Navigator Review 9/21

We booked this cruise just six days before. We had originally booked it months ago and then the DH had some scary medical issues and we cancelled just prior to final payment. We saved our vacation days and got cleared after some major surgery by his doctor to travel. We had first booked a D 1 balcony but the rates were just too high last minute so we booked an inside K and were upgraded to an outside on deck 2. We are Diamond and this cruise made us Diamond plus.

We first planned to leave Dallas at 5 am but then decided to get an airport hotel near Hobby in Houston so we could sleep in. We stayed at the Best Western free with some points. It was adequate for one night and is much cheaper then staying near the port of Galveston. It took us only 45 minutes to drive to the port. The DH dropped off the bags and myself at the pier and then parked at Lighthouse Parking under cover. We usually use the inside parking at the port but of course this was sold out. Check in was fairly quick, the line to get thru security was long but after that was great. We had arrived arrived at the pier at 1045 and even after parking we were on board before 11:30.

Navigator is still in great shape after revitalization. (We had been on her in May also.) we had not had an outside in a long time but it turned out to be a very comfortable room. There was a squeaky crew door below us somewhere that was irritating but we use a sound machine at night. One morning in port there was awful noise below us for about 15 minutes. So be aware if you book deck two you may hear some crew/ ship noise. The other issue was the water temp in our cabin. Two trips from maintenance and it never was right. Too cold and then way too hot. This could happen in any cabin as I think it was in the actual faucet itself.

Food is so subjective. We ate in the MDR each night. Service was slow but our waiter had many tables and it took almost 2 hours each night. Food quality was average but I did think the lobster was actually better this trip. Nothing stands out as being great. There are many good up charge restaurants on this ship so if you are picky use those. The windjammer had no carved meat the first day but it was there after that. We can always find something to eat that doesn't include hamburgers. The chocolate sensation was in the windjammer everyday and is a good lighter choice. We used the cafe promenade for a quick sandwich and got cookies there almost every afternoon. We did use the MDR for a couple of breakfasts and lunches. Service is always quicker and I love the tutti salad at lunch and even get it to go sometimes. Room service breakfast food was barely warm but nice on port days when getting ready to go off the ship.

Bar service is pretty slow everywhere. We were in the solarium every afternoon and I only saw a server walking around once. Not a big deal but you have to go to the bar to get served. For Diamond the cards were loaded for three free drinks before dinner but we found service to be so slow we usually went to the D lounge anyway. The D lounge is wonderful on this ship with great ocean views, appetizers, and good service.

Entertainment this was week was great. We skipped the production shows as we had saw them in May. Comedians were funny not raunchy, ice show is always great. The cruise director is not very energetic but very personable speaking often to those around the ship.

Passenger demographic was interesting...a good mix of young and old, few kids since school was in session. We only saw two in tuxes on formal night, DH wore a suit and tie since we had noted this in May. It seems like cruising on RCL is getting more casual. I still wear a dress every night. We saw more shorts in the dining room on regular nights and noted one lady in house slippers one evening. Really!! Even flip flops are better then that.

Since the DH was recovering from surgery we did easy things in port. In Roatan we went to the Victor Bodden booth and got a private driver for five hours for $40 pp. she showed us the highlights including the monkeys. She stopped where we wanted including a grocery store for there local bottle soda. A relaxing day.

In Belize we booked off the ship since tendering is such a pain there. It was still a lot of waiting in line and very touring. We took a bus to Altun Ha. The Mosquitos were horrid and the trip an hour and 15 minutes each way. Not again.

Cozumel was threatening rain so we simply took a cab downtown, shopped a little, had lunch at señor frogs and cabbed back.

Only really negative crew was in the photo gallery. Not helpful at all. Visit Monica in the pub, she is a sweetheart.

Overall a great relaxing trip which was our goal. We go on Quantum next and then Liberty when she comes to Galveston.

Yep, same guy. Maybe he'll be replaced before my Nov. 30 cruise! Bubba Feathers will still be on board until Dec. 6 according to their web site. I enjoy those guys! So, it wasn'[t Phil Anderson in the Schooner bar?

Phil Anderson was in the schooner bar on both Sept 21 and sept 28th sailings.

Phil in the Schooner bar was, as usual, great! Perfect way to wrap up an evening.

Chops was a surprise! Service and food were truly outstanding!

Izumi was an interesting experience since I do not eat raw dead fish. But there was so much to choose from, the meal was extraordinary.

Giovanni's was truly poor! Food was below average and when a large contingent of crew came in, the staff forgot we existed.

Weather: Flat seas, perfect all week until late Saturday when we got some 6-8 foot swells....just a reminder that our week was over.

PS. World's best dirty martini???? Only when ordered in the cigar bar!!!!!

Which menu was at Chops? I thought there was a new menu, but when trying to book advance reservations, it shows the old menu. Is the old menu back?

I saw the new menu (with extra cost steaks) on Navigator last month.