Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

Can't wait to board the Quantum on 23rd Jan 15 sailing.

Hope someone can answer my queries:

1) Is there a meet the Captain night where we get to dress up formally and take photos? This was available in the other RC cruises that we have been before where we get to take photos with the Capitain during one of the Formal Night. Not sure how this works with Dynamic Dining.

2) We don't seem to be able to buy the photo package online prior to the sailing. How much is the unlimited photo package and is it offered onboard?

3) Are the speciality cocktails in the menus offered at a charge or are they free?

4) Two 70 seems to have very limited seating. For the Star Water show, are there sufficient seats for all audience who have booked the show?

5) Anyone with 2 balcony connecting rooms managed to get their balcony dividers opened up?

Thanks

Everything is amazing! You won't believe everything! All of the sights and sounds! I wish the O3B internet was available! I have some good photos!

Tried several times to upload photos but it's taking so long. Need to get another internet package!

Glad you are having such a great time. :D

Too bad the ship internet is playing up, it has always bad, but supposed to be so much better now.

For whomever asked about RCCL specific patterns at Michael Kors, the answer is yes they will have them but not until future sailings - she wasn't sure when. They did not make it onboard for our crossing. So I don't have anything I can take a picture of for you.

The first night onboard I was able to fill out all of my activity waivers on the TV in the cabin. we couldn't do them in advance online from home but were able to do them here.

Circus School, bumper cars, roller skating, rock wall (when open) and the Northstar have so far been "walk up and sign up/queue up". iFly has been by appointment. I'll be doing it on Friday morning (so excited!)

For those of you who know about our flash mob (and why we're doing it), it will be Wednesday afternoon (later today). I'm sure there will be plenty of pics and videos when we can get them posted.

We have tons of photos from the cabin crawl, but not enough internet bandwidth to post them. We are not on the newer, faster system, so our connection is pretty slow and spotty. We know everyone is anxious to see them, and we are just as anxious to share but at the moment that capability is beyond us. Yesterday it took me 8 minutes and 3 refreshes just to get one pic uploaded to Shutterfly. We love you all and I don't want offend anyone, but I don't plan to spend my time onboard babysitting the ipad while it tries to upload pictures at these slow speeds. :)

I'm an early-to-bed-early-to-rise person and with us gaining hours each night I am awake early enough that I have some quiet time before my day starts to post and reply to what I can.

Diamond lounge has been the standard continental breakfast and hors d'oeuvres at night. No hot food ordering for breakfast or lunch. From speaking to friends who are in the Concierge lounge, it's the same there. There is not a sit down and order meal like on Oasis/Allure.

Two70 Cafe has become my favorite for both breakfast and lunch as you can get hot or cold items. Breakfast they have several breakfast wrap, egg sandwich choices along with a bagel bar with an impressive array of toppings. At lunch that turns into a salad bar and you can get paninis, wraps etc. This morning we are going to try the American Icon Grill for a sit down and order breakfast. That is complimentary.

In fact Two70 in general has become a favorite spot for me to sit on the ship. When the shades are up, the view out the back of the wake is very soothing and tranquil. There is a bar right there along with the cafe, and the library with some computers is on one corner of the upstairs deck. Everything you could want in one spot. It's a popular venue but so far has never felt overly crowded and we have not had trouble finding a spot to sit and be comfortable. There is stadium style seating both on the main floor and the upper deck. We haven't had a show in there yet as many of them have been postponed due to the high winds and seas. As I type this in the early morning I can already tell a big difference in the ship motion. We are definitely in calmer seas, so I am hopeful that today's shows will happen as planned. At that point I can let you know if the seating seemed adequate for the guests with reserved seats.

Okay, that's it for the morning for me. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. How can mine be anything but wonderful since I am aboard this gorgeous new lady? :)

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

6 am - Cafe Promenade

Quantum of the Seas - Deck 4

Good morning. I thought I would take a gander at what folks are saying about this maiden voyage of QOTS and chime in.

So far - and overall, it's been a positive experience.

Cabin: Deck 12 Spa Junior Suite. Spacious, roomy, and luxurious. Love having two bathrooms. Mid ship location, close to elevators and quiet. Glitches included a bed headboard that wasn't drilled to the wall (fortunate there were no injuries given the rough seas), overflowing toilet and inoperational TV. All have been resolved. Only downside is that lighting in the water closet/toilet room isn't as bright as it should be.

Food: High point so far has been Jamie's. Be sure to ask for "outdoor" seating along the Via. Great people watching opportunity. Porchetta main was exceptional as was the pasta vongole. Low point so far was Grande. We felt the venue was a glorified MDR with subpar food quality. Lobster bisque was bad and the tiny shrimp in the "jumbo prawn cocktail" appetizer may have gotten even smaller. We are looking forward to trying Wonderland tonight. Decor is over the top wonderful. Coastal Kitchen didn't meet our expectations but perhaps things will improve with experience. Diamond concierge told us that we should consider ourselves fortunate to have pre booked all of our dinner reservations as many of the specialty restaurants are sold out.

Entertainment. Mamma Mia. Two thumbs up. We will be seeing this again tonight. Last nights guest entertainer was very good (Turner from Las Vegas). Bumper cars are a hoot. Haven't tried ifly yet but will at some point this week. Seaplex deck very well thought out. Can imagine this to be a very popular place in warmer climates.

Technology: Wifi very slow. Inoperational in cabin but working well here on Deck 4. Supposed to improve as we get closer to the US. TV had issues but appears to have been resolved. Not a fan of the rubber wristbands but can see them being used when at the pool. Lighting and special effects in theaters and around the ship are top notch. I LOVE the Harry Potter-esque curtains in 270. Mesmerizing.

Art: Not a fan of the animals with lipstick in the elevators. Sculptures and paintings throughout the ship very nice. All do not have labels yet. Many works still being set up. Overall, modern and tasteful. Park West Galleries holding Art auctions daily. I'm an art consultant who knows to steer clear of them.

Seas have been rough these last few days. Several pax with injuries. Much calmer today and hoping for more of the same this week.

Overall, Quantum is a great ship and is by far the most superior in the fleet. RCL has done a terrific job assessing and delivering what the modern day cruiser wants.

Don't blame the epic failure check in on Southampton. We have been in and out of there number out times and it has always been top notch.....until oasis transatlantic...which was worse than an epic failure IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed.

We last went out of Southampton on Adventure in August and it was quick and easy as usual. If Southampton can't cope I pity the poor souls in New York.

Is it just that the numbers are simply too big? I can't begin to imagine the crowds around the pools when the ship cruises warmer climates.

Henry

Any pictures of the rooms from the cabin crawl ?

Yes , I'd particularly like to see a cat DO, obstructed balcony, the ones with the davits (hope that's right?) in front and are classed 75% obstructed if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My gut feel is that the Captain does whatever is the best thing to do for the health of the person who is ill.

We are currently approaching Punta Delgada the Azores according to the 'view from the bridge' on the stateroom TV.

When we made a similar stop on the Liberty TA last April a boat left the ship with one of the medical staff to transfer the patient personally over to the hospital staff.

While we did not enter the port, we had a clear view of Navigator that had a call in port that same day. That may have had an effect on how it was handled though as RCI had a port agent from Navigator already on duty to assist with the transfer.

I am sure someone will update with photos later today.

Yes , I'd particularly like to see a cat DO, obstructed balcony, the ones with the davits (hope that's right?) in front and are classed 75% obstructed if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check post #660 on page 33 for a picture of a DO cabin- not sure if it is 50% DO or 75% DO.

John posted quite a few pix to his blog. We're very impressed with Quantum's beautiful decor and we like our cabin, 10262, a D7. Meals so far at Jamie's Italian (outstanding!!), American Icon (OK), and Chic (very good). I'll post some menu photos soon, but in the mean time, check out John's blog post. The link's in my signature or else you can just google TravelwithMindy.

Nothing better than first hand information. The Captain just stopped by the D Lounge and greeted all the guests present personally.

The Captain stated we will pull into Punta Delgada at 11:15 AM and will be met by a boat. If there are medical staff from the hospital on the boat the transfer can be done shipside, but if that is not the case, medical staff from the ship will follow and return.

I am wondering if he used 'local time' as we are currently one hour behind the Azores and the island has just become clearly visible off the starboard side from the windows of the D Lounge. It is currently 09:39 Ship's Time.

The crossing will not face a delay due to this stop.

You may have to wait. Just as with any restaurant where you make reservations..the table still needs to be available. If service or diners are particularly slow, there may be a slight wait.

Thanks. Is that what you found when you went? Which restaurant did you have to wait for? Let me know as my DH cannot physically wait so we will change to restaurants that have no wait.

Thanks, it is always good to have first hand information.

I've really been enjoying following this thread :) I've got my eye on Anthem for our next cruise, just waiting for the appropriate schedules to come out.

I have a question following the recent complaints about the Oasis transatlantic. Since this is being touted as an all-weather ship, and you all have been largely cooped up inside thus far, have you felt any crowding or monotony in the day? (I recognize the newness will probably influence that answer)

I don't know if this has been answered but what dining menus are available to order from in the Suites - the SGS has the wraparound balcony with a table for outdoor dining and supposedly one of the Suite perks is the ability to order from a Dining Room Menu (different than the standard room service menu).

Thanks

Pat

I have a question following the recent complaints about the Oasis transatlantic. Since this is being touted as an all-weather ship, and you all have been largely cooped up inside thus far, have you felt any crowding or monotony in the day? (I recognize the newness will probably influence that answer)

Thats a great question and Im interested in this too. On our first cruise on Indy out of Southampton the first few days were wet n windy and you couldnt find a seat anywhere inside to sit down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if this has been answered but what dining menus are available to order from in the Suites - the SGS has the wraparound balcony with a table for outdoor dining and supposedly one of the Suite perks is the ability to order from a Dining Room Menu (different than the standard room service menu).

Thanks

Pat

Pat, thanks for asking this. Would like to know this as well.

It was $59.95 a day I believe. It was posted in a photo on social media site with info about other package options- I believe $30 for an hour, $189 for unlimited 1 device for length of cruise, $229 or $239 for 2 devices for unlimited for length of cruise

Thank you, are there still C&A coupons to help?

John posted quite a few pix to his blog. We're very impressed with Quantum's beautiful decor and we like our cabin, 10262, a D7. Meals so far at Jamie's Italian (outstanding!!), American Icon (OK), and Chic (very good). I'll post some menu photos soon, but in the mean time, check out John's blog post. The link's in my signature or else you can just google TravelwithMindy.

Mindy, Thanks for the link to the blog. Great pictures!! :D

Good to hear from you Mindy... will check your photos thank you

Can't remember if it was asked here or on the FB page, but Circus School is happening. Trapeze was yesterday and today. I took some photos but can't seem to get them uploaded to Shutterfly. I'll post them when the connection seems to stabilize.

I asked, so thank you! Can't wait to see the photos!