Formal Nights - What can I get away with?

andnosyd

I'm trying to pack and realized I about hit the luggage limit and I still haven't packed for formal nights. Is a dinner jacket ok or do I need a full dark suit? Can't remember what people generally wear on HAL. Thanks!

A dinner jacket is fine. So is any kind of blazer or sport jacket. Does not have to be a matching suit.

Depending on the host or maitre d', some of them allow men in with no jacket but I wouldn't count on that.

I'm trying to pack and realized I about hit the luggage limit and I still haven't packed for formal nights. Is a dinner jacket ok or do I need a full dark suit? Can't remember what people generally wear on HAL. Thanks!

What cruise are you on? a 7day Alaska or Carribean would be different from a Grand Voyage or even one of the longer cruises. On those people dress up more.

Have to say I was pretty dissapointed with the formal nights last week with HAL.. Seemed you could pretty much wear what you wanted - baseball caps included (dont get me wrong plenty made the effort but it seemed a minority)..

Have to say I was pretty dissapointed with the formal nights last week with HAL.. Seemed you could pretty much wear what you wanted - baseball caps included (dont get me wrong plenty made the effort but it seemed a minority)..

We have noticed that as well.

One time on a smart casual night, a couple showed up in the Pinnacle wearing jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps. And nothing was said to them.

Wear your sports jacket, with a rolled tie in the pocket, on the plane. Note that in all discussions of attire and dress codes, shoes are not mentioned. If you have foot issues, nobody will look down on you if you wear comfortable hiking shoes on Formal night.

Sail Seven -

Shoes would set it off well.

:p

I try to give people basic credit for the smallest of common sense and intelligence. :) One would think they could figure out shoes and a shirt would be great accessories to add. :D :cool:

Should I mention socks and underwear, too?

Wear your sports jacket, with a rolled tie in the pocket, on the plane. Note that in all discussions of attire and dress codes, shoes are not mentioned. If you have foot issues, nobody will look down on you if you wear comfortable hiking shoes on Formal night.

So are slippers if you have a foot issue.

We just did a repositioning cruise from Vancouver with a Mexico cruise add to that, and was pleasantly surprise how many people dressed up on formal night. I don't know if it was because we had lots of Canadians on board or what but for whatever reason, they dressed better than we have seen for awhile.

I agree with others a dinner jacket will be just fine. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Why not just review HAL's recommended dress code, which is fairly flexible, and simply comply with it?

There really isn't a luggage limit (within reason) as you can always pay for another piece of checked luggage. It might be worth the extra $50 to a make the cruise more enjoyable.

igraf

Just about anything goes with the loosely enforced HAL dress code.

I don't think that is fair info to give out. What if the OP takes you seriously and ends up on a ship where the MDR Manager enforces the dress code? Some of us who cruise HAL have seen that happen.

A jacket/tie is necessary. FYI, your question is perfectly valid. I cannot figure out why people would question why you are asking it. Must be a full moon!

The op doesn't mention the itinerary. Can make a big difference.

We did the 12 day Spain cruise last month and we saw no one without a jacket at dinner on formal nights..at least in traditional seatings. Really...I make it a point to watch out of curiosity.;)

That being said, on a Carib 7 dayer there are cruisers that tend to ignore dress guidelines.

Due to the many comments on frequent threads on this subject I was thinking of bringing a mere business suit for formal nights. But I am now confident I will not be the only one to wear a dinner jacket (I mean that in the traditional definition, i.e. a tuxedo) and my wife will bring at least one long dress (a simple one, not a "Cinderella" ball gown).

Due to the many comments on frequent threads on this subject I was thinking of bringing a mere business suit for formal nights. But I am now confident I will not be the only one to wear a dinner jacket (I mean that in the traditional definition, i.e. a tuxedo) and my wife will bring at least one long dress (a simple one, not a "Cinderella" ball gown).

As I type this my DH is sorting his tux accessories deciding what tie/vest/cummerbund combinations to pack. He won't give it up - yet.

You can probably get away with almost anything you like. Just don't flaunt it--- you can probably get away with a collared shirt and any pants other than jeans. You might even get away with less, but the risk gets higher that you won't be allowed in the MDR. There is barely a dress code any more and what little remnant is left is barely enforced. The people on Cruise Critic are mostly the old guard who would like to see people dress up. If you don't feel like dressing up, don't worry. You'll have plenty of company and will fit right in.

As I type this my DH is sorting his tux accessories deciding what tie/vest/cummerbund combinations to pack. He won't give it up - yet.

Way to go, Vern! :)

Edited by POA1