Is it safe to travel to Istanbul?

Cruise insurance - does that help in a case like this?
Depends on the policy. If you are worried about having to cancel at the last minute, get cancel for any reason insurance on your whole trip (flights, cruise, hotels). I don't have any experience with a cruise line modifying the embarkation/disembarkation ports for a cruise, so I don't know how much they will work with you if you've made your own pre- and post-cruise travel arrangements.

But a cruise line deciding to avoid Istanbul is like a cruise line deciding to avoid New York City. It would really require some kind of major city-wide disruption or natural disaster for this to happen.

Whenever we see these "is it safe" threads DW and I just smile since we have oft visited places that many folks would consider unsafe. In fact, we are now in our winter home of Puerto Vallarta (where we eat out in over 50 restaurants a year) where we feel safer then in most places of the USA.

So this morning I turn on the TV (yes, they have electricity and television in Mexico) and watched the CNN reports on the Paris terrorist (the White House will probably call it "workplace violence) shooting. This is truly awful, and our hearts go out to all those in France that are impacted by this incident.

But then I thought, how long before somebody will start a CC thread titled something like "is it safe to go to France?"

Getting back to the OPs question, DW and I love traveling in Turkey, have always found the Turks friendly and helpful, and have never felt endangered be it in Istanbul, Kusadasi, or just driving our rental car to a more remote place like the village of Tire. Our DD (and her fiancé) recently spent 2 weeks traveling all over Turkey, which they did based on our recommendation. DD enjoyed the visit, and her fiancé thought it was the most interesting country he had ever visited (and he is well traveled).

Hank

"is it safe to travel to..." It all depends on one's level of risk. We took a cruise to Mexico several years ago in the middle of the media hysteria. We enjoyed ourselves and will go back again. I didn't feel comfortable in Acapulco many years ago so have no desire to return.

We lived in Venezuela when Chavez was first elected. I had a "driver" aka body guard and never felt comfortable there. I have no desire to go back and yet the Venezuelan people are wonderful. We've also lived in Trinidad and Tobago...I never got used to seeing ak47s in Pizza Hut and avoiding certain roads at night. My husband loved it there and the people were the best.

We visited Istanbul in October. We had a guide with us at all times....felt a little uncomfortable but never unsafe. I wouldn't be comfortable sightseeing there without a guide. There have been two suicide bombings in the last two weeks...don't know what's going on there.

I also spent lots of time in London during the IRA times...the IRA used to call in a warning before they struck...

Our family is from Eastern Europe...never felt unsafe there or in Russia. I was in Paris during a terrorist attack...scared to death but went back again.

My sister and bil were thrown to the ground by a bomb blast as they opened the door to board their plane in Madrid. They were OK and got on the plane to Malaga as soon as the airport was cleared.

Visiting certain cities just depends on your level of comfort. Your level of comfort is different than mine so everyone needs to decide for themselves.

We visited Istanbul in October. We had a guide with us at all times....felt a little uncomfortable but never unsafe. I wouldn't be comfortable sightseeing there without a guide. There have been two suicide bombings in the last two weeks...don't know what's going on there.

<snip>

Visiting certain cities just depends on your level of comfort. Your level of comfort is different than mine so everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Interesting -- I also visited Istanbul in October with a friend for 2.5 days before our cruise. We (two females) walked all around on our own and never felt either unsafe or uncomfortable. We avoided Taksim square area but went many other places where tourists are not as omnipresent as in the main historic center of Sultanahmet.

As you say, each person has his/her own comfort level. But I'd hate to give anyone a false sense of Istanbul as a place that is dangerous or scary to visit. I feel less scared walking around there at night than I would in many US cities.

Interesting -- I also visited Istanbul in October with a friend for 2.5 days before our cruise. We (two females) walked all around on our own and never felt either unsafe or uncomfortable. We avoided Taksim square area but went many other places where tourists are not as omnipresent as in the main historic center of Sultanahmet.

As you say, each person has his/her own comfort level. But I'd hate to give anyone a false sense of Istanbul as a place that is dangerous or scary to visit. I feel less scared walking around there at night than I would in many US cities.

Agree ! We live in a suburb of Chicago & unfortunately there are killings in bad neighborhoods. It doesn't mean the entire city is dangerous, but being aware of where you are within a city is very important. The news makes it look like entire cities are lawless. In any part of the world, caution and good sense go along way. BTW, we're going back to Istanbul in the fall.

I walked all over Istanbul by myself last October at all hours in the tourist areas. As a single female, I never felt uncomfortable at all, but did stay in the well lit areas after it got dark. Not necessary to take any chances. I guarantee that Istanbul is safer overall than Los Angeles.;)

I feel safer in most European cities than I do in the larger Metropolitan areas in the US. We walked all over Prague, Venice, Paris, London etc at night without guides. I used to walk from downtown Stavanger, Norway to the suburbs at night by myself but, I never went anywhere alone in Venezuela...again it gets back to one's comfort zone. Our guide in Istanbul took us to areas outside of the tourist areas as we don't like crowds. The tourist areas were very crowded. We saw many very interesting things. We walked and took public transportation....no tours. We would have only seen the tourist areas without a guide. The guide knew what was happening and thus had us avoid certain areas because of protests etc. You have to see Istanbul on foot as vehicles are worthless due to the traffic. Visiting Istanbul had been on our bucket list for 20 years...we are so glad that we went. Read the news sites about Erdogan and his latest antics..might affect your comfort level.

Read the news sites about Erdogan and his latest antics..might affect your comfort level.

I have been keeping up with Turkish politics for quite a while and am well aware of Erdogan. I'm not thrilled with the conservative course that has been followed of late. However, as another poster already stated, I have seen nothing [as yet] that would make me think Turkey is less safe for tourists.

Daughter & Son in law were in Istanbul from December 16th to 22nd, they went everywhere, including Taksim square ( i wasn't thrilled with this) & felt very safe & welcomed.

They were in Rome the following week, & said they felt equally safe & welcome in both cities, but actually enjoyed the food & people in Istanbul a bit more than Rome...

Daughter & Son in law were in Istanbul from December 16th to 22nd, they went everywhere, including Taksim square ( i wasn't thrilled with this) & felt very safe & welcomed.

They were in Rome the following week, & said they felt equally safe & welcome in both cities, but actually enjoyed the food & people in Istanbul a bit more than Rome...

It's hard to go wrong in either city -- they are my two favorites!

(P.S. Don't forget to update me on any fun Rome activities over Christmas period...;))

So I have a rather unique question...my husband, 23 YO son and I are booked on the Rhapsody in July which leaves out of Istanbul on July 3rd. We were looking forward to flying in a couple of days early to enjoy the city. However...our last name is Israel (yes we are Jewish). Any thoughts on whether this will cause us problems with what's going on there now? We're not planning on advertising the fact or making any political or religious statemnt - just going as American tourists!

So I have a rather unique question...my husband, 23 YO son and I are booked on the Rhapsody in July which leaves out of Istanbul on July 3rd. We were looking forward to flying in a couple of days early to enjoy the city. However...our last name is Israel (yes we are Jewish). Any thoughts on whether this will cause us problems with what's going on there now? We're not planning on advertising the fact or making any political or religious statemnt - just going as American tourists!

Undoubtedly you are going to get several responses assuring you that you have nothing to worry about (I'm surprised those responses have not yet appeared...). Undoubtedly, also, anyone challenging those assurances would get mocked and/or flamed, so I'm not going to address the safety issue; instead - as a frequent traveler who is both Jewish and Israeli- I will give you some tools for your visit:

- Aside from your hotel, where you have no choice, keep you last name to yourself (which means you may want to think about not using your credit card for purchases).

- Over the next few months, pay particular attention to news coming out of Turkey. As I'm sure you are aware, Erdogan and his ministers are blatant anti- Semites, with their words increasingly becoming more militant and inflammatory.

- Understand that there is also an issue of emotional safety and well being- and also be very aware that all those reassuring posts will be posted from those who have no awareness, or ability/desire to relate to this aspect. From my own very difficult personal experience traveling in the UK this summer, and from reports from friends who traveled in Europe, I can tell you that encounters with anti Israel/anti Jewish demonstrations will leave you scarred emotionally. (Some of these demonstrations may be small and not well publicized; you may just happen upon them.). [i don't know how anyone could not be shaken by these events, but there are posters on this thread who write of their visits to repressive countries without a care, so I suppose it is possible.]

Would I visit Turkey at this time? Absolutely not, but that is for political reasons. On the other hand, my husband now refuses to visit Europe at all, out of frustration with the situation for Jews, but I will continue my travels- albeit with added caution.

Undoubtedly you are going to get several responses assuring you that you have nothing to worry about (I'm surprised those responses have not yet appeared...). Undoubtedly, also, anyone challenging those assurances would get mocked and/or flamed, so I'm not going to address the safety issue; instead - as a frequent traveler who is both Jewish and Israeli- I will give you some tools for your visit:

- Aside from your hotel, where you have no choice, keep you last name to yourself (which means you may want to think about not using your credit card for purchases).

- Over the next few months, pay particular attention to news coming out of Turkey. As I'm sure you are aware, Erdogan and his ministers are blatant anti- Semites, with their words increasingly becoming more militant and inflammatory.

- Understand that there is also an issue of emotional safety and well being- and also be very aware that all those reassuring posts will be posted from those who have no awareness, or ability/desire to relate to this aspect. From my own very difficult personal experience traveling in the UK this summer, and from reports from friends who traveled in Europe, I can tell you that encounters with anti Israel/anti Jewish demonstrations will leave you scarred emotionally. (Some of these demonstrations may be small and not well publicized; you may just happen upon them.). [i don't know how anyone could not be shaken by these events, but there are posters on this thread who write of their visits to repressive countries without a care, so I suppose it is possible.]

Would I visit Turkey at this time? Absolutely not, but that is for political reasons. On the other hand, my husband now refuses to visit Europe at all, out of frustration with the situation for Jews, but I will continue my travels- albeit with added caution.

Just a comment on the past experiences of the OP: It makes me so sad that we haven't learned anything from our past in the way we treat our fellow human beings. I guess we will never learn.:(

Cole

Although I'm not Jewish, I have a Jewish surname. If you have concerns, I agree with Ruth's advice about only sharing your name at your hotel. I will say I was in Istanbul in October and did not encounter any problems, demonstrations, or "attitudes" anywhere.

A good friend of mine whose daughter had been in Israel for a visit had the chance to go to Istanbul for a few days before returning home. Her father was nervous, but she went and ended up really enjoying her time there.

Everyone has their own level of comfort, of course. I am one who feels travel is a worthwhile and necessary way to understand not only history but the issues and concerns of others. It helps me understand things in a way that all the reading and TV news in the world cannot.

As I've said in earlier posts that I was uncomfortable at times in Istanbul. One of our guides asked if we were Jewish within 10 minutes of meeting us. He asked several other questions about our religion which we deflected. We are not Jewish but do not wish to discuss our beliefs with strangers. The other peculiar question asked was about guns...wanted to know if we owned guns etc.

My DH loved Istanbul but he wouldn't go now.

I wasn't uncomfortable in other cities in Turkey. I suggest those of you planning on visiting Turkey read all that you can especially from the foreign press.

As I've said in earlier posts that I was uncomfortable at times in Istanbul. One of our guides asked if we were Jewish within 10 minutes of meeting us. He asked several other questions about our religion which we deflected. We are not Jewish but do not wish to discuss our beliefs with strangers. The other peculiar question asked was about guns...wanted to know if we owned guns etc.

My DH loved Istanbul but he wouldn't go now.

I wasn't uncomfortable in other cities in Turkey. I suggest those of you planning on visiting Turkey read all that you can especially from the foreign press.

Wow! Sounds like your problem was the guide, not Istanbul. Tis a real shame.

Hank

In the course of ordinary, anonymous sight-seeing, your name will never come up. Even if you hand over your credit card to pay for a museum entrance fee, for example, I don't believe that there is a secret signal for the cashier to let all his/her colleagues know that Jews have entered the building.

If you have interactions with local people, however, for example a tour guide or a merchant, the topic of religion may very well come up. It may be a totally innocent conversation, or genuine interest, or they may be looking to start an argument. If you go looking for anti-Israel and anti-Semitic attitudes in Turkey, unfortunately you will find them very easily, and there is a small chance that they will come find you.

If you are interested in visiting specifically Jewish sites in Istanbul, especially synagogues, those places face particular threats and there are usually increased security measures that one hopes are effective.