Bridge director

Sidney24

Friends of mine were bridge directors on a Cunard cruise this summer. They slept in a staff cabin (same as the guest entertainers) but got to eat their meals in the dining room at an assigned table. The wife ran the game for experienced players, while the husband handled a game for novices. She gave the lectures before the games as well. He said there was an enthusiastic group of bridge players on the cruise. The biggest game they had was more than 30 tables counting both groups.

Friends of mine were bridge directors on a Cunard cruise this summer. They slept in a staff cabin (same as the guest entertainers) but got to eat their meals in the dining room at an assigned table. The wife ran the game for experienced players, while the husband handled a game for novices. She gave the lectures before the games as well. He said there was an enthusiastic group of bridge players on the cruise. The biggest game they had was more than 30 tables counting both groups.

I have played in some big games too in the past, but it seems that Princess in its infinite wisdom could care less about bridge players.

john

I have played in some big games too in the past, but it seems that Princess in its infinite wisdom could care less about bridge players.

john

I think that might be a little extreme, but would certainly say they care more about the almighty dollar than bridge players.

I haven't seen anything indicating the size of the on board bridge games has been increasing, decreasing or staying the same

I have seen numerous BRIDGE organisations selling bridge cruises however besides not having the choice of itinerary, cruise line etc the price is HIGHLY marked up. These seem to sell well therefore I believe the cruise lines are missing a easy selling tool. They do however need to cover beginners as well as intermediate as I have heard of cruisers saying useless director just looked after people who had played bridge or waste of time director stated from very beginning etc,

Must admit I now prefer to just play duplicate rather than have lessons

but this still requires a bridge director.

I have seen numerous BRIDGE organisations selling bridge cruises however besides not having the choice of itinerary, cruise line etc the price is HIGHLY marked up. These seem to sell well therefore I believe the cruise lines are missing a easy selling tool. They do however need to cover beginners as well as intermediate as I have heard of cruisers saying useless director just looked after people who had played bridge or waste of time director stated from very beginning etc,

Must admit I now prefer to just play duplicate rather than have lessons

but this still requires a bridge director.

One problem that Princess has, is that not many ships seem to have suitable venues these days fo bridge.

john

Please don't take this the wrong way I'm just curious.

Why do bridge players expect to have a facilitator for their games? Is it just tradition or is it something else?

How many typically attend these games? Is it very itinerary dependent?

Why do bridge players expect to have a facilitator for their games? Is it just tradition or is it something else?

How many typically attend these games? Is it very itinerary dependent?

Many of us belong to the Bridge Club, ACBL, playing what we call 'Duplicate Bridge', covering North America, while other countries have similar clubs. We compete between ourselves, and the Director, organizes the cards for each event, maintains control of up to 100 players, scores, and prints the results, with the points, which when at sea, are usually Black to the top performers.

Earlier, in my retirement I used to play 30+ hours per week, but this style of play can't be duplicated {no pun intended}, in casual play, which is often called Kitchen Bridge, which is now what we are reduced to on our Princess Cruises.

As players we spend between $3.00 to $25.00+ usually 3+ hours per session depending on the classification of the event.

This is a very brief explanation of our game, a could continue, BUT, I am leaving to play Bridge.

john

In truth, I suspect that it is not so much the need for a 'referee' when playing competitive (duplicate) bridge but more a case of the Director bringing the equipment with him.

At my local club, we have a Director (my regular partner) who also plays and if we need a ruling, even though we could both give a fair ruling, out of the need to be transparently fair to our opponents, we always ask another 'Director' to rule. Similarly I am sure that enough experienced players could be found to organise and run an on board event whilst also taking part themselves.

However, in order to have a competitive game, it is necessary for have an arrangement where everyone plays the same boards. This is achieved by having a 'movement' whereby after they are dealt and played for the first time, the hands are preserved and players and boards move around the tables in a sequence which ensures that at the end of the competition, everyone playing N-S has played everyone playing E-W and everyone has played every board.

The way this is achieved is by having special wallets which the dealt hands are placed in after they are first dealt, score slips which go into pockets in the wallet and score cards for each player to use.

However, whilst I am sure that there would be enough people familiar enough with the these movements / sequences and the rules to allow a competition to be run, the sequence requires typically between 24 and 32 packs of cards and wallets which are probably not available unless brought on board by the official Director.

The Director will probably also bring on board a set of what we call bidding boxes (four needed for each table) and whilst it would be possible to organise an event without bidding boxes the other bits are really essential.

Without these bits of equipment, sadly it is not possible to organise a 'duplicate' event and so, the bottom line is that it is not that a non-playing independent Director is essential, but more a case that it is the equipment he brings with that is essential.

Hope that answers your question.

NOTE TO BRIDGE PLAYERS:

Yup we could not be awarded Master Points, if we played as above, but are points really that important when we are on holiday?

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Years ago, as a total rookie, my wife and I were looking for a bridge game, on 'Song of America' and found a small, private ACBL club from the USA on board, and as two more players were needed, we were asked to join them, they had a private room.

A few months later I got a parcel in the mail with two ACBL medals, and, several months later I got a third from the same club. It seems that the points that I had earned in Canada had been sent to their club, which was I believe against the rules. Very confusing, but I was advised to hang on to the medals anyway.

john