Stateroom Frustration!

ehyup71

So frustrated right now!!

Leaving on the Grand Princess this coming Friday.

Last Tuesday I received an upgrade from an interior cabin to room P211 Oceanview. Nice right! Except that I notice a "special note: queen bed only" on the upgrade. My travelling friend and I do not want to share a bed, which is why we ask for twin bed configuration when we book. So I e-mail Princess back right away saying we would only accept if the bed was convertible to the twin configuration otherwise we will stay in original.

Thursday I decide I better call Princess (within the 48 hours) to make sure they knew since I don't always trust email. The agent I got at Princess immediately told me that ALL staterooms on princess cruises convert to twin setup. I asked her why then the special note on the file. Then she got confused, put me on hold, came back on and said she sent a note out to 'dispatch' and could I call back tomorrow.

Friday I call Princess again. The agent I get tells me he doesn't see any note on my file from the agent the night before. He tells me, I don't know why they would have put you in that room if you requested twin beds though, it does have a cabin note that says queen bed only. So he tells me he is putting in a request to change or go back to original cabin and give it 48 hours to be done.

It is now Monday morning. Checked online and nothing has changed on our stateroom. Called Princess AGAIN. The agent this morning tells me yes we have requested the twin bed setup. I tell her, but we are still showing in room P211 that says queen bed only. She says it will be configured to twin...as she starts to read the note in the file from the last agent she asks to put me on hold. Comes back on the line a few minutes later and says... oh I see they just started working on this file at 8:56am (I called at 9:00 am). If you don't get a notice of change can you call back again at the end of the day.

Cruise leaves in FOUR days. I am just getting the run-around from them now or what? Why do I keep getting different information from the agents at Princess, and how can they not know the stateroom details and configurations on the ships they are selling??

This is my first cruise with Princess as I wanted to give them a try... but already feeling frustrated.

I always thought that as well. Every cruise I have been on has had that configuration.

I have also never seen a special cabin note that says "Queen bed only".

When I checked the princess website deck plans for Grand stateroom P211 on the Plaza deck and clicked on details, it also says in red capital letter at the bottom "QUEEN BED ONLY"

Edited by ehyup71

My suggestions.

1. If you use a TA, get him/her involved.

2. Call Princess back right away and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell the CS person, no ifs, ands or buts.

If this sailing is not sold out, just tell them you need a cabin with Twin Beds and nothing else will do.;) Be tough but pleasant.

In 2012 we were upgraded to P211 on Grand Princess. We did have a queen bed. My Mom and cousin were upgraded to the room right beside us

(P217) and they had their beds as twins.

Hope all works out for you... we are on this cruise as well.

Theresa

The Grand is unique.

We were assigned a cabin that said same thing, Queen bed only. Not only that it also said no nightstands. This was midship on Caribe . I know there are several cabins on that ship with same situation.

We called right away and they gave us a different cabin in same category.

Poster doesn't have to go back to original cabin(Inside) if same as what assigned has other cabins available.

For us Queen bed was fine. It was the no nightstands that was the deal breaker.

Edited by san diego sue

As an office person (with years of experience), I will only call back once to get a straight answer. After that, its time for someone with a bit more knowledge and experience to take care of whatever issue there might be.

May I suggest you call back and request a supervisor and explain that you have tried three times with no results. Usually that does the trick once you explain that you have had tried to get your issue resolved with no results.

I hope that if you don't get your original cabin back that at least you get one with twin beds as you requested. Good luck! :)

Okay.. so here is where things stand right now.

After my 4th phone call to Princess tonight and explaining for the 4th time about the QUEEN BED only note on the upgrade notice to P211 I was put on hold while the agent i was dealing with (who was very nice) went to speak to her Supervisor.

After holding off and on for over half and hour while they sent a message off to the Dispatcher who does the cabin assignments for the Grand Princess I have been ASSURED that cabin P211 does convert to the twin bed configuration, that it is noted on my file, and there will be no problems on board with the cabin.

I have written down both the Supervisor and the Dispatchers name.

I guess now I will just have to wait until I get on board Friday to know for sure. I am still concerned that the bed will only configure QUEEN, because otherwise why would there be a special note on the notice and also on the website when you pull up cabin P211.

Hoping for the best, but I will be taking a trip to the front desk if I get on board and it turns out to be only a QUEEN bed. Although I don't know what they would be able to do at that point since it is sold out sailing. :confused:

Yes, a few of the Plaza deck forward cabins on the Grand-class ships are queen only. These cabins do not have room to separate the queen into two twins due to the layout of the cabin, with the hull of the ship curving inward towards the bow. I found this out when I was "upgraded" to one once, but was able to get changed to another cabin before sailing.

Best of luck to you.

So Princess has ASSURED me that cabin P211 on the Grand Princess does indeed configure to the twin bed setup.

I commented on their facebook page yesterday about the situation and the four phone calls to Princess to try and get a solid, confirmed answer.

This morning, I received a voicemail on my cellphone from one of the Customer Service managers who has assured me that this cabin does configure twin, even though the website and the upgrade document said queen bed only. She said she personally emailed the ship to make sure that when we board on Friday our stateroom will be exactly how we requested.

I have saved the voicemail and will be able to play it back to anyone who needs to hear it if there are any problems on Friday. Feeling more confident now! :)

So Princess has ASSURED me that cabin P211 on the Grand Princess does indeed configure to the twin bed setup.

This makes sense. They may have a reason as to why they prefer the cabin to be a Queen Bed only, and in fact, the layout may favor that. But I can think of no reasons based on the laws of physics or nature that would make it impossible for them to split the beds into twins. Perhaps the gap between the beds will not be as wide as usual. And perhaps the overall configuration may be sub-optimal. But to think that it cannot be done is pure nonsense.

...Perhaps the gap between the beds will not be as wide as usual. And perhaps the overall configuration may be sub-optimal. But to think that it cannot be done is pure nonsense.

Unless the cabin has a one-piece queen mattress to prevent unsafe separation of the bed into two twins. I saw one of these cabins briefly, but didn't check out this aspect. If you have Princess' assurance, then JimmyVWine should be correct, and worse case you will have two twins close together.

I can't imagine why Princess can't just swap your cabin for another couple's cabin on a guarantee who want a queen configuration?

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

I commented on their facebook page yesterday about the situation and the four phone calls to Princess to try and get a solid, confirmed answer.

This morning, I received a voicemail on my cellphone from one of the Customer Service managers who has assured me that this cabin does configure twin, even though the website and the upgrade document said queen bed only. She said she personally emailed the ship to make sure that when we board on Friday our stateroom will be exactly how we requested.

I have saved the voicemail and will be able to play it back to anyone who needs to hear it if there are any problems on Friday. Feeling more confident now! :)

I hope that's the case. Maybe if there's nightstands on either side and that it's not a queen mattress, things could be adjusted for you.

It seems very strange to me that Princess Deck plans show "1 Queen Bed Only" as a special note...in red...yet Princess agents are telling you something different. I would ask that they send you an e-mail with their information so that you have something in writing with which to strengthen your "I was told" case should you need it! I am inclined to think that the deck plan is most likely correct!

You can listen to the recording as you snuggle with your traveling companion in your queen bed...

Hopefully things do work out but if they were stating QUEEN BED ONLY on the deck plans there is likely some reason for them to do so.