Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

Well, if it was on the news, it must be true! Why do all those so-called medical professionals think they are smarter than FOX or CNN? Obviously what those charlatans need to do is read Cruise Critic because all of the experts on Ebola are right here posting their "informed" opinions.

Absolutely hilarious! If it is reported by the talking heads on the so called "news" programs then it must be true. ROFL

In answer to the OP, yes we are still cruising as we have a greater chance of dying from a heart attack due to the abundant food on board.

Absolutely hilarious! If it is reported by the talking heads on the so called "news" programs then it must be true. ROFL

In answer to the OP, yes we are still cruising as we have a greater chance of dying from a heart attack due to the abundant food on board.

Hey...... I believe I already said that when I mentioned gaining 1 pound per day...LOL

That was not my point. My point was that Princess's statement (about denying boarding to certain categories of passengers) is meant to reassure us, but it is impossible to back up with any effective action. I'd be interested to hear if anyone is "successfully" screened out and denied boarding under the new measures.

I would imagine the possibility of successfully screening out and denying boarding to a potential passenger to equal the possibility of catching Ebola in the first place.

The nurses did everything right. How did they catch it? If they are concerned. . .

The nurses did what they were told but it wasn't right. They administered to the patient for two to three days before starting to wear protective covering.

Praying that the family who was in the apartment with Mr. Duncan remain symptom free.

Praying that the two nurses and the NBC reporter, who has not been mentioned lately, recovers. ( he was the person that NBC's Dr Snyderman had contact with)

Praying that the lab worker remains healthy.

Thankful that the first two medical personnel have recovered.

Edited by redtogo

Everywhere you have used your passport is recorded in a database. It would be no problem for Princess to cross check where you have been 21 days before boarding.

I suspect that government privacy rules would not allow the dissemination of this information.

Praying that the family who was in the apartment with Mr. Duncan remain symptom free.

Praying that the two nurses and the NBC reporter, who has not been mentioned lately, recovers. ( he was the person that NBC's Dr Snyderman had contact with)

Praying that the lab worker remains healthy.

Thankful that the first two medical personnel have recovered.

Amen to that.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I disagree.

Wow, something we finally agree on! :D

We have to hand over our passports at checkin and it would be fairly easy for the agent to thumb through the last few pages to see if there were any stamps from affected countries within the last 21 days. The only problem with that is if the person was only in transit in an affected area they wouldn't necessarily get a stamp. That would be where the government databases would be needed, and in my opinion they should give an easy yes or no at a minimum to Princess for screening purposes.

We have to hand over our passports at checkin and it would be fairly easy for the agent to thumb through the last few pages to see if there were any stamps from affected countries within the last 21 days. The only problem with that is if the person was only in transit in an affected area they wouldn't necessarily get a stamp. That would be where the government databases would be needed, and in my opinion they should give an easy yes or no at a minimum to Princess for screening purposes.

If it doesn't already exist, I forsee a SmartPassport card that we have to swipe while traveling - when we enter and leave a country. No more stamps, just a swipe. Without the swipe, you will not be allowed to clear customs. The customs officer will only have to swipe your card through his device, to see where you have been and to see if you were in a country with a travel advisory.

Is it wrong of me to hope that Fear-Bola will drive down the price of my cruise next year?

Probably. ;) However, this hysteria seems to be spreading, so after, God forbid, a second person dies in the USA from the disease, the hysterical will be cancelling cruises all over the place.

You are absolutely right! We should all stay home in self-imposed isolation until someone develops an Ebola vaccine. Why risk going anywhere for anything if there's even a teeny weeny itty bitty chance of catching the disease from all the sneezing Ebola patients wandering up and down the highways on our buses? You have convinced me! :p

No, I didn't say that, either. I'm just pointing out that the CDC is incompetent and that anecdotal evidence is still evidence worth considering.

I'm taking a cruise in November. Probably.

I don't think my passport has been closely scrutinized since I entered Eastern Europe in the early 1980s. Even entering China it warranted no second glance (and I had extra pages in it then, and there was plenty to scrutinize if they had wanted to). And stamps are becoming increasingly rare; it's mostly visas that fill passports now.

Why would anyone be concerned about catching Ebola on a cruise? It's not airborne, you'd have to have direct contact with the fluids from someone exhibiting symptoms, Princess (or any other line) wouldn't fly crew (if there were any which I don't think there are) directly from West Africa to the ship, and cruise ships are no longer stopping in West Africa.

You are thousands of times more likely to get a cold or the flu.

It's interesting that all of reported cases in the US of someone "exhibiting symptoms" have all been negative. The only real cases have been someone returning from West Africa or was in direct physical contact with someone with Ebola.

There's far more hysteria than fact or reality. FYI, I'm going back to Africa for another safari next year and I'm astonished at the number of people concerned about my doing so. I'll be no where near West Africa nor do I plan on being in close physical contact to the point of exchanging bodily fluids.

This is all the more reason to take a Safari. Just like the swine flu people cancelled their trips. If I go to Africa on a Safari next year and save money and not have many people on my Safari than all the better. People don't realize the money they can save if they are not afraid of the risks.

For instance after 9/11 I flew and purchased some deeply discounted airfare and enjoyed having the plane half empty. I stayed at some nice resorts too. During Summer 2002 I scored an airfare from San Francisco-Paris on Air France with hotel for 14 days for $1,500 and they upgraded me to Business Class too.

Edited by travelplus

I'm just pointing out that the CDC is incompetent and that anecdotal evidence is still evidence worth considering.

Just curious as to what qualifications you have in order to make such a statement?

I have a couple of friends among their 15000+ employees and the CDC has some of the brightest minds in the field as far as I am concerned.

Mike:)

Look at the facts and put things in perspective.

One (1) man travelled from Liberia (one of only three countries in the entire world where Ebola currently is endemic to the United States). He had contracted the disease in Liberia and was ill when he travelled.

Because of lapses in the proper use of protective clothing, a hospital worker may have contracted the disease. She is being treated.

Two other American health workers contracted Ebola while treating patients in Liberia. Both were treated in the United States. Both survived. Neither infected any one else.

To err on the side of safety several Americans are under 21 day quarantine to assure they did not contract the disease and do not somehow pass it on.

Medically and statistically your chances of contracting Ebola in the United States is very near zero. It is raised above zero if you are a medical worker treating an Ebola patient and somehow come in contact with infected body fluids.

Meanwhile influenza will kill between 30- 40,000 Americans this year. Get your flu shot.

Malaria will kill well over 1 million world wide.

Edited by Roses2

Look at the facts and put things in perspective.

One (1) man travelled from Liberia (one of only three countries in the entire world where Ebola currently is endemic to the United States). He had contracted the disease in Liberia and was ill when he travelled.

Because of lapses in the proper use of protective clothing, a hospital worker may have contracted the disease. She is being treated.

Two other American health workers contracted Ebola while treating patients in Liberia. Both were treated in the United States. Both survived. Neither infected any one else.

To err on the side of safety several Americans are under 21 day quarantine to assure they did not contract the disease and do not somehow pass it on.

Medically and statistically your chances of contracting Ebola in the United States is very near zero. It is raised above zero if you are a medical worker treating an Ebola patient and somehow come in contact with infected body fluids.

Meanwhile influenza will kill between 30- 40,000 Americans this year. Get your flu shot.

Appreciate your post. One quibble. We don't know how the two nurses contracted the disease. You're assuming it's because of improper protective clothing. We don't know for a fact - yet.

I got my flu shot yesterday, so I'd have the antibodies built up in time for our sailing in three weeks. I think we all forget just how many people the flu kills each year. I also packed my insect repellent; more concerned about chikungunya than malaria, but either way I want to be safe.

Hear you BUT the market being down has nothing to do with Ebola.

LuLu

Most of the business shows on CNBC, Fox Business and PBS said Ebola WAS the cause of the big drop in airline and cruise line stocks. They also said that Ebola and the way it has been handled or mishandled is creating uncertainty, and the markets hate uncertainty. So, it has contributed to the fluctuations in the market.

Most of the business shows on CNBC, Fox Business and PBS said Ebola WAS the cause of the big drop in airline and cruise line stocks. They also said that Ebola and the way it has been handled or mishandled is creating uncertainty, and the markets hate uncertainty. So, it has contributed to the fluctuations in the market.

Since it was on tv then that must be the reason for the market downtown as we know they would never report anything erroneous.;)

Mike:)