Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

Hi everyone - first report. Let me caveat, I love Royal and am ridiculously positive, enough to be accused being a cheerleader (read my reviews), so for me to say something negative, is very rare.

I have a friend on board who email me and stated no computers were working at any bar. Free alcohol and on board credit given for the first day nightmare. Are there any other things gone wrong since day 1

I have a friend on board who email me and stated no computers were working at any bar. Free alcohol and on board credit given for the first day nightmare. Are there any other things gone wrong since day 1

I cannot see how free drinks because the computers aren't working are a problem.

What can I say!! Superb service And I couldn't have asked for more. I didn't raise a fuss with any of the complaints I made did it politely and they have sorted it. Very impressed!

So happy to hear things were sorted out for you. Now your wife just needs to feel better.

Being polite and not raising a fuss always gets better results.:) Recently had a small issue on the GOS and only wanted to point it out. Matre d' flew out of sight, then came back with a bottle of champagne.

But of an update. Had a call from the food and beverage director last night asking to schedule an appointment with me today. Just had that appointment. A great guy and we had a good batter over coffee and chocolates!

All restaurants will from tonight have a basic kids menu running! He completely agreed they should have one in place and he apologises and has sorted it

Also sorrentos and a few other places on deck 4 will now have drinks available all day and morning he said it was an oversight on their part and something they hadn't thought of

What can I say!! Superb service And I couldn't have asked for more. I didn't raise a fuss with any of the complaints I made did it politely and they have sorted it. Very impressed!

I am glad that a ship's officer stepped up and took responsibility and actually fixed something. I wonder if the letters, emails, and surveys from the OAS TA started to reach RCL headquarters about how this was not done on our cruise. If this was to happen on our trip, nothing would have done until the kids would formed picket lines with signs prior to dinner.

Just saw this video of cabin 12696 on the Quantum of the Seas, looks like a D2 Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony. It looks small in the video to me.

It looks really nice! I like that RCL has not compromised balcony sizes like some other cruise lines have with their newest ships.

Thanks for everyone's help.

3 quick questions, and I'm sorry if I missed this already.

1) What is on the new room service menu?

2) Where have people dined for breakfast? What are some new/different options?

3) What was open for lunch when you boarded the ship?

Yes, I can't wait to eat!!!

Can someone ask about the surf & turf in American Icon and if it will be offered once the ship gets to the USA please?

I made dinner reservations based around that menu item :D

Thanks

Donna

So there won't be lobster at any restaurant?:eek:

I haven't had very good luck with the internet service. It comes and goes. O2B satellite service isn't expected to be available for this crossing. So I'm just reporting on a few items.

*Self Check-in and Baggage Tracking - from our perspective, this did not go as expected for this cruise. Since they only took delivery of the ship about seven days ago, the crew is still familiarizing themselves with the new software and iPads.

The photo upload didn't serve any purpose; as far as we can tell, every passenger had their photo taken again. Our check-in took approximately 45 minutes (1300-1345). Not bad just chaotic with no clear direction on what to do.

We were given bar codes for our luggage pieces but we couldn't find any scanning feature associated with the RoyalIQ and the crew member who helped us at the RoyalIQ desk was not aware that we should be able to track our luggage.

*SeaPass Cards & WOW Bands: Sea Pass cards were in a card fitted into our stateroom number sign outside our door & work well. Our WOW bands were inside our cabin and seemed to be hit or miss so we took those off (they were complimentary for this cruise) & just use the SeaPass cards. For future cruisers who wanted to know; the wow bands will not get you on & off if the ship

Reporting on Balcony Stateroom

*Laid out well - the bed and living area can be swapped so that the bed is near the balcony or near the door

*two separate, standing wardrobes; one has two bottom drawers, open cubbies, the room safe and a small hanging area. The other wardrobe has an upper and lower hanging area which is fairly wide and has wire "baskets" on the inside of the door. (No place for long gowns, per se, but you can make do with the one wardrobe)

*one large chest of drawers with a locking refrigerator. Fortunately, there were no mini-bar items in ours leaving it free for our use.

*the drawers in the wardrobes and chest of drawers are easy-close

*the vanity shelving with the flip out mirrors is gone.

*the vanity mirror is large, round and has a ring light

*there are two U.S. outlets, one European outlet as well as two USB plugs on the vanity

*The coffee table is no longer there (which we always asked to be removed anyway). However the vanity table slides easily and can be pulled up to the sofa.

*Large, flat screen TV with a place beneath it to put magazines, cruise compass, etc. (This cruise: movies are pay-per-view, you can access your account

*one bedside U.S. electrical outlet (nearest the balcony door)

*Bathroom is such a great change! Same amount of space, it seems, but laid out much smarter. Thank goodness that shower curtain is gone and the shower door is curved outward allowing more space in the shower! Electrical outlets in the bathroom help, too. You don't have the corner closing cabinet but there are shelves. The tissue box holder isn't in the bathroom but tissues are provided on the vanity now.

Ship's Appearance: Gorgeous! Gorgeous! More on that at a later posting!

Can someone ask about the surf & turf in American Icon and if it will be offered once the ship gets to the USA please?

I made dinner reservations based around that menu item :D

Thanks

Donna

AS did I!!!

Just saw this video of cabin 12696 on the Quantum of the Seas, looks like a D2 Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony. It looks small in the video to me.

It draws some similarity with Celebrity S Class cabins. Similar size and layout. Bathroom almost identical, over bed storage. Im not sure about the look of the vanity unit in the bedroom area, looks a bit like flat pack furniture with a sharp corner that could be dangerous if the ship is moving. The couch looks very basic and hard being made from slabs of solid foam by the look of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pee Wee, I'm glad the children's menu and the bar issue has been taken care of. Hope your wife is better soon. I've been in a stateroom at the end in the bow of the ship 5 times. Usually it is fine, but once I rolled out of bed due to rocking of the ship. On another, ship we had to anchor. Oh my, that was LOUD!

Tracey, thank you for the detailed update. I'm hooked on this thread.

Wondering how this configuration sets up with beds separated? Perhaps the small nightstand I saw on the left side (probably one on the right as well) are moved in between the two beds. Seems like the closets would limit the amount of movement of the beds.

Does the tv swivel and be watched from the sofa? I guess one could borrow the foot stools from the balcony to use in front of the sofa. I'm a feet up tv watcher. :p

It draws some similarity with Celebrity S Class cabins. Similar size and layout. Bathroom almost identical, over bed storage. Im not sure about the look of the vanity unit in the bedroom area, looks a bit like flat pack furniture with a sharp corner that could be dangerous if the ship is moving. The couch looks very basic and hard being made from slabs of solid foam by the look of it.

Cabin looks like a standard balcony cabin When the bed is by the balcony, it might appear larger.

Celebrity S Class bathroom is way better. It has plenty of storage.....upper and lower cabinets with doors in the bathroom so nothing falls out. I couldn't believe all the storage in the S Class bathroom.

Bay of Biscay? Maybe they're going to the wrong Bayonne! :eek:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bayonne,+France/@43.4843995,-1.4610646,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0d51408b63ded46f:0x9d4bd7d3d9323d5c

Thank you to all the intrepid reporters! I'm really enjoying following along and getting ready for the 23rd.

PeeWee--hope the family is feeling better. I take Bonine at night and am hoping that I'm not sick going down the Atlantic seaboard.

Joan

Edited by joand452

Thanks to everyone for all the information and pictures. I can't wait to board.

One question about all the dining venues. We made all our reservations ahead of time. When we arrive at the dining venue at our reservation time, will we have to wait to be seated? Also,will we get a table to ourselves or will we have to share a table?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if the bar napkins have a crown and anchor logo or are generic white?

:p

Kidding! To all the reporters, thanks! I'm enjoying it all. I suspect my first trip on this class will be an Athem. I'll be searching for youtube videos to see how Royal works the I-fly and watching those reports.