2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Btw. Post #424 claims it is current and still moored off Belize.

Not sure where this ship is ATM

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Post #424 has outdated info. When you look at the bottom of it you can see that it says the ETA arrival of the ship to arrive in Belize is 10/16/14 (yesterday).

John Heald posted on FB that the Magic is enroute back to Galveston.

What is the reason the ship was not allowed to port at Cozumel? Did the Mexicans refuse the ship due to ebola hysteria?

I have a Princess cruise booked for Jan. 18, leaving from Houston. Cozumel is one port,in addition to Belize. When I look at Princess web site to check prices on this cruise, there is no information at all. All sailings of the Emerald Princess are displaying no pricing information.

Does anyone think the cruise lines are trying to find new ports to stop at if countries start barring ships with Americans onboard?

Love how I can't get an answer

What was the ships normal

Route?

Leave from Texas

Then where

Then where

INTINARY

Cruise Schedule:

Galveston, Texas (12 Oct d1600);

Roatan, Honduras (15 Oct 0730-1800);

Belize City, Belize (16 Oct 0800-1700);

Cozumel, Mexico (17 Oct 0800-1600);

Galveston, Texas (19 Oct a0800)

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesoncarnivalmagic-12oct2014.html

Was just sitting here thinking.....

Making a couple of dangerous assumptions:

3,000 pax on Magic this week (likely a low number)

Average cost of a cabin ship wide and all sailings of $600.00 per person.

This latest event just cost Carnival around $1,500,000.00

3,000 x 200 (obc pp) = 600,000

3,000 x 300 (half off future trip) = 900,000

Total, $1,500,000

Amazing!

I know you can adjust these numbers for all kinds of factors like not all will use the half off future cruise etc, etc, etc.

Hopefully the passengers are enjoying their ship and I would be ecstatic about the compensation given if I was on that ship.

! :D

Why would the Company be responsible for any compensation?

I didn't say they were. Carnival gave them $200 obc and a discount on a future cruise.

Are we going to expect everyone that worked in that hospital to be tested to prove that they are not sick? She is not showing any symptoms which means that even if she was infected she is not shedding viral products. [That means there is nothing to clean up.]

There is absolutely no reason for "those lab tests".

So you feel someone who self quarantined and has caused a media sensation should not have their blood tested.

Ok whatever but the logical mind realizes that her blood cannot possibly be tested on the ship and regardless of symptoms or not we do not know a thing about anything until her blood tests negative

She handled the specimens ftlog of course she must be tested.

Edited by luvtheships

Post #424 has outdated info. When you look at the bottom of it you can see that it says the ETA arrival of the ship to arrive in Belize is 10/16/14 (yesterday).

John Heald posted on FB that the Magic is enroute back to Galveston.

Thanks. I thought the guy who posted it said it was current though

The devil is in the details they say

I think it's safe to say that we won't know the full extent of the situation until the Magic returns to US waters and government officials are able to fully examine the situation on board. Even then I don't think the Magic will be clear to sail for at least a few days.

I think we do. Much ado about nothing. When the hysteria debarks there will be nothing left to clean on the ship.

That seems odd. Carnival did nothing wrong so why should they provide any monetary compensation? Maybe the CDC or the Obama administration should pick up the tab. This whole Ebola thing continues to get "curioser and curiouser".

Are the airlines giving passengers any compensation or is it just the cruiseline?

Edited by travler27

It seems according to the original poster the circumstance is costing Carnival in lost revenue not refunds. Carnival is giving passengers on board credit which goes against their profitability for the cruise in question and offering a discount for a future cruise. This will also generate lost revenue compared to these people paying full price for a future cruise. Of course, not all of these people will use the future credit and some that would not have been able to pay the money to cruise again anytime in the next few years may now be able to, which in turn has a positive influence on Carnival because once those people are on board, Carnival is hoping they will spend enough money on drinks and other on board items to make up for the discount. If nothing, they got the people back on a Carnival ship and may be able to hook them on cruising their line from now on, so that would be a bonus to Carnival as well.

It is give and take, but I think Carnival is making a good, albeit unnecessary, decision, but then again, I'm not a Carnival accountant so what do I know? :p

I do know, I wish I was on that cruise right now! Not only the OBC & future discount, but I'd be on a cruise RIGHT NOW! ;) Ha ha!

Just thinking here....

If in the next month we find amber has not Infected anyone

And

If the lab tech test negative

And we don't hear of anyone else

Then god willing all will be ok

Of course we must restrict passage from west Africa. Other safety plans as well

Also lets not forget the cameraman who has is in the Nebraska hospital

And lets pray the stupid journalist who broke quarantine doesn't have it

Edited by luvtheships

Just thinking here....

If in the next month we find amber has not I devoted anyone

And

If the lab tech test negative

And we don't hear of anyone else

Then god willing all will be ok

Of course we must restrict passage from west Africa. Other safety plans as well

Also lets not forget the cameraman who has it in the Nebraska hospital

And lets pray the stupid journalist who broke quarantine doesn't have it

I am sure that it was mentioned as this thread is so long, my concern is with the employees who go back home during this period and live in the high risk countries then come back on the ship.

It seems according to the original poster the circumstance is costing Carnival in lost revenue not refunds. Carnival is giving passengers on board credit which goes against their profitability for the cruise in question and offering a discount for a future cruise. This will also generate lost revenue compared to these people paying full price for a future cruise. Of course, not all of these people will use the future credit and some that would not have been able to pay the money to cruise again anytime in the next few years may now be able to, which in turn has a positive influence on Carnival because once those people are on board, Carnival is hoping they will spend enough money on drinks and other on board items to make up for the discount. If nothing, they got the people back on a Carnival ship and may be able to hook them on cruising their line from now on, so that would be a bonus to Carnival as well.

It is give and take, but I think Carnival is making a good, albeit unnecessary, decision, but then again, I'm not a Carnival accountant so what do I know? :p

I do know, I wish I was on that cruise right now! Not only the OBC & future discount, but I'd be on a cruise RIGHT NOW! ;) Ha ha!

I agree the numbers can be argued both higher and lower. Was just crunching some numbers with dangerous assumptions.

Im also very with you on the "Wish I was on that cruise"!!! For all the same reasons.

No problem, Bostonian! It's all good.

Can anyone tell me why they don't just test these people on a daily basis? Why are they waiting for the fever, which according to a much-linked LA Times article is not present (as the first symptom) in 13% of cases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that when there are no symptoms it also means there is very little detectable virus and tests are therefore not that accurate; also there is not yet a quick test available,

A lot of posters are saying people are over-reacting, hysterical, should climb under their beds and hide etc.

Let's face facts here. The ball has been dropped, the US has under-reacted and that's why we're in this situation now. There are only 2 reported cases, right now, of workers who were directly exposed to Eric Duncan. This can potentially snowball into a full-blown epidemic here in the States. We are not prepared and haven't taken the precautions to prevent/contain this horrible disease.

Self-monitoring? What a joke, of course people are going to down-play any symptoms and lie on forms or to the CDC when reporting their daily temps. Open your eyes, this IS happening, it's for real.

You've got be kidding...

Do you really think that any of these poor people that work at this facility are not scared breathless for their lives?

Self-monitoring is something that they would be extremely interested in doing right now. Not for the sake of you and me, but so that they can get the care they need themselves as soon as anything resembling a symptom were to occur!

To say that they would be "hiding" the fact that they had symptoms in order to take a cruise is just crazy. If these people are having symptoms then they also realize that they are probably beginning the process of dying.

My understanding is that when there are no symptoms it also means there is very little detectable virus and tests are therefore not that accurate; also there is not yet a quick test available,

Yup. In looking at how ebola is detected via blood test, it's $250 a test in a $20k PCR machine. Doubtful that the ship or any port on the itinerary would have the capability. Also, testing each day for the duration of the incubation period would run $5000 a patient. Given that the hospital has about 80 people they are monitoring and Frontier put 800 people on alert, that's a lot of unnecessary testing and cost that might not yield a positive result, even if the patient is positive, but has a small viral load. Pretty much, they don't have a cheap reliable quick test, so the detection has to wait until physical symptoms are present.

Ebola certainly presents a strong argument for State sponsored research as the drug companies would not have seen it as a profitable venture.

Ironically if one of the companies had worked on it they would now stand to make a fortune but it did not fit into their 'quick buck' mindset.

passenger was lab supervisor in lab. Samples come in sealed tubes and are opened by machine. I would think that there ius no chance that she might have ebola. Carnival got a lot of bed press for the Triumph. I think they over did . BTW I am a major shareholder ( 100 shares) lol.AM leaving tomorrow for week on the Conquest and am not going to worry about who is sitting next to me .