RCL excursions

pal2pluto

I've never done RCL excursions, always did my own, but this time, we booked with them for convenience. (yeah, I know it probably costs more) For their own excursions, how do they get you there? When will we find out where to meet? Can anyone explain how it works so I have one less thing to think about??? LOL!

I've never done RCL excursions, always did my own, but this time, we booked with them for convenience. (yeah, I know it probably costs more) For their own excursions, how do they get you there? When will we find out where to meet? Can anyone explain how it works so I have one less thing to think about??? LOL!

On of the nice things about Royal Excursions is that frequently the people running them are allowed closer to the ship than the people who run private ones. (varies with port) The tickets you receive usually say where and when to meet and you will usually see people holding up signs for your excursion.

Its my understanding that if your group is late getting back, the ship will not leave port without you if the excursion was booked through Royal.

Edited by WilsonFamilyNRH

The tickets have instructions about where and when to meet (usually onboard in the theatre or similar venues). Your party needs to arrive at the same time, you get a sticker with your tour number and you get seated with everyone else on the same tour (there are sometimes multiple tour numbers for the same tour). Then they call out your tour number and a crew member with your number on a lollipop sign leads you off the ship to the appropriate bus or transport. It is a little bit tedious but you are guaranteed that if your tour is late returning the ship will wait.

My family and I usually do book through RCI and never had a problem. In Europe I try to book excursions that have lunch and snacks in the tour. And I must say the cafes and restaurants they take you to have always been top notch. I have no problems booking tours with RCI. Last year we had lunch in the Eiffel Tour. Great view and the food was very good. :)

The tickets have instructions about where and when to meet (usually onboard in the theatre or similar venues)..

While this does happen, I think it would be a a stretch to call use the term USUALLY. I do know its a very common way to meet for post cruise excursions. By far the majority of port excursions meeting off the ship nearby.

If you mention the specific excursion you'll probably get a more specific answer...well maybe. ;)

Its my understanding that if your group is late getting back, the ship will not leave port without you if the excursion was booked through Royal.

That is always what I heard too and for me I figure ill pay a few extra bucks just to be safe.

Also, if you purchase your shore excursions before you board, the tickets are left in your stateroom by your room attendant. If memory serves, usually at turndown on the day of boarding. There have been rare occasions when I had to run down the tickets...usually on those rare occasions when we were upgraded.

I thought the excursions thru Royal were terrific. I had peace of mind knowing they were paid for & booked. It was our first cruise in March. All the tickets with the information on them were waiting in our room when we got on. One tour was about an hour late getting back & the guide said don't worry the ship will wait & continued on with the tour. And it did. My husband was the last one coming down the dock & staff assisted him to the ship to try to hurry him up. He has problems walking & as soon as his feet hit the deck, they pulled in the plank. So, yes, the ship will wait for the tours to return.

Do you pay for the RCI excursions before you sail or afterwards? Can you cancel an excursion up to (maybe 24 hrs) the event?

thanks

You can book/pay before and yes, 24 hours notice to cancel. I booked mine on board first day, so I could use my on board credit. I liked both- private and cruise line tours and depending on the tour the price difference was minimal.

I thought the excursions thru Royal were terrific..

My main problem with Royal's excursions was at one point I had a 33% cancellation rate. I also don't fully trust their statements about the cancellations. I've never had a private company cancel an excursion on me. Of all the cancellations, about 1/2 I was notified before getting on the ship.