Gem 2016

ihopfar

I started a separate post about this, as we are booked on an April 2016 cruise. Yesterday, my DH called the pre-cruise Concierge, who assured him our cruise was still listed. He also called the Latitudes number, and they assured him 2016 cruises are listed. He said, "maybe on your computers, but not the general public's."

Glad to say the listings for '16 have returned:)

However, I now think that NCL will sell/reposition the Gem after their last December 2015 cruise. Time will tell if I'm right or (hopefully) not right.

We had booked the Gem for Nov 1, 2015, 12 night cruise. The cruise was cancelled by NCL and my TA said reason given was dry dock. Makes you wonder what's up after that. We love the Gem and I hope it stays in NY.

I have had to schedule somewhat smaller corporate events in the past. Doing this stuff 6-12 months in the future is a real challenge.

How in the world a cruise line can make these decisions two years in advance is totally beyond my comprehension.

- Where will people WANT to sail from

- Where will people WANT to sail to

- What will the competition be

- What ships will we have in inventory

- What ports will sign a contract with us

- What homeport will sign an extended contract with us

- What will the economy be like - as in how many will be cruising

- What will airfares be like and will people fly to the port we are using

However, I now think that NCL will sell/reposition the Gem after their last December 2015 cruise. Time will tell if I'm right or (hopefully) not right.

I doubt NCL would sell the Gem to another cruise line, it's not a very old ship. It's their 4th newest ship, actually. 2007.

I would think they would get rid of the Sky, Sun, or Spirit first.

I doubt NCL would sell the Gem to another cruise line, it's not a very old ship. It's their 4th newest ship, actually. 2007.

AND - it is the same ship as the Jewel, Pearl, Jade, POA.

Rumors. Rumors. Rumors.

AND - it is the same ship as the Jewel, Pearl, Jade, POA.

Rumors. Rumors. Rumors.

POA isn't a Jewel class ship...the hull was built in the US, but the company building the ship went out of business. NCL purchased the hull and towed it to Germany for completion of the ship.

If you look at the POA it looks nothing like the Jewel class ships, is about 10 feet shorter than Gem and its gross tonnage is about 80,000 versus about 93,000 for the Gem.

I suspect you're confusing with the Pride of Hawaii, which eventually became the Jade.

Edited by njhorseman

I agree...it would make no sense to sell the Gem. It's the newest of the four Jewel class ships and the newest non mega-ship in the fleet.

POA isn't a Jewel class ship...the hull was built in the US, but the company building the ship went out of business. NCL purchased the hull and towed it to Germany for completion of the ship.

If you look at the POA it looks nothing like the Jewel class ships, is about 10 feet shorter than Gem and its gross tonnage is about 80,000 versus about 93,000 for the Gem.

I suspect you're confusing with the Pride of Hawaii, which eventually became the Jade.

Actually about 100 feet shorter...I accidentally omitted the last zero.

Boston>Bermuda is one of the most popular routes and it is rumored to be getting a new ship. The Dawn may be replacing the GEM on that route, and the Dawn will start a new route perhaps? All this growth with new ships, some things are going to get shifted around. That's for sure!

Edited by SeaportMike

Boston>Bermuda is one of the most popular routes and it is rumored to be getting a new ship. The Dawn may be replacing the GEM on that route, and the Dawn will start a new route perhaps? All this growth with new ships, some things are going to get shifted around. That's for sure!

It has been rumored for a while that the Dawn will not be the Boston to Bermuda ship in 2016. The Dawn's last posted cruise is 7 days out of NOLA. The Boston to Bermuda cruises start on May 1st plus or minus a few days. The NOLA cruise returns to NOLA May 8th, and a return to Boston could not happen any sooner than mid-May.

I think it is safe to say another ship will be in Boston for the summer of 2016. The Jewel is headed to Alaska. The Epic is in Barcelona, Spain in mid April 2016 and a TA could put it in Boston at the right time, but not many TA cross the North Atlantic in the spring. Plus I think 4000+ pax is a lot for Boston. The Sun is in SF at the end of April, cross that off. The Star is possible, as is the Jade. I'd cross of the Sky only because it is older and smaller than the Dawn.

Then there is the Norwegian Escape which launches in Oct 2015. Where will it sail from? It could be that it replaces the Gem in NYC in the late fall of 2015. Then after some new winter home port, it does the spring 2016 relocation to Boston.w In the reading the future game, that is my bet. Second choice is Gem to Houston and the Jade to boston.

Edited by untailored bostonian

It has been rumored for a while that the Dawn will not be the Boston to Bermuda ship in 2016. The Dawn's last posted cruise is 7 days out of NOLA. The Boston to Bermuda cruises start on May 1st plus or minus a few days. The NOLA cruise returns to NOLA May 8th, and a return to Boston could not happen any sooner than mid-May.

I think it is safe to say another ship will be in Boston for the summer of 2016. The Jewel is headed to Alaska. The Epic is in Barcelona, Spain in mid April 2016 and a TA could put it in Boston at the right time, but not many TA cross the North Atlantic in the spring. Plus I think 4000+ pax is a lot for Boston. The Sun is in SF at the end of April, cross that off. The Star is possible, as is the Jade. I'd cross of the Sky only because it is older and smaller than the Dawn.

Then there is the Norwegian Escape which launches in Oct 2015. Where will it sail from? It could be that it replaces the Gem in NYC in the late fall of 2015. Then after some new winter home port, it does the spring 2016 relocation to Boston.w In the reading the future game, that is my bet. Second choice is Gem to Houston and the Jade to boston.

The Escape's itineraries are not a mystery. They are known and available for sale on NCL's website. It is doing Eastern Caribbean cruises from Miami right up through early May, 2016, so it's not replacing the Gem in NYC in the fall of 2015...plus NCL has stated the Escape will be homeported in Miami year round, so I doubt that will change so soon after her launch. Other than POA's Hawaiian itinerary nothing else is officially known about any ship past early 2016.

Edited by njhorseman

The Escape's itineraries are not a mystery. They are known and available for sale on NCL's website. It is doing Eastern Caribbean cruises from Miami right up through early May, 2016, so it's not replacing the Gem in NYC in the fall of 2015...plus NCL has stated the Escape will be homeported in Miami year round, so I doubt that will change so soon after her launch. Other than POA's Hawaiian itinerary nothing else is officially known about any ship past early 2016.

Yeah I know they are listed in Miami until the spring of 2016. I looked that up after the post. So take my guesses with that grain of salt.

It could be relocated to NYC in the spring of 2016. What are the other ships in Miami? The Pearl, Sky, Getaway and the Escape I think. That is 2 4000+ pax ships. I think NYC could also support 2 4000+ pax ships in the summer. That is more or less what I was thinking. The Pearl is out of Miami, but it looks like it is going to the west coast in the summer of 2016. After that I wonder where it will the Pearl ill relocate.

BTW, why anyone wants to sail out of NYC in the winter is beyond me.

Still the Dawn is not going to be in Boston in the summer of 2016, so who knows what ship will replace it.

Edited by untailored bostonian

To get away from the winter in NYC...of course ..:rolleyes:;)

Man the chances of hitting a major ocean storm on the way out or the way back seems like not worth the risk. Plus 2 days out and two days back are going to be too cold to go outside. I think I'd fly to FLL or MIA and leave from there.

Yeah I know they are listed in Miami until the spring of 2016. I looked that up after the post. So take my guesses with that grain of salt.

It could be relocated to NYC in the spring of 2016. What are the other ships in Miami? The Pearl, Sky, Getaway and the Escape I think. That is 2 4000+ pax ships. I think NYC could also support 2 4000+ pax ships in the summer. That is more or less what I was thinking. The Pearl is out of Miami, but it looks like it is going to the west coast in the summer of 2016. After that I wonder where it will the Pearl ill relocate.

BTW, why anyone wants to sail out of NYC in the winter is beyond me.

Still the Dawn is not going to be in Boston in the summer of 2016, so who knows what ship will replace it.

On some days there is both the carnival splendor and Norwegian breakaway docked in NY. Each ships holds over 3000 pax so the port can handle the load

To get away from the winter in NYC...of course ..:rolleyes:;)

Man the chances of hitting a major ocean storm on the way out or the way back seems like not worth the risk. Plus 2 days out and two days back are going to be too cold to go outside. I think I'd fly to FLL or MIA and leave from there.

Cruising from NY in the winter is great...we never have to worry about missing our cruise because the airports are closed due to a snowstorm.

We've encountered as many storms at sea during warm weather as we have in the winter, and in the winter you won't be diverted due to a hurricane.

The one day (not two, in our experience) in each direction with cold weather is no worse to deal with than killing one day in each direction flying to and from a southern port. I'd rather be on a ship even when it's cold outside than dealing with airport security lines and airlines that have made flying a chore with overcrowded cabins and no customer service .

Edited by njhorseman

Cruising from NY in the winter is great...we never have to worry about missing our cruise because the airports are closed due to a snowstorm.

We've encountered as many storms at sea during warm weather as we have in the winter, and in the winter you won't be diverted due to a hurricane.

The one day (not two, in our experience) in each direction with cold weather is no worse to deal with than killing one day in each direction flying to and from a southern port. I'd rather be on a ship even when it's cold outside than dealing with airport security lines and airlines that have made flying a chore with overcrowded cabins and no customer service .

LIKE!!!!! (plus--I do not like to fly.:o.and have not done so for many years)

Sailing out of NY is one of the best cruise experiences we have had. In the winter getting to explore the ship the first day and by nightfall or sooner the next day, warm weather. I love the Gem! I can also spend a bit more on my cabin an spending money as opposed to spending it all on airlines, hotels and car service since the port is so close to home.

This. Exactly. We sailed out of NYC on January 1st and on Day 2, were already in the pool thanks to that gulf stream.

Agree... Our DDF was in hot tub/pool on first sea day in Jan, but couldn't on an Aug trip.... You never know

Flying and then sailing is way too much of a hassle. If I fly someplace, then I would rather stay there and forget the cruise.

Safe sailing

Safe sailing

On some days there is both the carnival splendor and Norwegian breakaway docked in NY. Each ships holds over 3000 pax so the port can handle the load

It is not just a matter of getting on and off, but that out of NYC filling the ships is no problem. In Miami you have many more pax per week, and then there's the Fort Lauderdale ships just to the North. I wonder if for some part of the year NYC will have two of the larger NCL ships.

Agree... Our DDF was in hot tub/pool on first sea day in Jan, but couldn't on an Aug trip.... You never know

Flying and then sailing is way too much of a hassle. If I fly someplace, then I would rather stay there and forget the cruise.

Safe sailing

Safe sailing

I admit that sailing without the need to fly into the port can be enough of a reason to sail out of NYC. Still some of these sailings have to contend with a massive Nor'Easter, and the water in the winter is denser and thus rougher. Booking a winter cruise out of NYC is asking for heavy seas.