Celebrity Silhouette vs Independence of the Seas

OfTheSeasCruiser

We had never considered Celebrity as an option for our cruise, but some family members showed a little bit of interest in the line. We love Royal, their ships, the food, and the service, but will we feel the same way on Celebrity?

I've read many times how Celebrity is more subdued, but how subdued? Is there Caribbean music by the pool on sea days for example? What time will the ship go to into the night?

Both the Independence and the Silhouette come out to be within $100 dollars of each other. On Silhouette, we'd probably stay in a Concierge class cabin. The itinerary on Indy is 8 days as opposed to 7 on the Silhouette, but the extra day isn't really a deciding factor, I'm more interested in the comparison between the two lines.

We're Loyal to Royal as well and we love their ships. 2 years ago, my wife saw an amazing European itinerary on Celebrity and after alot of thought we decided to try them out since Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are sister-companies.

We had earlier sailed on The Mariner of the Seas and The Adventure of the Seas, so we were used to that sized ships. The Silhouette was a tad smaller but overall much better. We loved the top/pool deck which was exactly like Royal Caribbean. Nice Caribbean/ international music, laid back atmosphere, good mix of kids, youngsters and older couples and families. Felt like we were yet on Royal.

Some things that were better on Celebrity Silhouette - The Food was excellent. The Mast Grill with their burgers (beef, turkey and Vegetarian burgers) were top notch. The oceanview cafe layout was better than the Windjammer cafe, but the same awesome views from large windows.

Some things that we missed - The awesome promenade in the middle of the ship (Silhouette has it as well, but slightly smaller). No mini Golf Course, no ice skating rink.

If you are thinking of trying out a new ship, but all means try Celebrity Silhouette. The staff is just as friendly as the staff on Royal Caribbean. The atmosphere is not formal, I felt quite at home on Celebrity. Although I am dying to try out Royal's larger ships (Pretty far away from India) :(

We had never considered Celebrity as an option for our cruise, but some family members showed a little bit of interest in the line. We love Royal, their ships, the food, and the service, but will we feel the same way on Celebrity?

I've read many times how Celebrity is more subdued, but how subdued? Is there Caribbean music by the pool on sea days for example? What time will the ship go to into the night?

Both the Independence and the Silhouette come out to be within $100 dollars of each other. On Silhouette, we'd probably stay in a Concierge class cabin. The itinerary on Indy is 8 days as opposed to 7 on the Silhouette, but the extra day isn't really a deciding factor, I'm more interested in the comparison between the two lines.

We sailed on Silhouette this past April and then embarked on Indy straight after (similar to a B2B but on different ships). We much preferred Silhouette, mainly due to the better food and service provided. We loved the experience at the Lawn Club Grill and the general laid-back feeling. It also felt less crowded than Indy. Our kids thought the teen club was brilliant :).

All that being said, it depends on what you're looking for in a cruise vacation. X is more subdued and you won't get the belly flop contest or all the activities such as the flowrider etc., however, one of the best shows we have ever seen on a cruise ship (discounting the broadway productions on the mega ships) was on Constellation touring the Baltics. Most shows on cruises are generic, but the Russian Folk performers on Connie were definitely memorable. So, it can also depend on the itinerary and the time of sailing as to whether it's for you ;).

We cruise both Royal and Celebrity and like both lines. Having said that we really dislike the Freedom class of ships, which includes the Independence. It just left us cold, there are no quiet areas to enjoy, music blaring everywhere all the time. It just felt like an oversized Mariner, without the charm of that class. Portofinos was very mediocre, MDR was passable although service was good. We love the JS category on Royal and that IS better than a CC on Celebrity in our opinion. The Silhouette is our favorite ship .... of any line so this would be a no brainer for us. She is classy, has great Spec. Rest, including the Lawn Club Grill...a totally unique experience at sea, better entertainment in the theater on Silhouette too.

We tried our 1st Celebrity in May (Silhouette) and have sailed Indy's sister ship Freedom OTS in the past. IF I were taking teens, I'd go with Indy. All adults? Silhouette. We liked the Silhouette better because of the martini/molecular bar and Tuscan Grill. BUT it is more Radiance sized. Indy is larger. I don't know anything about you, so I can't really say what you'd like. If our 20 year old sons were going, we'd head to RCCL. We've done Holland and I felt it was the most sedate. We also did a very port intensive cruise on the Silhouette so we were beat in the evenings (Oh and Qsine was fun!)

After 3 cruises on the Silhouette we did a mini cruise on the IOS last October. We enjoyed both and in many ways there were some things that Celebrity did better and some things that RCI did better. Ironically the formal night was more formal on IOS but that was probably because she was sailing from Southampton.

We don't have children and have to sail in the school holidays - it was ok at Half Term in October but there is no way that we'd try it in Summer, but if we had children it would be a different story.

I have to say that the cabin we had on IOS was stunning - with a huge balcony at the very front that gave us a view straight ahead as well as to the side. It was big enough to organise a dance on with amazing views.

The staff on RCI were interested to ask us about Celebrity as they were under the impression that Celebrity is seen as being that 'notch' higher.

We weren't too keen on the main shop area on the IOS, but it had a great atmosphere for shows at night. We loved the wrap round prom deck though - something the Silhouette doesn't have.

I could go on and on - to be honest, if you are prepared to do your homework re the different cruise lines and just accept them for what they are once onboard you will have a great time on either.

Happy cruising

If you are considering an upgrade to Celebrity why not go the distance miss out Celebrity and consider the class of CUNARD;)

The atmosphere on Celebrity is more sedate than RCI. There is entertainment but not as much of it, a show usually before dinner for late diners and after dinner for early diners, and entertainment in the Ensemble Lounge and atrium at night. Cruises of course vary as to how lively they are, the Celebrity cruises we have taken have not had a lot going on late in the evening. Celebrity is really about elegance, excellent service and food, beautiful and refined ships ---- but it's also more about enjoying your own company and that of your traveling companions. I certainly wouldn't call it dead, but it will be quieter than what you are used to. We haven't yet found a cruise line that is perfect for us in every way, but we do try to appreciate the strengths of each ship we are on.