Excursions sold out?

Pumba's mom

I just received an email from Princess today that shore excursions were open for booking for my May 2015 Cruisetour. I went online to take a look and it appears to be for the land portion only but most are sold out?? Is that possible day one?? Or could it be that they are not offering the excursion for that particular week?

Edited by Pumba's mom

You are likely too early. In the past, Princess would "list" excursions, but they wouldn't be completely set up and would become available later.

What tours are you looking at? There really isn't anything exclusive that would be "sold out" at this time.

We are going in August of next year and just got the same email. I noticed the same thing. Some are "not available" which I figured out were for times we would not be at the specific lodge. But the ones marked "sold out" I also assumed were in error. I was going to wait a while and check again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the same thing. We got the same email you did but I read it in the middle of the night and ran downstairs to book excursions. I was puzzled by so many Sold Out tags and checked itenerary times and a lot of excursions simply didn't fit the train/bus departure/arrival times. We couldn't get what we wanted in Talkeetna simply because times weren't right. Also found that the Kantishna Experience doesn't start running till June 6. Called Princess and they told me that more may be added. If you call, please post on this thread what they tell you. Very discouraging.

Also found that the Kantishna Experience doesn't start running till June 6. Called Princess and they told me that more may be added.

The shuttle buses and tour buses to Kantishna start June 8. Visit the Park's reservation site for more info. (also Princess has no control over the bus system, times or dates; that's Aramark so the dates won't be changing).

If Kantishna is your goal you might want to consider the shuttle instead.

$55 vs $175 .... same destination, same road, same stops. You have to provide your own lunch/drinks on the shuttle.

Descriptions for each:

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/kantishna-experience.aspx

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/kantishna.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

I am on the concierge tour for our May 23rd sailing. Since I was so panicked I called Princess. The guy I spoke with assured me that either some of the tours are not going to be offered because it is too early in the season for them or Princess has not made up their minds yet on what to offer. That being said, he did tell me some of the high end flights and helicopter rides and train rides were filling up. It would be better if they put "unavailable" instead of "sold out", since some might actually be on the verge of being sold out.

Thanks for that info. I was also confused by the sold out/not available listings. Will keep checking.

Does anyone have any private tours they would recommend for Fairbanks, Juneau, Skagway, etc. Princess ports, southbound in June.

There are hundreds of tours. You, first, need to determine what touring you are looking for- then find the independent vendors. The vendors are specific to the tours. I don't recommend or would ever use a booking agent in Alaska. But, looking at their listings will give you ideas on what is available.

There are hundreds of tours. You, first, need to determine what touring you are looking for- then find the independent vendors. The vendors are specific to the tours. I don't recommend or would ever use a booking agent in Alaska. But, looking at their listings will give you ideas on what is available.

Thanks for the reassurance. I felt it was too early, but friends on this trip are being told by our TA that spots fill up quickly and they should book early.

Not sure what a booking agent is. Been surfing the web trying to find some independent tours for touring. We don't want to do anything too strenuous as one in our group is not very mobile.

Thanks for the reassurance. I felt it was too early, but friends on this trip are being told by our TA that spots fill up quickly and they should book early.

Not sure what a booking agent is. Been surfing the web trying to find some independent tours for touring. We don't want to do anything too strenuous as one in our group is not very mobile.

As I mentioned, you need to determine the type of tour, first- then find a vendor. Taking a look at your shore excursion list and ranking your interests is one method to go.

There are a few excursions that do need booking now, only one that comes to mind, would be Anan bear watch.