Bridge director

Sidney24

Princess drastically cut back on bridge directors earlier this year. I am pretty sure they are only on world cruises.

There was extensive discussion of the change when it was announced. You might try searching if you want to get more info.

Sydney,

A couple of years ago we were on a cruise where the Director was also teaching.

As he was teaching Standard American, he did not wish to confuse his students which meant that he discouraged anyone playing other systems from taking part.

Ok, we all play slightly different variants of whatever convention we use, which is why we all either carry convention cards (or list our conventions on the front of our scorecard) and I am sure that if I had persisted I would have been permitted to play, but it was only one day, when I had nothing better to do and it wasn't worth making an issue of it.

Sydney,

As he was teaching Standard American, he did not wish to confuse his students which meant that he discouraged anyone playing other systems from taking part.

Ok, we all play slightly different variants of whatever convention we use, which is why we all either carry convention cards (or list our conventions on the front of our scorecard) and I am sure that if I had persisted I would have been permitted to play, but it was only one day, when I had nothing better to do and it wasn't worth making an issue of it.

I am surprised the director would discourage anyone playing other that Standard American from participating. When we have played on Princess ships there have been players from various countries who played various systems. When we encounter a system we are not familiar with, we just ask about the bid(s)

I am surprised the director would discourage anyone playing other that Standard American from participating. When we have played on Princess ships there have been players from various countries who played various systems. When we encounter a system we are not familiar with, we just ask about the bid(s)

Maybe it was because I politely asked if it would be a problem expecting him to say "not at all", only to have him respond by saying that "he didn't want to have people playing different systems as it would confuse the 'students'".

So, to be fair, I guess that, by asking the question, I rather invited the rejection.

Sydney,

Ok, we all play slightly different variants of whatever convention we use, which is why we all either carry convention cards (or list our conventions on the front of our scorecard) and I am sure that if I had persisted I would have been permitted to play, but it was only one day, when I had nothing better to do and it wasn't worth making an issue of it.[/quote

If a person is teaching bridge, he will state the system, and then teach it. IMO it would confuse a student who had been taught a different system, to sit in on something different.

A partnership may play any system that they wish, but, it MUST be stated before play commences, so that questions may be asked by opponents as play progresses.

john

On many of our cruises, the director has set up a separate game for beginners. It is usually just rubber bridge. If the Director is actually a couple (usually the case), one will run the duplicate game while the other works with the beginner group.

On many of our cruises, the director has set up a separate game for beginners. It is usually just rubber bridge. If the Director is actually a couple (usually the case), one will run the duplicate game while the other works with the beginner group.

Yes, this is always a good plan, it helps to keep beginners happy.

john

Many of us miss having a Bridge Director .... :(

LuLu

Yes, it is a shame they got rid of the Director.

Due to health problems, we have not cruised since the dropping of the director. If anyone has cruised, has there been any semi-organized duplicate on sea days?

Yes, it is a shame they got rid of the Director.

Due to health problems, we have not cruised since the dropping of the director. If anyone has cruised, has there been any semi-organized duplicate on sea days?

Princess now has a "Bridge Players Get Together" on sea days. At least we met other bridge players .... :rolleyes:

We only went a couple of times. Just not the same.

Hope your health problems are resolved and you'll be cruising again soon!

LuLu

Princess now has a "Bridge Players Get Together" on sea days. At least we met other bridge players .... :rolleyes:

We only went a couple of times. Just not the same.

Hope your health problems are resolved and you'll be cruising again soon!

LuLu

LuLu,

Thanks. I think my wife is finally on the mend. We will have to see how she does.

BTW, where is SC are you. We are outside of Greenville near Furman University and Travelers Rest.

This is sad news, we have really enjoyed playing bridge on sea days. I dont see how if would have cost Princess that much, they usually gave the director a discount on an inside room and they gifts they gave were just Princess trinkets. I hear they have also cancelled poker tournaments, which my husband will miss.Have they also cancelled karaoke?

LuLu,

Thanks. I think my wife is finally on the mend. We will have to see how she does.

BTW, where is SC are you. We are outside of Greenville near Furman University and Travelers Rest.

Happy to hear your wife is doing better now.:) Great News! :D

We're from Columbia. Roundman's dad graduated from Furman ages ago.

Our very good long time friends who live in Greenville are going to stop by tomorrow to watch the Cocks game with us on their way to the beach.

LuLu

omg its taken me reading all the way down to post 15 to realise what you were all talking about. the bridge to me ( i work in a nautical college ) is the place the crew/capton are in, but only when i got to page 15 did i realise that you were all talking about a card game called bridge , and it was a teachers for card games. hahahaha :o

omg its taken me reading all the way down to post 15 to realise what you were all talking about. the bridge to me ( i work in a nautical college ) is the place the crew/capton are in, but only when i got to page 15 did i realise that you were all talking about a card game called bridge , and it was a teachers for card games. hahahaha :o

The story goes that one time the Cruise Directors, husband and wife, had to be put in a cabin with the ships' officers. The first evening they had several drinks, and staggered back to their cabin around midnight. They were intercepted by the officer of the watch, who informed them that passengers were not allowed in the officers quartered.

'Thatsh all right offisher,' one of them slurred, 'w'ere the Bridge Directors'.

'You'r the WHAT', came the astounded reply.

john

hahaha, no they were supposed to be smiley faces but did not come out like that lol. i dont play cards other than solitaire, im afraid im number dyslexic, they just baffle me completely. its like looking at a foreign language. ah and ive just found the smiley icons whoopeee :)

Edited by buchananglasgow