Savings Tip

Italy52

The Alaska Toursaver and Northern Lights coupon books are usually available by mid to late November.

All the discounts are posted on their web sites, so look thru them carefully to see if you can utilize enough coupons to make the purchase worthwhile.

Groupons are another resource.

Last yr signed up for newsletter, etc on Kenai Fjords Tours web site, and was notified via email that they would run a 50% off sales over Thanksgiving weekend so was able to take advantage of that which was nice surprise... Maybe they will do it again this year :)

Ps. Got the sale notification maybe a day or so before Thanksgiving

My review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674

Edited by JosieRhodes

Last yr signed up for newsletter, etc on Kenai Fjords Tours web site, and was notified via email that they would run a 50% off sales over Thanksgiving weekend so was able to take advantage of that which was nice surprise... Maybe they will do it again this year :)

Ps. Got the sale notification maybe a day or so before Thanksgiving

My review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674

Was this special offering for the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour only? Reason I ask is I have never gotten a deal like that before --- my e-mails have always been a combo offering (room plus tour).

Was this special offering for the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour only? Reason I ask is I have never gotten a deal like that before --- my e-mails have always been a combo offering (room plus tour).

I went back and checked my email to refresh my memory and this is screen print of deal. Yes, just for the tour, but it was only for the 8am one, and non refundable. Still, for the four of us, the deal was worth it. I was very excited at the time as was trying to justify dollars to do tour out of Whittier and this - glad did both as each had unique benefits (well, my humble opinion) We stayed at holiday inn express so not too bad getting over there by 7:30am or so. :)

0171fceed761738c133be02acff40181_zps63fff919.jpg

I went back and checked my email to refresh my memory and this is screen print of deal. Yes, just for the tour, but it was only for the 8am one, and non refundable. Still, for the four of us, the deal was worth it. I was very excited at the time as was trying to justify dollars to do tour out of Whittier and this - glad did both as each had unique benefits (well, my humble opinion) We stayed at holiday inn express so not too bad getting over there by 7:30am or so. :)

0171fceed761738c133be02acff40181_zps63fff919.jpg

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. I see that the offer was limited to the 8 AM tour --- did you find it crowded? When we were waiting for our 11:30 AM tour it seemed like a lot of people went on the 8 AM tour.

Also, it says non refundable. What if the weather was bad ? Would you have lost the money you paid ? I'll be arriving in Anchorage on 11th July and our cruise is on 13th July. We will be driving from Anchorage on 12th July. If possible I want to take the Kenai Fjord tour on 12th July because from what I've read you want to give yourself a couple of chances for taking the Whale watching tours. If due to weather or whatever the tour gets canceled you have one extra day to try. I have to call up Kenai Fjords one of these days to ask them how that will work. I want to book for both 12th and 13th and if I take the tour on 12th, then cancel the one on 13th.

Here is Kenai Fjords cancellation policy for regular bookings :

Kenai Fjords Tours

"All prices are subject to change until reservation is paid in full. All online bookings require payment in full at the time of booking. All other bookings require a deposit equal to 50% of the total booking. Remaining balances will be automatically charged 30 days prior to the scheduled arrival date, to the same credit card used for the deposit. A full refund is issued for reservations cancelled 15 days or more prior to the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations within 14 days of arrival date are non-refundable. A $ 15 per person re-booking fee will be charged if a reservation is modified within 14 days of departure. Tours are subject to cancellations or route changes if weather or other conditions prevail. In these cases, Kenai Fjords Tours is liable for only those funds paid to them. If weather or sea conditions allow cruising in Resurrection Bay only, Kenai Fjords Tours will offer a partial refund of $50 per full fare adult, and $25 per full fare child. Early reservations are recommended to confirm specific departures."

Edited by Italy52

So if I use a discount coupon either from their own promotions or the tour savers or northern lights book and book a tour for 12th July and due to bad weather the tour gets canceled. I then book a tour for 13th July and lose all the possible discounts ?

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. I see that the offer was limited to the 8 AM tour --- did you find it crowded? When we were waiting for our 11:30 AM tour it seemed like a lot of people went on the 8 AM tour.[/

It was day before 4th of July so was prepared for crowds, but didn't seem too crowded to me.

So if I use a discount coupon either from their own promotions or the tour savers or northern lights book and book a tour for 12th July and due to bad weather the tour gets canceled. I then book a tour for 13th July and lose all the possible discounts ?

I suggest, for your peace of mind, that you call the Kenai Fjords tour office directly and speak with someone in reservations. The KFT people are very friendly and will be able to answer your questions and concerns.

Also, it says non refundable. What if the weather was bad ? Would you have lost the money you paid ? I'll be arriving in Anchorage on 11th July and our cruise is on 13th July. We will be driving from Anchorage on 12th July. If possible I want to take the Kenai Fjord tour on 12th July because from what I've read you want to give yourself a couple of chances for taking the Whale watching tours. If due to weather or whatever the tour gets canceled you have one extra day to try. I have to call up Kenai Fjords one of these days to ask them how that will work. I want to book for both 12th and 13th and if I take the tour on 12th, then cancel the one on 13th.

If there is space available they will book you on the next tour. Otherwise they give a refund. For clarification- these tours are NOT whale watches. My stats are about 60% for seeing whales on these trips. I also, always go out repeatedly when there. I went out 4 days in a row this year, saw whales on 2 trips. If you want to see whales, then you need to book tours out of Juneau or Hoonah where it is 100% sightings of humpbacks.

If there is space available they will book you on the next tour. Otherwise they give a refund. For clarification- these tours are NOT whale watches. My stats are about 60% for seeing whales on these trips. I also, always go out repeatedly when there. I went out 4 days in a row this year, saw whales on 2 trips. If you want to see whales, then you need to book tours out of Juneau or Hoonah where it is 100% sightings of humpbacks.

Yes I will be booking a tour in Hoonah but would like to do the Kenai Fjords tour too. I probably should have said marine life but I have whale on my mind lol . I'll talk to Kenai Fjords and Major Marine one of these days.

Budget Queen - Just want to say that you are so lucky to be able to do multiple trips in Alaska :)

Thanks for the great info

Question though, has anyone done these tours with kids? I'm not sure how my then 5 year old will last even on a 6 hour boat ride. It's much different than being able to go back to your room on the ship if they get cranky

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
We were also able to get an AARP discount on our tour.

Thanks so much I had not thought of AAA discounts. Oddly I do for other stuff. I appreciate all the information that people take the time to post. Hope we all have wonderful weather and a wonderful cruise.

The Alaska Toursaver and Northern Lights coupon books are usually available by mid to late November.

All the discounts are posted on their web sites, so look thru them carefully to see if you can utilize enough coupons to make the purchase worthwhile.

Groupons are another resource.

Where or who does that sells the Alaska Toursaver coupon books, is it through the auto club?

Where or who does that sells the Alaska Toursaver coupon books, is it through the auto club?

Google is your friend.

Most folks buy them on-line so they have them prior to the trip. But be sure to look at the offerings to see if you can use enough coupons to pay for the book.

http://www.toursaver.com/

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/northern-lights/