My experience on royal caribbean versus carnival

bugsy777

I agree that reviews are the opinion of the person posting them. However, there's a difference between opinion and facts. When someone writes a review that has factually incorrect information, I think it's prudent to point it out. For example, you know that it won't be long before a first timer goes on a Carnival cruise looking for a "gala embarkation lunch" because they read it on the review that the OP posted. And you don't need to be a "Loyal Royal" to disagree with the OP's review, as the replies on this thread reveal.

Even if you write a review without wrong facts, posting it on Cruise Critic means that you better be ready for the ensuing feedback and comments from those that read it. Otherwise, what would be the point of writing a review in an open forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree there is a difference between opinion and facts and some of the facts are wrong but why must so many people be so snide and cruel in their comments? We all see and experience things in a different way and so many of the people on this board ridicule those that don't see things the way they do. Comments and feedback are a good thing, snide remarks, not so good!

Pat

OP is getting beat up pretty badly on a Carnival board no less. Hate see what the responses are like on the Royal board. I don't doubt that some of the information was factually incorrect, but alot of it was simply opinion. About the food, disorganization, customer service. Most of this stuff wouldn't have been a big deal to me, but everyone is different. They have a right to their own opinion.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I agree there is a difference between opinion and facts and some of the facts are wrong but why must so many people be so snide and cruel in their comments? We all see and experience things in a different way and so many of the people on this board ridicule those that don't see things the way they do. Comments and feedback are a good thing, snide remarks, not so good!

Pat

Exactly!

This thread is just strange. Granted an old Royal Caribbean ship is compared to newer Carnival ships but the review is an opinion and opinion is not fact. There are a lot of responses from nit pickers and cheerleaders that are also opinion or pointing out what hoops the OP should have jumped through to have the same experience.

Responses like: "You could just go down to guest services and get a Compass" are true but it doesn't make the person's opinion invalid. On Carnival the Funtimes is in your cabin each night and if the interactive TV isn't working then you could be a bit confused.

I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean and Platinum on Carnival and there is a difference in lines and many of those differences are good for some and bad for others. Serenade is not the jewel of the Royal Caribbean crown and I can understand where someone would make some negative comparisons. I personally think the Jewel class ships, Serenade is one, are the some of the most beautiful at sea. Opinion.

One persons grandeur is another person's tacky. So be it.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

I agree there is a difference between opinion and facts and some of the facts are wrong but why must so many people be so snide and cruel in their comments?

Comments and feedback are a good thing, snide remarks, not so good.

I agree. When I write a review, I do appreciate opposing BUT respectful opinions. But not snarky or rude comments. With that said, I've developed a thick skin posting here, and I've learned to ignore some comments.

Edited by Tapi

Interesting... Personally I've only been on 2 cruises, both carnival, and a 3rd booked for 2015. Each time I book, I researched RCI thoroughly... And always ended up on carnival...mostly for the price..as I have a large family and we get multiple cabins. We do have a desire to one day sail on RCI just to see the difference.. I would think... One's cruising experience and opinion is highly dependent on which ship they sail on... I would think the shows on RCI's oasis or allure would be better than anything I have ever seen on carnival..simple because they are booking the best for those ships....I've always heard RCI's food is better... But I've never had issues with carnivals... Then again, I am retired military... So I've eaten my share of crappy food and enjoyed it[emoji6]. Suppose my point is... Other than the room announcement issue... The OPs assessment may be on the spot... For their experience they had on the ships they have been on. I looked back at the reviews of my last cruise... I had a super great time... Others clearly did not... Any little thing can sway a persons opinion...I had a fantastic room steward.. Another cruiser did not....etc etc. we all do our due diligence when selecting a ship.. We take what others say and choose to use their info or not...it's why I love cruise critic... I listen, learn and absorb.....but ultimately... Do my thing.....carnival,has been good to me so far... But someday will hopefully try the other lines[emoji4]

I agree that reviews are the opinion of the person posting them. However, there's a difference between opinion and facts. When someone writes a review that has factually incorrect information, I think it's prudent to point it out. For example, you know that it won't be long before a first timer goes on a Carnival cruise looking for a "gala embarkation lunch" because they read it on the review that the OP posted. And you don't need to be a "Loyal Royal" to disagree with the OP's review, as the replies on this thread reveal.

Even if you write a review without wrong facts, posting it on Cruise Critic means that you better be ready for the ensuing feedback and comments from those that read it. Otherwise, what would be the point of writing a review in an open forum?

"Facts" in a review are subjective because it's an OPINION. It is their perspective of a cruise and their own truth of what they experienced. We can all agree if we asked forty people to describe something they all saw at the same time we'd get forty different stories, right? Same theory.

The OP didn't say Carnival had a "gala embarkation lunch". She said don't go looking for a "gala" embarkation lunch on Royal. Grammar matters. The OP's implication is that to THEM Carnival seemed to have a bit more flair or "gala" lunch on the first day whereas RCCI's was less impressive. Not lying. Difference in perspective.

And I suppose we will also have to agree to disagree that a review is something that deserves such harsh "feedback" as this one has received simply because they shared on a forum. I am of the opinion that everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal perspective, whether I agree with it or not. The way people are responding to this poster is flat out classless. We do not have to agree with the OP to allow them space to state their views. It doesn't invalidate how anyone feels about their cruise line of choice, but jeez people...it's a cruise line. She's not talking about world peace.

Kindness is free, y'all.

"Facts" in a review are subjective because it's an OPINION. It is their perspective of a cruise and their own truth of what they experienced. We can all agree if we asked forty people to describe something they all saw at the same time we'd get forty different stories, right? Same theory.

The OP didn't say Carnival had a "gala embarkation lunch". She said don't go looking for a "gala" embarkation lunch on Royal. Grammar matters. The OP's implication is that to THEM Carnival seemed to have a bit more flair or "gala" lunch on the first day whereas RCCI's was less impressive. Not lying. Difference in perspective.

And I suppose we will also have to agree to disagree that a review is something that deserves such harsh "feedback" as this one has received simply because they shared on a forum. I am of the opinion that everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal perspective, whether I agree with it or not. The way people are responding to this poster is flat out classless. We do not have to agree with the OP to allow them space to state their views. It doesn't invalidate how anyone feels about their cruise line of choice, but jeez people...it's a cruise line. She's not talking about world peace.

Kindness is free, y'all.

Great post. Sometimes a cruise is not awesome, perfect, and the best ever.

OP, sorry your cruise was disappointing - and how some have reacted to it here.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

This thread is just strange. Granted an old Royal Caribbean ship is compared to newer Carnival ships but the review is an opinion and opinion is not fact. There are a lot of responses from nit pickers and cheerleaders that are also opinion or pointing out what hoops the OP should have jumped through to have the same experience.

Responses like: "You could just go down to guest services and get a Compass" are true but it doesn't make the person's opinion invalid. On Carnival the Funtimes is in your cabin each night and if the interactive TV isn't working then you could be a bit confused.

I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean and Platinum on Carnival and there is a difference in lines and many of those differences are good for some and bad for others. Serenade is not the jewel of the Royal Caribbean crown and I can understand where someone would make some negative comparisons. I personally think the Jewel class ships, Serenade is one, are the some of the most beautiful at sea. Opinion.

One persons grandeur is another person's tacky. So be it.

Take care,

Mike

Well said

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Kindness is free, y'all.

This also applies to the people being critical of the OP, too, though. To me, it's hypocritical to basically say that one person should be allowed to speak their minds without criticism, but others are not.

Obviously the OP by sticking to facts riled up the Kristin Chynowith and Bumper Cars RCL pom pom wavers who are happy to trade good food, and good itineraries for Six Flags at Sea.

I don't know why you are on this thread. From your past chime ins, not likely you have even been on a RCL or Carnival cruise. At least since you've been on cruise critic. Go back to your stuffy cruises where you don't have to endure bumper cars, rope walks and slides.

OK I admit it ! I used the wrong word I should have said Welcoming FEAST:p

The OP didn't say Carnival had a "gala embarkation lunch". She said don't go looking for a "gala" embarkation lunch on Royal. Grammar matters.

You're right. That statement, all by itself, doesn't say that Carnival has gala embarkation lunches. It just accuses Royal of not having one. BUT when you read the content before and after that statement, it's implied. Taking that sentence all by itself takes it out of its intended context (the equivalent of political ads that grasp one statement and twist it).

The OP is admittedly making a comparison between Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and whether you agree with the OP's "opinion" or not, I still think that it's prudent to comment on it, specially when the writing style can be misleading to those not as familiar with what these two cruise lines truly offer.

Please understand that at no point do I approve of the rude and disrespectful comments that undoubtedly this type of review garner.

Per the OP, "This is for those of you who are wondering the difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival."

Generally, what do you think is important to include in a review that you value and consider fair and balanced? For those that are new"ish" to cruising, what do you look for to make your decision to cruise or not cruise another cruise line? Some points that quickly come to mind to consider are:

• It is normal to have loyalty to a cruiseline and this MAY be a factor in a review.
  • When comparing venues, compare like SIZE ships, age of ship, date refurbished.
  • Be cognizant that no experience is perfect and things happen .
  • Research, ask Guest Services or steward about issues. Get your facts straight as much as possible before posting.

What are some other points you consider?

This is the first time that I am writing a review but I feel compelled to do so.

This is for those of you who are wondering the difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival.

We sailed the Caribbean with Carnival Glory in 2010. The Grand Med on the Magic in 2011. Northern Europe and Norway on the Legend in 2013 and now 17th Sept 14 on RC Serenade of the Seas, the Adriatic.

We were obviously spoiled by Carnival as our latest cruise did not meet our expectations at all.

For the first two days we had no idea what was happening on-board as there were no announcements in the room and somehow the daily "Compass" had not been delivered! Our first thought was, did the cruise director jump ship?

(John Heald-we missed you!) Upon enquiring we were told that they stopped making announcements in the rooms as there had been too many complaints...surely the choice should be left to the guest to opt to have the system on or off. So that was a very bad start.

The ship SERENADE OF THE SEAS: Do not expect the grandeur of Carnival's ships. The bars on Serenade are tastefully decorated. The theatre is nothing to write home about and there is only one. The cinema is terrible. There is only has 1 main dining room for its 2100 passengers. The Windjammer is definitely much better in appearance than the Lido but that is where it stops.

There is no serenity, the deck chairs are plain plastic without any cushions, so they are uncomfortable and are crammed so close together that it is difficult to sit down on one as you have to climb onto them...difficult for seniors! They do however have the Solarium which is covered and too hot on a Med cruise. There are only (guestimate) 50 to 80 chairs which are nicely padded with cushions but this is FAR too few for a 2100 passenger ship!

The two pools are very much over salted and hurt your eyes.

The staterooms are much smaller than Carnivals and the bathroom is minute, there is only one wardrobe to be shared (on Carnival you have his and hers) and in it are the worst shelves that I have ever encountered they were hopelessly inadequate in depth therefore whatever you packed on them fell off.

The food: RC must be on a big saving spree, to same food seems to be dished up day after day not much to choose from and is typically canteen type food.

Admittedly Carnival's food was not much better but there was FAR MORE variety to pick from. One thing is to be said, the deserts at the Windjammer were very good. Now and then the Windjammer had something special on offer at 6pm but invariably when we decided to eat there after 7pm these dishes were not replaced and we had to ask the chef why, he then very kindly brought us a big plate of the missing item to our table.

The lunch time menu was disgusting and so was the room service. The room service coffee was undrinkable.

BTW do not expect a "gala" welcoming lunch on embarkation day, you will just get the same slop as any other day!

Oh and I forgot to mention that the best kept secret is when they will serve the shrimps, that day the electronic display of the menu outside the dining room, was mysteriously out of order!!! Gone are the days when they served you lobster!

The entertainment: mediocre to say the least; some shows were not repeated to accommodate both dinner sittings, which was no great loss as they were luke warm. Do not expect illusionists, comedians, acrobats and Las Vegas style dancing. There was one decent show but it lasted only 10min in the sentrum, all this on a 12 night cruise!

Ports of call: These were great, but unless you are going on the ship's excursion do not expect any information to help you find your way in and out of the port, this should be the cruise directors field but no…sort yourself out before the cruise or pay through your neck for the excursions! They also did not stay in port for as long as possible thereby not leaving us enough time to do all we wanted to do.

Customer services: Poorly managed. On embarkation day in Civitavecchia we were told that all Italian passports were to be kept by them but no explanation was given. You would at least expect to receive a copy of an official letter by the Italian authorities informing you of this rule to be applied and the reason why. The second incidence was on the last evening, we received a note saying that we were on a cash basis and had to pay our account. We had given our credit card details TWICE but they did not have it on record! So we had to stand in a queue for 40min to sort this out as they only had 2 consultants to help at such a peak time...most upsetting!

The staff: They were great, well trained and very helpful, no complaints there.

Lastly another annoyance was that they kept on changing the meal times so you could never count on e.g. breakfast to be served until a certain time, they said it all depended on the time we docked in the port.

Yep, we were definitely spoiled by Carnival, unfortunately they are no longer operating in Europe.

A few questions:

1. What "gala" lunch on Carnival are you talking about??

2. Why did you not got to Guest Solutions and get a Cruise Compass if you didn't have one??

3. What announcements in the cabin on Carnival are you talking about?? Carnival only does safety/emergency announcements in the cabin.

4. Carnival often changes breakfast times based on the port schedule so how is that different??

This also applies to the people being critical of the OP, too, though. To me, it's hypocritical to basically say that one person should be allowed to speak their minds without criticism, but others are not.

I absolutely agree that others should be allowed to disagree with the OP and I never said that they shouldn't (My first post stated that I haven't had that happen on RCCL, too). What's not OK is the level of antagonism some of the posters have had toward the OP for their opinion. Expressing that they had a different experience than the OP is a lot different than saying she's lying. The way they've expressed themselves has been downright hateful in some of these posts.

Now, I'm done. ;):) I hope everyone has fabulous cruises and awesome experiences on whatever ship they find themselves. There's nothing quite like it.

The OP described my one and only Carnival cruise. lol the Pride had some of those issues. While I've yet to sail on RCL this was probably the most unbalanced review I've read in awhile. While my carnival cruise wasn't the best it did have some good points. I can't imagine not

Finding some good on a cruise. Lol

Edited by skiwee