Advice wanted: Sailing Enchantment of the Seas

LilLady

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise ever at the end of January. We will be sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas for 4 nights, with stops in Nassau & Cococay. Our room is an OV on the 3rd deck.

I'm looking for any advice, tips, things we should make sure to do, things to NOT do, things to pack or not to pack. etc.

Thanks in advance for leading us on the right way.

Edited by LilLady

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise ever at the end of January. We will be sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas for 4 nights, with stops in Nassau & Cococay. Our room is an OV on the 3rd deck.

I'm looking for any advice, tips, things we should make sure to do, things to NOT do, things to pack or not to pack. etc.

Thanks in advance for leading us on the right way.

We just got off the EOS a couple weekends ago. It was a surprisingly good short cruise. Our only bad experience was the toilet not working correctly in our room (deck 7 panoramic OV). We did MyTime dining which worked out great. We never had to wait, but then we ate pretty early each night (5:45). We always plan our meal times around what nightly entertainment we want to do. As it happens, the early time fit all shows we wanted to see.

We did not get off at Nassau so can't help you there. Maybe others can advise on what to do/not do. We decided to spend the morning/early aft in the solarium. Of the two pool areas, this is by far the quietest if you're looking for a relaxing time.

We did get off at Coco Cay and hiked over to Barefoot Beach. It was very peaceful. If you like water sports excursions, there's pretty much something for everyone there. We were not impressed with the bbq lunch, though, and it was tough to find a place to sit. They said it started at noon but we got there at 12:10 and every table was occupied.

Do's onboard- See the production show. It's a collection of musical tributes, if you like that type of thing. We normally don't go to a welcome aboard show but we did on this one because they had a comedian, who was very funny. The comedian also had an adult themed show. Walk around the whole ship. There are some unique and quirky art objects around.

Can't think of any don'ts other than don't forget to relax and have a good time. Being as it is your first ever cruise, just keep in mind that you get out of it what you put into it. Attitude makes a big difference in cruise experiences. If you read through EOS reviews, you'll see this in reviews of the exact same cruise by people with different attitudes.

The enchantment is a lovely ship. I am sure you will have a nice time. The three and four nights sailings are a bit less formal than longer sailings. You may get as dressed up as you like, but you will find most men will not be in tuxedos or suits. You will see a good many sport jackets. Women seem to dress for formally than the men.

We advise first timers to try to get to the shows. If you don't like one you can always leave. Also, regarding dining, it is a good opportunity to try new foods.

Read the ports of call boards for information on your two ports.

Many of the cruise activities on longer cruises are also offered on the three and four nights sailings it can be a busy few days.

I am not sure that the cabins on deck three have a safe. If this is the case, try to remember to bring a luggage lock so that you can store your valuables inside of your suitcase.

If your travel plans permit, plan to be at the port about 11 AM. This will get you on board fairly early and you will be able to enjoy your first day on the ship. Pack a swimsuit (and of course valuables) in a carry-on. If weather permits you can change and enjoy the time by the pool.

Pack half as many clothes and twice as much money. :D

Well, my last advice is to have a great time.

M

We did not get off at Nassau so can't help you there. Maybe others can advise on what to do/not do. We decided to spend the morning/early aft in the solarium. Of the two pool areas, this is by far the quietest if you're looking for a relaxing time.

As of now, we are not planning to get off the ship. We are looking more for fun & relaxing, but not sightseeing & shopping.

Also, forgot to mention that I will be cruising on my birthday! What a way to turn 40!!!

Thank you for the link. But after reading the list I began to wonder. Does RCL provide hair dryers or can I bring my own. I was a little confused by their wording.

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited."

Also, I have seen mentioned in reviews that people bring power strips on board. However, according to the prohibited list, it sounds like they are not allowed.

"Electrical Extension Cords"

Thank you for the link. But after reading the list I began to wonder. Does RCL provide hair dryers or can I bring my own. I was a little confused by their wording.

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited."

Also, I have seen mentioned in reviews that people bring power strips on board. However, according to the prohibited list, it sounds like they are not allowed.

There is a hair dryer in every stateroom. It's the kind that requires you to keep the button continuously pressed for it to stay on. Some have said that it is not powerful enough.

You can bring your own hair dryer, curling iron, and hair straightener.

Edited by clarea

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Yes, that is a fabulous way to celebrate for sure!! We have always brought along a power strip and have never had an issue (we put it in our carry one). Yes, there is a hair dryer on all the ships we have been on.

We just got off the EOS a couple weekends ago. It was a surprisingly good short cruise. Our only bad experience was the toilet not working correctly in our room (deck 7 panoramic OV). We did MyTime dining which worked out great. We never had to wait, but then we ate pretty early each night (5:45). We always plan our meal times around what nightly entertainment we want to do. As it happens, the early time fit all shows we wanted to see.

We did get off at Coco Cay and hiked over to Barefoot Beach. It was very peaceful. If you like water sports excursions, there's pretty much something for everyone there. We were not impressed with the bbq lunch, though, and it was tough to find a place to sit. They said it started at noon but we got there at 12:10 and every table was occupied.

Do's onboard- See the production show. It's a collection of musical tributes, if you like that type of thing. We normally don't go to a welcome aboard show but we did on this one because they had a comedian, who was very funny. The comedian also had an adult themed show. Walk around the whole ship. There are some unique and quirky art objects around.

Can't think of any don'ts other than don't forget to relax and have a good time. Being as it is your first ever cruise, just keep in mind that you get out of it what you put into it. Attitude makes a big difference in cruise experiences. If you read through EOS reviews, you'll see this in reviews of the exact same cruise by people with different attitudes.

May I ask what cabin on Deck 7 you stayed in?? We are booked in a Panoramic OV on Deck 7 as well (but not til next August)...sure hope they fix the toilet by then!!

Enchantment was also our first cruise back in April. It's an excellent way to "get your feet wet" :)

You will be amazed at how big the ship is! (and this is a smaller ship in comparison).

My best advice to you is to read, read, read these boards. I got so much information here and would have been lost without it.

Explore the ship! There is almost nowhere you can't go. Just wander around and see what you find.

Go to breakfast in the MDR. It's first come, first serve but it was so much better than the windjammer and there is no additional cost to this at all. I didn't know that until almost the last morning. Also, on our departure day, we ate at a window table in the MDR and got to watch dolphins playing in the port water - it was pretty cool for our last memory.

And if you love the cruise as much as we did, you'll want to think about booking onboard before you leave. Just know that you need to do that by, I believe 6 p.m., the last night or they won't be open for the remainder of the cruise.

May I ask what cabin on Deck 7 you stayed in?? We are booked in a Panoramic OV on Deck 7 as well (but not til next August)...sure hope they fix the toilet by then!!

Me too. We sail on 10/27 and are booked in an POV on deck 7 as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no must dos' or must not do's...it's YOUR vacation...do what you want!

Pack for the weather in the places you'll be. There is really nothing "ship specific" that you need to bring or buy...the ship is like a hotel, albeit, with smaller rooms! Be prepared for that...it's gonna be tight!

Do get off at Coco Cay (weather permitting), if just to walk on the beach. You can get a tender back to the ship at any time and since they have the BBQ lunch on the island there is less option on board. I've had some perfect days on Coco Cay, just lolling in a hammock with a cooling sea breeze. Also, again weather permitting, watch a sunset at sea.