ALL due respect, what is it that makes a person afraid of heights? Do they think they will jump. fall or be pushed? None of those things can happen in an enclosed pod. So what is it? Does the person know?

Acrophobia sufferers can experience a panic attack in a high place and become too agitated to get themselves down safely. Between 2 and 5 percent of the general population suffer from acrophobia, with twice as many women affected as men

Most people experience a degree of natural fear when exposed to heights, known as the fear of falling

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrophobia

Edited by derf5585

Acrophobia sufferers can experience a panic attack in a high place and become too agitated to get themselves down safely. Between 2 and 5 percent of the general population suffer from acrophobia, with twice as many women affected as men

Most people experience a degree of natural fear when exposed to heights, known as the fear of falling

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrophobia

Intellectually I understand the definition but is it a lack of or an excess of a neurotransmitter that creates the fear? Serotonin maybe? It must be an awful feeling as I can't imagine not trying something for a seemingly illogical reasoning. I know there are all sorts of therapies for treatment so it's not like these fears are rare. I just really feel kinda sad for these people as they could really missing out on so many things and we only live once. Oh well...my bucket list includes sky diving and scuba diving with great whites (after I check out the tour operator's safety record)! My DH does think I am crazy at times!

Happy cruising everyone

Three week countdown to maiden of quantum!

I think mild fear of heights, fear of creepy crawlies, fear of small enclosed space are all pretty common. I have a coworker who is on the more severe side. Our work place has an open stair case and he cannot use it because he would be able to look down between the steps. No cruise ships for him! Imagine him on a balcony. Lol

Intellectually I understand the definition but is it a lack of or an excess of a neurotransmitter that creates the fear? Serotonin maybe? It must be an awful feeling as I can't imagine not trying something for a seemingly illogical reasoning. I know there are all sorts of therapies for treatment so it's not like these fears are rare. I just really feel kinda sad for these people as they could really missing out on so many things and we only live once. Oh well...my bucket list includes sky diving and scuba diving with great whites (after I check out the tour operator's safety record)! My DH does think I am crazy at times!

Happy cruising everyone

Three week countdown to maiden of quantum!

Skydiving is an amazing feeling. The simulators like iFly dont do it justice. I did it 10 years ago for my birthday and it is probably the greatest adrenaline rush ever.

Now diving with Great White, I think I will skip that one

I'm game to try just about everything that they offer. With all the various offerings there should be some time available during our cruise. When we are on again in February I'll have a better idea of which, if any, I want to repeat.:)

He says he isn't, but I think my other half is afraid of heights. I tease him mercilessly about it of course!

Myself, I am afraid of polystyrene snakes that are used for packing parcels. I dont know why - but even thinking about them smothers me in a mild blanket of terror.................. I also do not like the stringy bits on a banana you sometimes get.

Back on topic- I will definitely be on that North Star, even if I am going up without himself!

Myself, I am afraid of polystyrene snakes that are used for packing parcels.!

DO you know how many stryros they have to kill to get the styroFOAM

You are not the only one

my fear is strictly pertaining to packing peanuts.

All kinds of packing peanuts too; polystyrene, starch or otherwise.

The fear relates to their size, clustering, texture, and static

cling; but even one with no static cling by itself absolutely

horrifies me.

from

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/unusualphobias/conversations/topics/736

I’m a Victim of Styrophobia

from

http://www.newuniversity.org/2011/01/features/im-a-victim-of-styrophobia/

I guess I am kinda like my mom...I took her paragliding on her 65th birthday and she went scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef for her 75th! She also won US nationals several times in her age group (~72ish) for table tennis and competed at worlds!

She's a hoot and will try anything. Last week she called me and explained that 'she has broken her chainsaw' which is wrong on soooo many levels....she's 82...

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Will definitely try the North Star. And I am afraid of heights. For me it is the fear of falling and I can actually get dizzy. However once I get used to something I do fine. The ships balcony no longer bother me and I even zip lined on Oasis ( however once was enough). I live in super highway land of Dallas with tons of elevated driving expressways and have to take one to work everyday. It does get easier.

Anyone hear how much the sunset/ wine trips will be?