8am-1am in Nassau

tink77

Hello! Trying to finalize some plans for Nassau....our first visit here and my kids first cruise port ever! At first we were going to visit the zoo, then thought about just a beach day. However, I found some areas I would love to see and wanted advise on the order to visit them and the best route of getting around (between jitney and walking).

Fort Charlotte then head to John Watlings Distillery and onward to Junkanoo Beach for the kids to get some sun and us some food/drinks and then back to the cruise ship for the evening activities/dinner is my original plan. Would this work in this order or should I reverse the Fort Charlotte/John Watlings visitation order? I don't like to do a lot of backtracking--so trying to find the best order/easiest route to get between these places! Also, we are debating about visiting the straw market to see what it's like and to say we were there once....how does its location fit in with these other places?

TIA!!

Fort Charlotte is outside of town, about a mile and a half away. Have you thought about going to Fort Fincastle, which is in town, instead? Then you could walk down to John Watling's and then down to the beach.

If you go to Fort Charlotte, then Watling's, then the beach, you'd be back tracking, since the beach is between town and Fort Charlotte.

The straw market is closest to the port so I would do that last. Well actually, I wouldn't do it at all, but that's just me. :)

The straw market is closest to the port so I would do that last. Well actually, I wouldn't do it at all, but that's just me. :)

Agree with the above ... consider NOT going to the straw market! Better to go on back to the ship! ;)

LuLu

I definitely don't mind skipping the straw market--I just thought it was something that you had to experience at least once! lol

Is Fincastle as nice as Fort Charlotte? I was originally planning on taking the jitney to Fort Charlotte and then walking to the distillery--but maybe we should take the jitney back and then get off at a stop closer to the distillery?

I would consider just taking a peek into the Straw Market as your last stop and the closest to the ship. So many booths, but most are the same. So just a quick walk in to see the first several that you encounter is all that it would take. You didn't say how young your kids are. If they are small it can be quite hectic and overwhelming for them and you, so just going in a short way would work and you would at least get to experience it.

How old are the kids, and when are you going? If they are little and it is hot, they will be very unhappy in a few hours. If it is during the winter months, they will be warm, and probably grateful they are not in the water all day. But kids would probably want to do the pirates museum, the zoo, and the beach. If they are in their teens, then eh, not so much. Hope you have a great cruise.

Be sure to look up pics of these places especially Ft Fincastle on Trip Advisor. I had it on my list of places to visit along with Queens Staircase & Water Tower, but after seeing the pics was very unimpressed. Just best to know before you go & form your own opinion. I've unfortunately crossed so many places off my list now. :(

One place I am still looking forward to seeing that looks beautiful but I never see anyone mention here on CC is the Cloisters & Versailles.

Be sure to look up pics of these places especially Ft Fincastle on Trip Advisor. I had it on my list of places to visit along with Queens Staircase & Water Tower, but after seeing the pics was very unimpressed. Just best to know before you go & form your own opinion. I've unfortunately crossed so many places off my list now. :(

One place I am still looking forward to seeing that looks beautiful but I never see anyone mention here on CC is the Cloisters & Versailles.

The Cloisters don't take very long to see. But if you already on Paradise Island, they are worth a visit for a photo op. Very pretty and peaceful.

People post some really bad pictures on Trip Advisor sometimes. :) Don't let them change your plans.

Just wanted to post back how the day went!

When we first got off the ship, we walked a little and then hopped on a bus....quickly found out it wasn't the #10 that we were looking for and were given directions to the right place! Walked by the straw market on the way, peeked in and yes....very overwhelming! Keep your kids close and warm them not to talk unless they know how to say no and keep moving! ;)

We found the #10 bus and were quickly on our way to Fort Charlotte! We found out enroute that the distillery was closed due to it being a holiday in Nassau and only the bar was opened, so we nixed going. Dropped off near Fort Charlotte and walked past some soccer looking field, the area looks kinda sketchy as you approach the fort. We seen some random guy just sitting on the first fort area (before the shops) and walked to the top and seen some homeless men sleeping--quickly went back and headed to the main part of the fort.

If you aren't into history, then you might find it boring. However, we love history and enjoyed walking around with a guide and going through again taking our time. Beautiful views as well!

photostream

The fort is only about 5 minutes or less from Junkanoo Beach, so once we were down there, back down the hill and to the beach for a few hours!

photostream

Once we finished up at the beach, off we went to do some shopping and decided to peek in the straw market because I wanted a wrap I had seen on the beach! Ended up being a good decision, the beach vendors were asking $25 and the lady at the straw market was asking $10! And I agree, the Straw Market is extremely overwhelming and after 10 minutes in it, we were done! I was afraid my youngest was going to get sucked into a booth and never seen again! :p

photostream

Enjoyed our time in Nassau! Next time, will probably do a day pass and just relax or would love to visit way out of the way places!