2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Common sense is an increasingly rare commodity nowadays.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if she did check with the CDC beforehand and was told it was fine. She never came into direct contact with Mr Duncan (as reported so far) so would have been considered low risk. Heck - they let one of the women who nursed him directly get on a plane.

More facts are needed before blame is apportioned.

Point taken :)

Side note: I like that you disagreed without flaming--I enjoy a good debate. Keeps my brain sharp :)

Edited by keywest1
add comment

One would think that as cautious as cruise ships are about people boarding with ANY type of virus...intestinal, rhino, flu..., the healthcare worker would have had an inkling that she shouldn't go on the cruise after possible exposure to the Ebola virus.

One would think that as cautious as cruise ships are about people boarding with ANY type of virus...intestinal, rhino, flu..., the healthcare worker would have had an inkling that she shouldn't go on the cruise after possible exposure to the Ebola virus.

You would think.

You would also think, when asked, what Carnival was doing to keep Ebola off the ships, John Heald said that screening was in place.

So, did this person lie, or is Carnival not screening as they said they are.

And what now?

I agree with the last poster. If the lab worker knew it was the ebola virus that he/she was handling, he/she should have taken care and not boarded the ship. Now, everyone on that ship is potentially infected because though the person quarantined in the cabin, stewards still need to come and go plus food needs to be brought in, prior to the quarantine. What was this person thinking? Reckless? And can the person be a carrier without contracting the virus? Things to think about.

Blame the hospital as they knew perfectly well the threat they were dealing with. Their total incompetence and ignorance in not staging a quarantine for anyone that had anything to do with the patient is what got us here.

That hospital knows they screwed up big time with their arrogant attitude of "it could never happen to us". They are in the hot seat now, they knew exactly what they were dealing with period. Let me guess, the patient was sent home first time cuz maybe no insurance? Hmmmm....ah yes, always comes down to money, yeah don't kid yourself, they knew exactly what they were doing and why.....

Edited by Drazil65

Blame the hospital as they knew perfectly well the threat they were dealing with. Their total incompetence and ignorance in not staging a quarantine for anyone that had anything to do with the patient is what got us here.

That hospital knows they screwed up big time with their arrogant attitude of "it could never happen to us". They are in the hot seat now, they knew exactly what they were dealing with period. Let me guess, the patient was sent home first time cuz maybe no insurance? Hmmmm....ah yes, always comes down to money, yeah don't kid yourself, they knew exactly what they were doing and why.....

You apparently don't have all the facts.

totally agree. unbelievable that people in such a situation would think it was ok to board commercial aircraft or cruise ships.

Ditto that! These are health care workers! Where is their common sense??? Regardless of any training, or lack thereof, what are these people thinking? It makes me wonder about Eric Duncan being sent home on his first trip to Texas Presbyterian; he stated he'd been in Lyberia, the staff probably didn't know that was in West Africa. People's ignorance and stupidity is truly frightening.

totally agree. unbelievable that people in such a situation would think it was ok to board commercial aircraft or cruise ships.

a cynic would wonder if this is being done to spread concern to gain support to send more to the source of infection?

In a way I agree but these workers were not told that they could not fly or go on a cruise. I believe the CDC dropped the ball on that one.

I think possibly this is a rumour/misinformation or at worst scaremongering.

I can find no reference to the ship having suspected Ebola on the Lloyds of London web site, it seems that she is continuing with her cruise. :cool:

If I am proven wrong then I apologise, but from the information I have seen this is just not true.

I think this may depend on what her job was . If a nurse/ doctor or care assistant who does not routinely work in this sort of environment then it should have been a given not to travel both by the cdc and also through their own common sense.

However, if she is in fact a lab worker she may routinely work with bio hazard materials. Some researchers work in that environment every day (with stuff far worse than ebola, and there are no rules about what they do out of work unless they have had an exposure .

So we may need to wait to find out which this person was. Although I would still argue that the CDC has failed in this current out break wrt the nurses/ contacts of the ebola patient.

Edited by fragilek

I can find no reference to the ship having suspected Ebola on the Lloyds of London web site, it seems that she is continuing with her cruise. :cool:

If I am proven wrong then I apologise, but from the information I have seen this is just not true.

I would consider this to not be a rumor:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospital-worker-handled-ebola-samples-caribbean-cruise/story?id=26263642

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I just heard it on the local CBS News affiliate. They state that federal government officials are working to get the health care worker, and her companion, off of the ship, and that CBS News is working to have more on the story on its morning news.

Edit to add link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-cruise-ship-passenger-monitored-after-lab-work-in-dallas/

Edited by oceanseagle12
link

I also completely sympathise with Belize's stance on this. They simply don't have the resources to deal with the risk and they need to think of their own people first. I would hope my own country would do the same.

Having had the opportunity to stay in Belize's "best" hospital when dd was off-loaded from CCL Dream a few years ago with appendicitis, I would agree. They actually had no tubing for a blood test - they put a needle in my daughter's wrist literally let the blood drip into a test tube. My eyeballs almost popped out of my head!

You would think.

You would also think, when asked, what Carnival was doing to keep Ebola off the ships, John Heald said that screening was in place.

So, did this person lie, or is Carnival not screening as they said they are.

And what now?

I am not so sure screening would do anything - unless they started taking everyone's temp as they checked in. The paper "screening" they do now for illness really does nothing. I have had people coughing their lungs out in front and behind me on line - they hand in their paper at check-in without coughing, get on the ship, and continue coughing. Many people are inconsiderate when it comes to their hard-earned vacation, and don't want to miss it for anything.

I trust Carnival will take the correct steps and I'd sail on the next cruise in a heartbeat.

You would hope so, but so far NO ONE has taken the correct steps since this outbreak was first reported. My health as well as that of fellow passengers is worth far more than a cancelled cruise even if I had to eat the whole cost.

From John Heald

John Heald Good morning. I wanted to make sure that we clear something up as I see some of you are asking. Here is our official statement. Cheers

Late afternoon on Wednesday, Oct. 15., we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. At no point in time has the individual exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection and it has been 19 days since she was in the lab with the testing samples. She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew. It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and at this time it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board.

3 mins · Like