Gem 2016

ihopfar

I admit that sailing without the need to fly into the port can be enough of a reason to sail out of NYC. Still some of these sailings have to contend with a massive Nor'Easter, and the water in the winter is denser and thus rougher. Booking a winter cruise out of NYC is asking for heavy seas.

Not true about the seas. I have sailed often out of NY in all seasons and have had some of the roughest seas in the summer. Sailed the Gem during a blizzard and was smooth all the way..asking what weather will be like for a certain week is like asking for next weeks lottery winning numbers.

5-26-27-47-49 Mega: 6

So, is the Gem really moving to Boston for 2016? I'm going to do a Bermuda cruise out of Boston that year and I'm hoping I can go bowling while at sea!! I think NCL will announce the new schedule in December most likely, correct?

I find these posts that cycle up on a regular basis pretty entertaining. The only folks that know the true schedules two+ years in advance are not posting here or any other public forum. The secrecy surrounding this info is huge. Even the existing schedules don't mean a whole lot as ships can be rearranged by NCL. In a couple of months the new schedules will be out. Until then, I read these for the entertainment value!! I think in general, the ports don't care about the ships nearly as much as the passenger count. So if NCL says we are going to give you 3000 passengers a week next year, I don't think the port cares much about what ship it is.;)

I've seen numerous posts on these boards where people get deployment information before they are announced by the cruise line. One way is that some ports list their ship schedule in advance of the cruise lines. Another way is that travel agents have access to online booking systems that list itineraries before they go on sale. Plus, travel agents get inside information from their cruise line reps on deployment before the announcement. Lastly, captains can give out deployment information (admittedly this is not always reliable). So putting all this information together to try and figure out future deployments is quite fun!

5-26-27-47-49 Mega: 6

So, is the Gem really moving to Boston for 2016? I'm going to do a Bermuda cruise out of Boston that year and I'm hoping I can go bowling while at sea!! I think NCL will announce the new schedule in December most likely, correct?

Who knows? It would seem that the Dawn will not be back, and I doubt that a 3000+ pax ship would be appropriate. But we will not know until NCL releases the schedules. Maybe the Gem. The spirit and the sky are a little smaller. The Jade would be a fun Repo cruise from Houston.

Agree... Our DDF was in hot tub/pool on first sea day in Jan, but couldn't on an Aug trip.... You never know

Flying and then sailing is way too much of a hassle. If I fly someplace, then I would rather stay there and forget the cruise.

Safe sailing

Safe sailing

What's a DDF?

I can only think of dear dumb....😳

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's a DDF?

I can only think of dear dumb....😳

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well....would u believe just a typo.....should of been just DD.....but I could say darling daughter Friend...As it was my DD and her friend.... u choose

Safe sailing

• 4 weeks later...
We had booked the Gem for Nov 1, 2015, 12 night cruise. The cruise was cancelled by NCL and my TA said reason given was dry dock. Makes you wonder what's up after that. We love the Gem and I hope it stays in NY.

Hi that is correct the Gem is going into dry dock november 2015...it was suppose to go into dry dock november 2014 but was cancelled to the following november...

As far as them selling the Gem, i don't think that is true...I am on the 10 Caribbean Sailing of the Gem on December 13, 2015.. and i know people that are sailing her in the summer of 2016...

• 3 weeks later...

Gem is not moving to Boston, staying in NY. However, during the winter, she is moving to San Juan to do Southern Caribbean itineraries. Deployment through April 2017 is available for booking starting Dec. 16th. Here are the details:

She will sail a seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan on October 23, November 6 and 20, and December 4, 2016. Ports of call will include Bridgetown, Barbados; Fort-de-France, Martinique; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Norwegian Gem will also sail a variation of the seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary on October 30, November 13, and November 27, 2016. Ports of call include St. George’s, Grenada; Castries, St. Lucia; Roseau, Dominica; St. John’s, Antigua; and Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

Gem is not moving to Boston, staying in NY. However, during the winter, she is moving to San Juan to do Southern Caribbean itineraries. Deployment through April 2017 is available for booking starting Dec. 16th. Here are the details:

She will sail a seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan on October 23, November 6 and 20, and December 4, 2016. Ports of call will include Bridgetown, Barbados; Fort-de-France, Martinique; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Norwegian Gem will also sail a variation of the seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary on October 30, November 13, and November 27, 2016. Ports of call include St. George’s, Grenada; Castries, St. Lucia; Roseau, Dominica; St. John’s, Antigua; and Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

Last cruise out of San Juan appears to be 12/4/16 I wonder if she will repo back to NYC at that point ? If so she is only gone for 3 months.

Last cruise out of San Juan appears to be 12/4/16 I wonder if she will repo back to NYC at that point ? If so she is only gone for 3 months.

It would be great it the Gem stayed in San Juan for the winter. I don't like the 9 days cruise from New York as they do not go the Southern Caribbean. A 7 day southern caribbean from the San Juan on the Gem would be great.

If the Gem stays in San Juan for the Winter 2017 season, what ship takes it place in New York? Or maybe it is just that the market if not great for winter cruises from New York.

It would be great it the Gem stayed in San Juan for the winter. I don't like the 9 days cruise from New York as they do not go the Southern Caribbean. A 7 day southern caribbean from the San Juan on the Gem would be great.

If the Gem stays in San Juan for the Winter 2017 season, what ship takes it place in New York? Or maybe it is just that the market if not great for winter cruises from New York.

I am sailing on the gem nect year on the December 13, 2015 sailing...I live

in New York but never took a cruise out of new york in December...can anyone

give me advice as to how the seas are at that time of the year? What

kind of seasickness medicine should I bring? I am booked also on the

N orweigian Breakaway on the 2 night CTN for December 11, 2015...so when the

cruise comes back on December 13th all I have to do is walk to the

next berth to get onto the gem....also how many rough sea days do we have,

before we start hitting warmer weather?

Cathy

Type of seas up to Mother Nature.

Warmer weather by next day - first sea day.

NCL gives out seasick pills at guest services. They work great. ..and yes we drink when taking them. Also pretzels and green apples work well too. You can find them in abundance at buffet.